NEW PRODUCTION

mgsboedmisodpc2

Re: NEW PRODUCTION
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2013, 10:47 pm »
well a great benefit to a new model would be all of those old models soon to be sold off on ebay.  Maybe I will get my chance to move from a WTC to a WTL

doak

« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2013, 10:52 pm »
well a great benefit to a new model would be all of those old models soon to be sold off on ebay.  Maybe I will get my chance to move from a WTC to a WTL

Good luck - though my WTA won't be going anywhere.    :icon_lol:

Doak

mick wolfe

« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2013, 05:03 am »

I doubt if you'll see anything of the sort. Most current WTA owners are pretty content with their present set-ups. (and that includes me) Those who are curious will do the tonearm upgrade. Chances are better that any remaining older version WTA's ( $2850 ) will look more desirable than ever.

ADiG

« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2013, 11:41 am »
In my opinion, it makes no sense to change by Amadeus/Amadeus GTA and their respective versions MKII.
If you notice well, apart from the fact that they hide the golf ball that many do not like, it seems that the designer, after Symplex and Versalex, where the arm through the ball, and returned to the tonearm above, increasing the distance between the barrel of the arm and the joint, as occurs in the LTD Symmetrex (but it was already so nell'Amadeus)!

Probably the squash ball under the tonearm will not suffer under the weight of the new arm - it means that we will try with the squash ball with the blue point!  :D

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2013, 02:19 pm »
In my opinion, it makes no sense to change by Amadeus/Amadeus GTA and their respective versions MKII.

Makes sense if the sound is improved.

See the link that I posted above for a discussion of the claimed sonic benefits of the new design (shifting the center of gravity relative to the pivot point).

Heck, also makes sense if the revised cosmetics lead to greater sales and customer (or spouse) satisfaction. Many audiophiles and their spouses are concerned about both the look and sound of their systems.

threadkiller

« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2013, 02:30 pm »
Very true... Most audiophiles buy with their eyes.

And agree, no one will dump their older models, since one can upgrade if desired.
I'll admit, it does have a cleaner look, much like the original WTL arm championed by J Gordon Holt.
I still don't like that the tonearm cables now attach to the arm post- one has to hold tightly the junction box so that the arm doesn't move about. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2013, 04:19 pm »
Very true... Most audiophiles buy with their eyes.

And agree, no one will dump their older models, since one can upgrade if desired.
I'll admit, it does have a cleaner look, much like the original WTL arm championed by J Gordon Holt.
I still don't like that the tonearm cables now attach to the arm post- one has to hold tightly the junction box so that the arm doesn't move about.

Yes, I have to totally agree on that one. I really like where the RCA's are mounted on the original version. Sometimes I wonder why they don't make the tonearm/headshell  one monolithic piece instead of having the single screw attachment between headshell and arm tube. It is totally optimized in that position. Why not "mold" the headshell into the arm tube? On a minor note, I don't think it would take a lot more engineering to incorporate a system for making minor leveling adjustments built into the table itself. Now with all this said, I still must admit I totally pleased with my current WTA as is. Sonically it's spooky good.....maybe even great.

jshefik

« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2013, 01:14 am »
What am I missing. How can this be upgraded from the present Amadeus? There is only one small hole in the plinth of the MK II and the original has 2 large holes for the ball cup and the arm tower.

threadkiller

« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2013, 02:11 am »
Okay, here we go...this is how it works.
Firebaugh has been playing again, and engineering-wise likes this new approach to floating the arm, hence the new look of the ball, or half ball now.  Not sure if the change is engineering only or if there is also sonic improvement.  So that's how all the new balls and arm tubes will be shipped.  For the mkii you'll get that, with all tables having only the ltd arm.   For we Originals, if you want to retrofit, we'll keep our suspension and arm rest pillars.  You'll get the new ball and arm tube, that's all.

As someone said, the holes are too big on the original. And don't start thinking of drilling a small hole.

So that's it, in a poorly worded nutshell.  :roll:

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2013, 08:01 pm »
The UK appears to be the last place to import new WT products and upgrades. My dealer hadn't heard of it when I told him of my knowledge of it. He phoned John Burns the importer who said the Symmetrex modified arm isn't in production yet. The Audio Circle forum is certainly the place to be for breaking WT news  :D

threadkiller

« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2013, 08:10 pm »
Apparently so... not here in the States yet either..

ADiG

« Reply #31 on: 19 Sep 2013, 11:11 am »
Friends,
you are all invited to put "like" on the page Well Tempered Lab on Facebook!
Thank you!
:D

https://www.facebook.com/#!/WellTemperedLab

watercourse

« Reply #32 on: 19 Sep 2013, 09:50 pm »
I can see how having less metal for the smaller cup, less silicone, and smaller diameter "ball" might mean better weight distribution. Meaning, less chance that the squash balls on the right will go flat before the ones on the left.

rob400

« Reply #33 on: 20 Sep 2013, 06:01 am »
I can see how having less metal for the smaller cup, less silicone, and smaller diameter "ball" might mean better weight distribution. Meaning, less chance that the squash balls on the right will go flat before the ones on the left.

IMO that's  not why it has been done and my experience is differant to yours regarding the feet. The vertical tracking angle is now improved across the whole record due to better filament geometry and on my Versalex the front left squash ball is under the most pressure due to the platter being offset to that position. Still the case. Symmetrex mod has made the deck more dynamic. Not that it wasn't that way before. Superb sound now.

watercourse

« Reply #34 on: 21 Sep 2013, 04:50 am »
Can you explain more about VTA being affected by the filament shape? What was the cross-section shape before, and what is it now?

SteevA

« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2013, 05:49 am »
Have the new arm and a borrowed Te Kaitora Rua and right now I am asking myself - can it really get better than this?

Steve

rob400

« Reply #36 on: 21 Sep 2013, 06:12 am »
Have the new arm and a borrowed Te Kaitora Rua and right now I am asking myself - can it really get better than this?

Steve

Probably not Steve. Not heard them as a combination but I like you am enjoying the Symmetrex  improvement and I heard the Te Kaitora in a pre arm upgraded Versalex last year and decided that would be a future purchase.  Over here in the UK the Linn'ees scoff at my view that our deck is an LP12 beater but I don't care. Spent a lot of money on black discs recently which have never sounded as good. Enjoy! P.S I'm interested to know if Charlie has heard the Amadeus 2 against his original vintage.

SteevA

« Reply #37 on: 21 Sep 2013, 06:41 am »
But why do I keep finding myseff wundering about the XV1s?

I have compared my deck (old arm and XX2) with a well sorted LP12 fitted with a Kleos. They were different and each beat the other in certain aspects. The LP12 owner & I couldn't pick a clear winner so we had a beer instead. He did say if he was starting again he might not choose an LP12.

Steve

rob400

« Reply #38 on: 21 Sep 2013, 10:06 am »
Well even if there were parity between the two decks surely for the the WT variants are a bargain at such a low cost! I still prefer my Versalex to even a belts and braces LP12 on Jazz, Blues and Classical music. The LP12 (with Naim amplification) might appeal to our hard rock instincts but not our delicate sensibilities like a Versalex or Amadeus. All just my opinion from experience.

threadkiller

« Reply #39 on: 21 Sep 2013, 02:10 pm »
Interesting...
A starter Lp12 these days is getting up there in price, which makes it not even an option compared to the WTL's, and even others like a Kuzma.  And the upgrades are not cheap either.

No, still haven't heard the new version, Rob, my distributor is lazy! Lol... I've been promised I'll get to hear it soon.  Will let you know...