Customized Arcus cabs for Josh

Audioclyde

Re: Customized Arcus cabs for Josh
« Reply #20 on: 18 Nov 2015, 01:35 am »
Wow, just wow!!!! I've never been a fan of light, 'natural' color speaker finishes, always preferring darker, reddish or my current ebonized walnut.  But those speakers look like pieces of art!!!  I think of all the outstanding pics of speaker finishes I've seen (primarily here on AC, where we have 3 of the best speaker manufacturers IMHO with respect to beautiful cabinets in Vapor, Daedalus & Salk), these are my favorite.

Congrats Josh and kudos to the Vapor team.

Randy

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:15 am »

BTW, we haven't yet measured a pair of the TPL-150H that showed any signs of issues with the rear chamber.  I think that issue is overblown, maybe has become an legend more than fact.  But I'd suggest measuring yours first before you decide if it's needed.  We also cross them over lower than anybody else has, and without any issue.

There is one issue that needs to be dealt with concerning the rear chamber that you forgot about.  You have to seal up the sides of the AMT where it meets the chamber.  It's not air tight around the magnets and will leak noticeably if not sealed.

We used asphalt speaker caulk to do the deed and it worked quite well.

JoshK

« Reply #22 on: 18 Nov 2015, 10:17 pm »
There is one issue that needs to be dealt with concerning the rear chamber that you forgot about.  You have to seal up the sides of the AMT where it meets the chamber.  It's not air tight around the magnets and will leak noticeably if not sealed.

Thanks I wasn't aware of that.   I think when it comes to the rear chamber, I might just replace the batting.  But I'll do some of my own measurements.  The resonances were pretty clear from some of the data I've seen others produce.   I am not sure how much of it can be rid mechanically.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #23 on: 18 Nov 2015, 11:21 pm »
Thanks I wasn't aware of that.   I think when it comes to the rear chamber, I might just replace the batting.  But I'll do some of my own measurements.  The resonances were pretty clear from some of the data I've seen others produce.   I am not sure how much of it can be rid mechanically.

Hey Josh,

It's not the surface where the back chamber meets the AMT structure, it's in the structure itself where the leakage occurs.

Have a look at the picture below. You can see two pieces of metal sandwiching a third.  It is those seams that need to be caulked up all the way around and up to the speaker leads.

Here's our measured impedance plot.  If there are any standing wave resonances caused by the chamber they certainly don't show up in the impedance.  But if you're planning on making a new chamber for the AMT that also isolates it from the woofer, then you won't need to caulk up the metal seams.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #24 on: 21 Nov 2015, 06:13 am »

That's true, there were leaks all the way around the bar magnets.  I don't think we ever measured them without sealing those leaks, it was so obvious right out of the box that they'd have to be taken care of.