Cartridge for Thorens TD-160 Mk I

PSP

Cartridge for Thorens TD-160 Mk I
« on: 21 Jul 2007, 06:54 pm »
The stylus for my Shure V-15 Type V bit the dust last night and (according to the Shure site and Needle Doctor) the replacement stylus (VN5MR) is no longer available.  So, I'm looking for a new cartridge.

The TD-160 is entirely stock and has the straight TP-16 Mk I arm (with the large removable cartridge shell).  Priorities are:
 - MM cartridge
 - tracking ability
 - accurate, with a balanced presentation.  More musical and warm is better than more analytical.
 - budget is $250, willing to stretch to $300 if that will make a big difference.

Music is mostly classical and jazz.  System is Aspen GK-1 tube preamp, Aspen LifeForce 55 (tweeter), Aspen AKSA 100N+ amps for mid and bass, Linkwitz Orion speakers.

Thanks for your help,
Peter

Wayner

Re: Cartridge for Thorens TD-160 Mk I
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2007, 07:43 pm »
I believe that Music Direct had the Shure V15VxMR in one of their last catalogs for $185. You might want to check that source out.

Wayner

PSP

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2007, 08:58 pm »
Wayner,
Thanks, but I have an old V-15 Type V, circa 1980.  For that cartridge, the replacement stylus I need is VN5MR.

I did a quick search on Music Direct and got "no results found".  Still lookin', I guess.

Peter

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2007, 09:51 pm »
Peter,

I have been accused of being an Audio Technica AT440MLa whore (pimp).  :lol: It's $100 and I think it will beat almost any cart under $500. It likes to track at 1.4 grams, so it's nice for wear and tear. It tracks like a bastard and doesn't care it the arm is one of those big lunkers or a willowy type. Very well balanced, slightly bright but can put some mean bass out when it is present. I have it on my Empire 598 and my VPI HW19jr with Audio Quest PT-6 arm. I think you may like it better than the Shure.

Wayner

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2007, 07:23 am »
The Audio Technica AT440MLa .....on You Tube...... :o

Airborn

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2007, 07:37 am »
Peter
I'm in a similar situation. I've got an old Dual 601 TT with a Shure V15-III cartridge which still sounds pretty good, but I just ordered the AT 440 MLa because of all the rave reviews here at AC. At less than $100 I don't think it can be beat, especially with low mass tonearms like my Dual tonearm. Ymmv, of course, but I think you have little to lose by getting an AT 440 MLa. I'll let you know my impressions in my system if your interested. 

eric the red

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2007, 07:46 am »
As Wayner the AT pimp says, the AT440 MLa is a really nice sounding cartridge and he's been into vinyl waaay longer than I have. I like it better than the Ortofon OM 30 I had on my MMF-5. However as many have said before (do a search) PAY NO ATTENTION to what the AT 440 sounds like in the first 20 or so hours of use even though you may feel like ripping it off the arm and throwing it against wall then stomping it to death. Buy the 440MLA new for about 80 bucks and if you don't like it, sell it to some sucker here for 50 and you're barely out any dough. GL.

jrtrent

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2007, 09:06 pm »
If you liked the sound of your type V, an obvious choice for very little money would be the M97xE, especially if you found a need to use the brush to improve tracking.  I'm using one with great satisfaction on a Linn Ittok arm (brush not needed), and find it much more stable than an AT440ML I had tried (probably just too compliant for the mass of my arm).

PSP

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2007, 05:02 pm »
Gentlemen,
I bought an Audio Technica AT440MLa and a new belt for the TD-160 yesterday (the Needle Doctor store is just a mile away) and with reasonable luck, I'll get it mounted tonight.

I'll give it a good 100 hours and let you know how it sounds.

Many thanks for your help.

Peter

mixsit

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2007, 04:47 am »
The Audio Technica AT440MLa .....on You Tube...... :o
Well, I came around looking for >$100 cartridge advice also.  :)
Could someone please explain what these tonearm/ctg. tests are showing? It's interesting how a bit of side to side movement is affecting the volume, and there are varying beat-frequencies..?
Thanks
Wayne Smith