Groove Tracer upgrades for Rega P-5?

KCI-JohnP

Groove Tracer upgrades for Rega P-5?
« on: 17 Jul 2007, 02:39 pm »
I did a search and can't find much on them. Have any of you tried either or both of the upgrades(acrylic platter and subplatter) and if so what did you think of them? Thanks for the help/advice.

John

TONEPUB

Re: Groove Tracer upgrades for Rega P-5?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2007, 03:08 pm »
We did a review in issue 3....

http://www.tonepublications.com/TA-index.htm

I am very fond of Franks upgrades.  We used a P25 as our test table, but the results
would be similar with the P5.  Some will argue that the acrylic platter will take some
of the "Reganess" out of the P5, so that part is a matter of taste.

However his counterweight and subplatter will make a pretty major difference in
the P5's resolution.

I even use his counterweight on my P9 and really like it.

Frank is a great guy and his products are exquisitely made to boot.

Good luck.  Hope you enjoy them.  Tell Frank we sent you!

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2007, 03:41 pm »
Hi Tone,
Yeah I've read ya'lls review, it's good. Was just curious what some AC members thought as well. So what is this "Reganess" you speak of? I don't want to loss something good here but I'm a vinyl dumb dumb, can you explain? Thanks!

John

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2007, 11:55 am »
Anyone?

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2007, 08:41 pm »
Anyone?

John, I think the best place to start in your case would be to upgrade the subplatter. The P5 is an excellent table and the only area where the initial design is compromised is the subplatter. I'm sure some will make a case that if Rega designed it that way, it should be left as is, otherwise it won't be a Rega. If that is so, why does Rega offer an Aluminum alloy subplatter in the P7 and P9?
The simple truth of the matter is that the stock phenolic subplatter is not perfectly round. You will never hear perfect pitch because of that. This may or may not matter to you. There are areas on the circumference of the subplatter where the support structure of the phenolic resin causes flat spots that can only be measured by use of a dial indicator. I doubt you can tell by eye.
Anyway I can tell you that the Groovetracer subplatter is perfectly round and guaranteed to be concentric within 0.001"(0.025mm). In contrast, the stock Rega subplatters I have measured deviate in the neighbourhood of 0.007"(0.2mm). Due to Rega's assembly process this deviation will obviously vary, some better, some worse. I hope this helps.  -Frank-

eric the red

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2007, 08:48 pm »
I just (about two hours ago) replaced the stock sub platter on my P3 with a Deep Groove sub platter with the ruby bearing and the improvement to my ears is very noticeable. The speed of the platter is better with a less wobbly sound and everything sounds more solid. I also have a PSU-1 for my Slee Amp2 SE arriving today. :banana piano:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2007, 08:54 pm »
Ok cool, thank you for the help Frank and Eric. I guess I'll start with the subplatter but I will also go for the sapphire bearing upgrade, might as well for only $35. I appreciate the advice, thank you.

Regards,
John

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2007, 09:13 pm »
Ok cool, thank you for the help Frank and Eric. I guess I'll start with the subplatter but I will also go for the sapphire bearing upgrade, might as well for only $35. I appreciate the advice, thank you.

Regards,
John

You're welcome John. I assume you mean the sapphire thrust plate upgrade which costs $35. This feature is truly worth it and only offered by Groovetracer, just so there is no confusion with the Deepgroove brand.  :)

eric the red

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2007, 09:16 pm »
Sorry Frank as I did not know that you were affiliated with Groove Tracer  :D. I picked up my DG used off the 'gon and was just passing along my experience. Aftere hearing what I'm hearing here, I can't believe I waited 20+ years to get back into vinyl again  :duh:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:53 pm »
Hi Frank,
I didn't realize you were affiliated with Groove Tracer either, cool. Yeah that is what I meant about the sapphire upgrade. I really would like to just get the whole package at one time(isn't there a discount then?) but $ could dictate otherwise. Thanks again for your help, looking forward to installing your products, they look very nice. :thumb:

Regards,
John