VMPS wish lists?

meilankev

VMPS wish lists?
« Reply #40 on: 14 May 2004, 12:48 pm »
Well, anyone who has wasted their time following my experiences with VMPS probably already knows my viewpoint.  But I will state them again (without sugar-coating).

The sound quality of my speakers (RM40 w/TRT) is outstanding.
The workmanship of the cabinets (Cherry Flambe') is equally impressive.
The fit and finish is flawless.
The reliability has been without incident.  I turn on my system, and everything works - without exception.

Based on product/performance/value of my RM40s (and how they fit in my system), I am 100% satisfied.  I doubt any VMPS owner spends more time having people over for a listen (in fact, MitchellF from south Florida is coming up next weekend).

But how about my dealings with Brian?  Well keep in mind, I have had no "issues" for him to deal with.  Nevertheless, I spoke to him ~25 times directly on the phone - both pre-sale and after.  And I can't say enough for how comfortable he made me feel each and every time.

When I first contacted him (Jan 2002), I expressed interest in his 2 most-expensive speakers.  After all, my budget for speakers was around $15,000, and I had spent almost a year auditioning many contenders (Avantgarde, B & W, Gershman Acoustics, Martin-Logan, Magnepan, Sonus Faber, Thiel, and Vandersteen, et al).  Pretty soon in our conversation, I'm certain Brian became aware I was not a "tire-kicker".

Despite this, after listening to my "system goals", he proceeded to spend the next 30 minutes talking me out of buying either of the two speakers I had inquired about!  Instead, he explained (in detail) why he felt his new RM40s would suit me better.

That's right - he turned his back on a $15,000 sale (on speakers that don't exactly fly off the shelf) in favor of a $4,600 sale (for new speakers that were already beginning to sell like hot cakes.  I have never been more impressed by someone's integrity.  I was stunned.

Over the next months, we spoke pretty regularly - with me asking many question (particularly on compatibility with the tube amps I had decided to buy).  Not once did he give me the feeling he was in a rush to get off the phone, nor did he lose patience with any of my questions.

However, during the ordering phase, I ran into a very unpleasant experience with one of Brian's dealers.  I was so angry, I called Brian and vented for 15 minutes - more or less telling him an uncomfortable place (on his backside) he can deliver my pair.  Rather than tell me to go fly a kite and how he didn't need my business, instead he made things right (it's too long of a story to go into).  And of course, after I received my speakers, more questions ensued.  Again, he was always pleasant and helpful.

Since I have no personal knowledge of others' experiences, I am in no position to challenge their hardships.  I beleive in giving people the benefit of the doubt.  But if people are going to use this thread to state their negative opinions (which they have every right to do), I wanted to state (yet again) my opinions.

Kevin

P.S. - Keep in mind, I have no hidden agenda here (such as trying to get on Brian's good side).  I seldom post here anymore; I don't plan on buying speakers again for 12 - 15 years; I have no interest in switching out new drivers; I've don't want Brian to make a house call to fine-tune my system.  I'm simply one of the silent majority who have no regrets.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
VMPS wish lists?
« Reply #41 on: 14 May 2004, 02:36 pm »
Kevin,

No regrets on my end...just some bumps in the road from my point of view.

Believe me, I would have preferred your path.   8)

I am not trying to crucify Brian/VMPS.  I simply pointed out my "bumps".  If I was that unhappy, I wouldn't still own the RM 40's and I wouldn't have gone out and purchased two Larger subs.

George

John B

VMPS wish lists?
« Reply #42 on: 14 May 2004, 02:37 pm »
Just curious what $30,000 car has had 3 recalls in the last 4 months? I want to make sure to avoid it!  

George,

It's a fully loaded 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5SE.  Never had a lick of trouble with it, but this year they're finding all sorts of things that need fixing, from side air bags that won't go off in certain types of collisions, to the gas tank where air bubbles can form that can block the fuel flow, this in states that have very cold temperatures.

meilankev

VMPS wish lists?
« Reply #43 on: 14 May 2004, 03:11 pm »
George,

I wasn't trying to pick on you in any way.  You are one of the few folks here I have actually spoken with on the phone, and I enjoyed each of our conversations.  And of course, your "negative posts" on this thread did not read as angry as did Dave's (Flintstone) and Horsehead's.  

In fact, I wasn't responding to anyone specifically.  I was just a little surprised that this "VMPS Wish List" thread mutated into a "I Wish I wasn't so Dissatisfied" thread.  I was just looking to balance the mood a little.

And lastly, it's common for forum posters/lurkers to lose sight that dissatisfied folks are more likely to speak their mind than anyone else.  After all, the satisfied folks are busy listening to music - which is much preferable to just talking about audio to a group of faceless strangers (for the most part).  

Oh, I understand the concept of "virtual community" and all that it offers.  I take advantage of this every day.  But for me, the 90% of the reason I come to these types of sites is to eventually meet up (and develop a friendship) with like-minded music-lovers.  That is my #1 interest.  And I have been very fortunate in this (particularly from my other stomping grounds: Home Theater Talk, which has a lot of Tampa folk).

Kevin

Horsehead

VMPS wish lists?
« Reply #44 on: 14 May 2004, 03:49 pm »
Gee, didn't know I was "angry".  I have to take my meds again.   Seriously, I was relating a personal experience I had and mentioned the thread to to support it.  As a VMPS customer who spent close to $10K, I think I've earned the right to express an opinion good or bad- and hell knows I've expressed a lot of good ones about Brian and VMPS. I've kept all my build quality issues and reliability problems to myself because I don't feel the need to express them in a public forum.  I've never once started a "negative" thread regarding VMPS or Brian.  

If my tone was "angry" or insulting to Brian I apologize.

John B

VMPS wish lists?
« Reply #45 on: 14 May 2004, 04:55 pm »
Gee, didn't know I was "angry".

Well, here's one thing that ticked me off.

8)

I bet Brian was pretty ticked off too, suppliers not following through with their committments is pretty bad business.

Horsehead

VMPS wish lists?
« Reply #46 on: 14 May 2004, 05:51 pm »
Unfortunately Brian didn't go buy a soldering gun, solder, jigsaw and have $400 sitting around in a box for four months collecting dust. It's not my job to worry about Brian's suppliers- that's his problem.

Since I know myself better than you do, there is a BIG difference when I'm ticked off and angry.  No, I'm not angry.  There's more important things in life to get angry about.

ctviggen

VMPS wish lists?
« Reply #47 on: 14 May 2004, 07:25 pm »
What is the difference between ticked off and angry?  I'm always angry when I'm ticked off, but you might be different.

John B

VMPS wish lists?
« Reply #48 on: 14 May 2004, 07:27 pm »
There's more important things in life to get angry about.

That's for sure, like the price of gas in California!   :mrgreen:

covermye

VMPS wish lists?
« Reply #49 on: 16 May 2004, 01:58 pm »
Back to the "wish list":  How about Piano White as a finish option?  

I bought a set of small bookshelf speakers from Home Theater Direct a while back (the mini's) for my daughter's cartoon-playing surround sound setup in the basement, and the finish on them was kind of cool.  Piano white, and almost pearl-like in appearance.  Very chik.