Poll

POLL: Who thinks www.vmpsaudio.com has GOT to be updated

Hallelujah! Amen Brother!
70 (86.4%)
It could improve but I'm fine with it...
7 (8.6%)
You're out of line Mister! Report to the Boss immediately!
1 (1.2%)
VMPS? Who 'dat?
3 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: 31 Mar 2004, 10:30 pm

POLL: Who wants an updated VMPS website????

Andrikos

« on: 31 Mar 2004, 10:30 pm »
Alright,
at the risk of being banned from this forum ( :) )
I submit this question:
Don't you think that the website of a STUD Speaker manufacturer should join the 21st century already?
Come on! At least the late 20th century...

Come on everybody, open your purses and donate some money to pay a web designer to "spiffy" up this old clunker! :)
Nathanm anybody? :D

nathanm

« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2004, 11:33 pm »
There already is:

http://www.vmpseurope.com

Andrikos

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2004, 11:41 pm »
What good does that do to me? :)
I'm in the good-old U-S-of-A sir!
Is it too much to ask for a US based website where actual new products are shown, regular updates are, ahem, updated etc.?
I mean look at av123.com; LIGHTyears ahead.
Would it hurt to have a pretty website?
If anything, it makes your products that much more appealing...

Andrikos

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2004, 11:42 pm »
Oh yeah, vmspeurope.com is ONLY one year behind compared to vmpsaudio.com that is, what, TWO years behind...  :roll:

Woodsea

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2004, 02:25 am »
Duh, it is silly how archaic VMPS is on their website, but claim they are cutting edge with their speaker technology

By the way, their speakers are cutting edge.  I am an owner.  But for God's sake, come on...keep up with your website...it is embarrassing.  Should I vote now?!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2004, 03:47 am »
Quote from: Woodsea
Duh, it is silly how archaic VMPS is on their website, but claim they are cutting edge with their speaker technology

By the way, their speakers are cutting edge.  I am an owner.  But for God's sake, come on...keep up with your website...it is embarrassing.  Should I vote now?!

Bose has a great website..............it's their speakers that are embarrassing.  

I'm not saying that Brian and co shouldn't update the website (and I voted); I'm just saying that I'll take product over marketing anytime.

My RM/X's are being delivered at noon tomorrow!!!!   My back hurts already....but i am PSYCHED!! :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2004, 03:50 am »
It would be cool if all the products were on the website... Brian, you gotta get the RM30s on there somehow!

Andrikos

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2004, 01:53 pm »
It's (almost) unanimous Sirs!
87% of the People say: "Update it already! We want to see all VMPS offerings in their complete beauty online! Would it hurt to SEE what I'm getting delivered?"

One would have to agree that if you don't participate in AC (or the rapidly disappearing HD) you'd think the website is obsolete.

If only HALF the info we see here on AC was on the website, we'd be there...

JDoyle

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2004, 05:18 pm »
Brian,  I apologize about this pitch, but If you're interested, my nephew Todd Doyle has his own web site design service.  He's very good and vert affordable.  You can check out some of his work at;

www.expandtheroom.com

Just mention my name.  (If you want me to have him contact you, send me a PM).

PS, I'm going to Flint in a few weeks to listen to the RM-30's (I can't wait!)    :D

John

nathanm

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2004, 05:40 pm »
I'm just pointing out that the photos and layout on VMPS Europe are an order of magnitude greater than the US site.  The RM2s on the US site are purple fer cripes sakes.  If you're going to sell speakers direct the least you can do is have professional looking shots, and BIG ones too.  This is a failing of many vendors though, hardly just VMPS.  Visit Manley, Norh and Tannoy for examples of good ways to visually present speakers on the web.  It shouldn't matter, but it really does.

P.S. JUST SAY NO TO FLASH!!!  FLASH=BAD! :evil:  There's nothing wrong with the text-heavy existing site- I'll take that anyday over a site built with Flash.  Flash is an animation tool, not a web interface building tool.  Period.

F-100

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2004, 06:46 pm »
:lol:  :lol:  First, you guys complained about the cabinets and now the website... What's next? Brian's hairstyle???  :lol:  :lol:

nathanm

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2004, 07:28 pm »
Constructive criticism is the operative word here, not complaining!  

Mainly the site's existing content just needs to be reorganized and cleaned up a bit to make it easier to follow, that's all.  I've read it many times myself and I still get confused about which speaker is what and what the prices are.  It should be more obvious, ie picture of speaker, list of features, list of options, prices and ability to enlarge the photo + different views all on one page.  Lenghty text bits about speaker design is fine, but it should be separate from the product description.

dubravko

« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2004, 07:55 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
Mainly the site's existing content just needs to be reorganized and cleaned up a bit to make it easier to follow.

This is also the main reason why vmpseurope site is having an ongoing reorganization. There is really a lot of stuff worth reading in almost a hundred topics. It is from one point of view though, but still very interesting and may also be useful for readers who don't own VMPS. However it needs some updating, tidying up, filtering etc. to be more readable. I hope it will be ready soon.

I agree about Flash...

DFaulds

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2004, 08:31 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
Mainly the site's existing content just needs to be reorganized and cleaned up a bit to make it easier to follow, that's all.

I think it needs quite a bit more than cleaned up and reorganized.  I'm saving my pennies to buy a pair of RM30's, but I can't even find any mention of an RM30 on the site, let alone pricing, options, features, etc.  A site for an e vendor should make it very easy to find and browse the available product offerings, features, pricing and options.  Even some of the small internet based speaker companies like GR and Selah are way ahead of the VMPS site, and I'm sure Brian far exceeds their sales volume.   And I'm sure his sales would be much greater with a decent web site.

Carlman

« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2004, 09:54 pm »
Wow... I voted that it 'could improve' but sheesh.. 44 want a complete revamp... I left a message asking Brian to call me.  I do that sort of thing for a reasonable fee/gear exchange.

I don't think it's a bad site; just hard to navigate with some bad photos and a little out of date.  My guess is there isn't a good maintenance routine.  That's a part of web design often left forgotten.

Hopefully I'll hear from him!

-Carl

nathanm

« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2004, 11:07 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
Wow... I voted that it 'could improve' but sheesh.. 44 want a complete revamp...

Well, the poll says "update" not "complete revamp" which sounds more like a good maintainence routine to me rather than an overhaul\redesign.  Kind of like how thehornshoppe.com really cleaned up their act. :)  Same information, just not with 72pt text like before. :P  I get the idea that unless a person read a message board like this they would not have the most current information about what VMPS is offering based on their site alone.

John Casler

« Reply #16 on: 1 Apr 2004, 11:16 pm »
Hi All,

Thanks for your constructive critique of the VMPS site.  

While Mr BC can certainly speak for himself, I thought I would throw out a few comments.

We are very aware of the need for an update to the site.  The problem has been that we are in a "transitional" period (which has lasted much longer than expected) which has delayed many of the things we have intended to do.

Most of you already know that we have new cabinets coming from MLS.  There are also seveal other adjustments and changes that "might happen" that would affect the direction the new website would go.

At this point we couldn't even put up accurate photos of the new speakers (maybe the RM30) since they haven't arrived yet.

Brian may or may not comment, but it has been something we began planning well over a year ago, but cannot be done 1/2 way, if it is to be done well.

A quality site as VMPS deserves, takes planning and "GOOD" pictures of the new product.

If all goes as I would like to see it, we will probably have other convenience features too....such as updated set up and system info, dealer info and more, maybe even online ordering.

But it still won't be available until we have the blocks in place to assemble it.

Carlman, do you have any sites that you could point us to that display your talents???

Andrikos

« Reply #17 on: 1 Apr 2004, 11:18 pm »
Well, maybe I misstated the poll choices then.
The site could DEFINITELY use some complete overhaul...
I mean, half the products on it are extinct and the flurry of brand new products that kick maximum a$$ are completely missing...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2004, 04:21 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Carlman, do you have any sites that you could point us to that display your talents???  
I know one that Carl has worked on , Rutledge Audio Designs. He made it a lot better than what was there before. :)

Andrikos

« Reply #19 on: 2 Apr 2004, 04:06 pm »
Yep, it's still holding up at 87%.
Almost like Iraqi elections unanimously electing their stud president sodom (I mean saddam) hussein! :)