626R or RM30C...

bigbang

626R or RM30C...
« on: 10 Nov 2010, 05:12 pm »
Would be using a sub either way.

How will they differ in a smaller (I'm estimating 17x20) room?

I've been using an LRC for some time now so I think I've got an idea as to what the 626 will be like, how much will the RM30 vary from that?

Anything from blues to modern rock and movies all at moderate/average listening levels.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Re: 626R or RM30C...
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:42 pm »
RM30C is a considerable step up from the 626R in bass extension, soundstage, and image size, with considerably lower distortion.  If you have the budget got with the 30's.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2010, 07:37 pm »
Of course all things are "relative".

The 626 has a single neopanel and the RM30 has three.

The 626 has a single woofer, and the RM30c has 2 "plus" a pair of Passive radiators.

At very low volumes, they will sound the most alike as they share the same drivers, but as the SPLs increase (as Brian offered) the single panel will obviously have less potential.  This is simple physics.  3X the midrange drivers will have higher powerhandling and the stresses of higher SPL's will be distributed over more drivers.

Now that doesn't mean the 626 cannot play loudly as it really is a pretty ferocious performer, but when you have 3X the midpanels you can pretty much blow the walls down with "clean" output.

I remember many years ago at CES when Brian was first showing the RM30's with some AMPZILLA 2000 monoblocs.

A couple young dudes cam in with some Heavy Metal and ask Brian if he would put it on and "TURN IT UP" as they took their seats.

Well B, pretty much lit up the place with SPLs so high that I, and most all the other parties (except Brian and the two Dudes) Had to leave the room.

And I remember standing outside the room and thinking how incredibly CLEAR and CLEAN the sound was at that SPL, when most any other speaker would be absolutley distorting all over the place.  It was actually quite a display.

And not that SPLs are the only reason to think RM30, you will also find that the larger the speaker model the larger the soundstage.

And don't let this give you the idea that the 626 will somehow be WIMPS.

In most any normal sized room the combination of the LRC, and a pair of 626 with a sub and X-Over that will slightly reduce the low bass to those speakers you can do some pretty high SPL's with exceptional clarity.

This then goes back to my original statement, that it is ALL relative.

BIGGER can be better, but smaller can certainly DO.

As a side note I use a pair of RM30s as "side surrounds" and they are spooky good. (and likely OVER-KILL)  Concert DVD's and Movies are incredible.

I might also remind you that the RM2 is also a step up (and in between) the 626 and the RM30.

bigbang

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2010, 12:30 am »
Ahh yes, lower distortion, more headroom, both good. May be worth the wait to save for the 30's.

Nice deal on A-gon on some 626's though. Maybe snag those and turn into surrounds after some 30's make it in the budget!

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:27 pm »
I have a similar question about the 626's. My room is 13 x 20 x 8. About 95% of the time I listen to jazz vocals at very moderate levels. I currently have a pair of VMPS Tower IISE's, but I'm considering trading them out for a pair of 626's because I want to hear the sound of those ribbon midranges. Plus, I need time to save up for the RM40's. :) What differences in sound can I expect between the TII's and the 626's along with a subwoofer?

Thanks.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:39 pm »
A pair of 626's and a 215 sub should provide the same bass as the T2 and, of course, that ribbon midrange and treble sound you want.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:46 am »
Ahh yes, lower distortion, more headroom, both good. May be worth the wait to save for the 30's.

Nice deal on A-gon on some 626's though. Maybe snag those and turn into surrounds after some 30's make it in the budget!

I have a customer in TX who has done just that.

He now has the RM40s for Mains (with the incredibly rigid Dibble cabinets) an LRC Center, A pair of LARGER Subs each with 1000w amp, and a Pair of SUPER T's for Surrounds.

This is with a 120" screen in a nice sized room.

Talk about filling a room with AV, this is a spectacular HT and 2 channel system.