VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?

bobbyv

VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?
« on: 30 Nov 2003, 03:35 am »
Hey guys!  The VMPS Larger sub looks to be getting a raw deal on hometheater forum, because I know many of you have compared VMPS and SVS, and all of you say that VMPS sounds better.  Follow the link below.  Is there anyone who can respond to these strange allegations by Joe Wilmore and Tom Vodhanel about the VMPS Larger sub?  What I do not get is how Joe could be so 180degrees within two months.   :?:  Is something strange going on here?

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=170656

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2003, 03:50 am »
It's not worth the time arguing with Tom V.  Home Theater Forum is basically an extension of the SVS website, so don't look for anything but a lovefest there.  And don't imply that there's a better sub than SVS unless you wanna get tossed out on your ass.

I'm sure the SVS subs are great (I think Marbles uses a pair of Ultra's & is very pleased), but stay off their Kool-Aid. :wink:

Woodsea

VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2003, 03:52 am »
Bv-
This is so old.  I have not heard the SVS.  But I know from doing exhausting research that TomV is very biased toward his own and Brian is anything but.  All the 'vs' would inevitably come out with VMPS out on top for musicality.  The sound is not bloated or sluggish.  SVS put out 'from what I have read' a very fine product.  I personally got turned off by the huge bias of home theater forum and all the advertisements for SVS.  Take what you get their with a grain of salt.  
Nice to have you here!

Marbles

VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2003, 04:05 am »
I have a pair of SVS Ultra's on a Crown K2, corner loaded.
For HT and concert DVD's I'm very impressed, and so has everyone who's heard them.

I have not heard the VMPS larger in an HT, but did hear one in the Bolder Cable/TERES Audio/Eigth Nerve room at last years MAF paired with the VMPS 626R's w/FST.  That room probably had the best bass for music I have heard.

I do currently own VMPS RM40's run without a sub for music.

As others mentioned, there are bias's everywhere, take what you read (anywhere) with a grain of salt.

Wish I could compare the two for you and others better, but that's about the best I can do under the circumstances.

Brad

VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2003, 04:09 am »
Leave the HTF problems on HTF.
We got enough to argue about already here :wink:

bobbyv

VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2003, 04:26 am »
I am sorry about that, very sorry!  I did not know what was the best and quickest way to contact Big B Cheney and his VMPS larger customers for more clarification.  Very thankful for the response so far.  This place is always good for a dose of reality.  Hometheaterforum.com is becoming the opposite with all their single-focused SVS advertising.

jackman

VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?
« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2003, 04:46 am »
Hey guys! The VMPS Larger sub looks to be getting a raw deal on hometheater forum, because I know many of you have compared VMPS and SVS, and all of you say that VMPS sounds better. Follow the link below. Is there anyone who can respond to these strange allegations by Joe Wilmore and Tom Vodhanel about the VMPS Larger sub? What I do not get is how Joe could be so 180degrees within two months.  Is something strange going on here?

Maybe I'm off base, but how is the VMPS sub getting a raw deal on the thread you provided?  A guy who owned one and raved about it for months (according to the clips the other guy gave) suddenly found a sub he liked better and is raving about that.  Six months from now he will probably get another VMPS sub and rave about how much better it is versus the last one he just had...

Honestly, I have listened to VMPS subs and found them to be very good.  I have also listened to other subs and found them to be very good.  Besides, although I haven't tried it yet, that sub from DIYCABLE.com looks mighty tempting.  I love the Tumult on paper and several guys on the Mad board have reported some excellent results in DIY applications.  I particularly like the small cabinet which is something I don't see from VMPS or SVS.  Hmmmm, does this count as giving a raw deal?

bobbyv

VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2003, 05:02 am »
The implication that the VMPS sounds better because it plays material under 40-45Hz rolled off and not accurately sounds like a raw deal.  When a supposed VMPS owner states for the last 8 months that his larger is superior to the SVS (which is the same as everyone else around here has said), and now states that they are the same while touting another model, that sounds like a raw deal.  Maybe we just interpret things differently.

rosconey

VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2003, 11:56 am »
some people like to be -well in the spot light, and he is one.
go vmps

besides what would you rather say to your friends

i have a large one (vmps lol)

or i have svs (sounds like a vinerial disease) :mrgreen:

Juan R

VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?
« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2003, 03:49 pm »
I have to different rooms for music and HT, I own a pair of SVS ultra. To be honest , they go really low and loud, but are for HT only. One day I moved one to the music room and  my RM-40 sound better with less bass than with the SVS. I don`t know is just the kind of sound from SVS who do not coordinate with mid and high instruments.

John Casler

VMPS Larger - Raw Deal?
« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2003, 04:27 pm »
Strangely enough, I think this type of "My CURRENT Sub is BEST" thinking is quite common and why shouldn't it be.  We generally only change subs if we think were moving up.

I have heard most of the "big boys" in subs.  The VMPS (of course) the SVS, the REL, the Bag End, the Velodyne, the Earthquake, the M&K, the Paradigm, the Krell, the and many others.

Most are very good and most can certainly play with depth and authority.

That said, the argument then goes to "stunning impact" to "musicality".

While Impact is nice, musicality is generally "my" prefered quality.

Can both be had in the same sub?  I think so.

There are many "very" expensive subs out there.  I think even the SVS flag ship, the B-4 lists for $2550 (with grill) plus shipping in a "passive" version!

Compare this to the fully loaded LARGER:

LARGER $699
MegaWoofs- $140
Souncoat - $75
==========
$914

SVS website states:

There really are no subs that compete.  Not 15" subs, not 18" subs, not anything designed for the home market.  In fact, we know $25,000 subwoofers that should be afraid right now.

I have no doubt that this is a very impressive sub, as well as a well built one.

But for $2550 (includes $50 grill) plus shipping (say $100) you are sitting on $2650 shipped.

If you go through a VMPS dealer you can get "THREE" LARGERS Subs for that price and have a few hundred left over.

Would three loaded LARGERS equal the performance of a single SVS B-4?  Who knows?  I have a feeling that both would make even the most extreme "Bass Head" extremely happy.

I do know that I would have a lot of fun using three subs with two being set up like Doug S.'s  system in "stereo" and the other run off the LFE or Mono signal for the deepest bass.

As it stands, I have a single LARGER in a 20' x 30' room and it gives me all the "excitment" I need, while being very good musically, at the same time.

Brian has always been known for his "low end"  :lol:  I mean Bass Performance.  

His speakers have also always scored high for musical bass accuracy and impact (just read Anthony Cordesman's reviews)

So it doesn't mean that other subs or designs won't do the same, but I have found that VMPS subs do have those qualities, and that "fills my bill".