VMPS V60's vs McIntosh XRT2K's

Biggalo

VMPS V60's vs McIntosh XRT2K's
« on: 28 Jan 2007, 06:13 am »
Has anyone been fortunate enough to A/B The New Mc Flagship XRT2K Speakers and the New VMPS V60's? Money aside, it would be interesting reading if you have an objective view on these. I mean seriously, can anything come close to the sound of the new Mc's Spkrs today? If there is....I really want to know.  :scratch:

gongos

Re: VMPS V60's vs McIntosh XRT2K's
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2007, 06:26 am »
I don't even think anyone owns a pair of V60's, let alone compare them to something else. I'd like to meet the person that has these 2 speakers side by side in their house. :o

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2007, 08:50 am »
I don't even think anyone owns a pair of V60's, let alone compare them to something else. I'd like to meet the person that has these 2 speakers side by side in their house. :o

That is true, only one pair exist until late next month.

Only possible way would have been at CES which would have been A/A since Mac was not close to the St. Tropez.

However, I think you could get almost 10 pair of RM v60 for the price of pair of XRT2K. ($80k pr) :o :o

I can promise for that kind of $$,  aa Brian will build a custom pair of speakers, built to your room and system.

If you have a large room, we could also do 3 "stacked pair" of "Wings", (10-11 ft high) through a TriNaural Processor with 4 VLA subs in a Quadratic Push/Pull.   :drool:

Retail = $33K  :green:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2007, 02:31 pm »

Only possible way would have been at CES which would have been A/A since Mac was not close to the St. Tropez.

However, I think you could get almost 10 pair of RM v60 for the price of pair of XRT2K. ($80k pr) :o :o

I can promise for that kind of $$,  aa Brian will build a custom pair of speakers, built to your room and system.

If you have a large room, we could also do 3 "stacked pair" of "Wings", (10-11 ft high) through a TriNaural Processor with 4 VLA subs in a Quadratic Push/Pull.   :drool:

More doesn't equal better.

George

fredgarvin

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2007, 05:09 pm »

More doesn't equal better.

George
That goes for posts, as well.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2007, 11:52 pm »

What's with the personal attack?

Ryan45872

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2007, 12:03 am »

What's with the personal attack?

HERE WE GO :roll:

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2007, 12:42 am »
LOL  :duel:

Hantra

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2007, 12:55 am »
Has anyone been fortunate enough to A/B The New Mc Flagship XRT2K Speakers and the New VMPS V60's?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2007, 01:41 am »
I heard the then top of the line Mac speakers at RMAF 3 years ago and with their gear and program material, the speakers were very impressive.  The demo was not set up to play customer's own material, however.

Biggalo

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2007, 02:53 am »

The thing is........I have heard The McIntosh Speakers, but I am just wondering if any other speaker out there could equal that sound. McIntosh uses conventional drivers, VMPS uses a combination of Ribbons and conventionals.Yes, it is true McIntosh Speakers come with a high premium...(too high for most) but the dynamic range of those speakers bested even the Apogee Divas of the 80's, and that is saying a lot!!!

meilankev

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2007, 05:13 pm »
Biggalo,

I was fortunate enough to audition the flagship McIntosh towers a while back, and I thought they sounded very nice.  But if you really like the way they made music, you wouldn't believe how sweet the old Infinity IRS-V system sounded.  I've sat in front of some impressive audio gear in my time, but nothing approaches the experience of those Infinitys.

Kevin

Biggalo

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2007, 10:25 pm »
Brian will build a custom pair of speakers, built to your room and system.

John....when I asked whether someone had A/B'd the two Speaker Systems I didn't have in mind someone owning the two systems. It could have been at the C.E.S, Foreign display ,etc, etc. Now, what you said about Brian's  custom building a System for one who might want to go that route is interesting.  I always thought your Super Tower IIIa (I think) should have been changed to (2) Towers @ side...both Towers being of equal height, and consisting of equal numbers of Mid and tweeter drivers. If this could be accomplished with similar dynamic range, quietness, and quickness of say the New Mc's, the stampede might take another direction. A lot of folks will be watching to see if there is a mystery that will unfold.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2007, 04:50 am »
One of the best things about the forum is reading about & meeting people telling us about great stuff.  The mac's are on my must hear list.

The mac mc275 tube amp is one of my favorites.   

The big pipe dreams sure are extremely dynamic, though I'm not sure about the image presentation in the smaller rooms at shows.

The YG Acoustics at about $100k were the best ultra-expensive speaker I've heard lately.  It certainly helped he had them placed right in a super large ball room at CES '07 w/ a 12' ceiling or more.  Hard to believe the hype wasn't so far off.  He played an absolutely huge piece by the Irish tap-dance troupe that was, well, simply breathtaking in it's dynamic & image sweep. 

ekovalsky

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2007, 07:19 am »
I've heard the XRT2K / MC2KW system on several occasions and was awestruck each time.  If I had a big room and no budgetary constraints, that is what I would own.

Biggalo

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2007, 04:04 am »
I heard the then top of the line Mac speakers at RMAF 3 years ago and with their gear and program material, the speakers were very impressive.  The demo was not set up to play customer's own material, however.

BRIAN.....in a custom order, can the height of the VLA Tower Sub be increased a few inches so that the over-all dimension would be 75-1/4" H?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2007, 04:44 am »
We could do that.