LRC as Center Channel

Q

LRC as Center Channel
« Reply #20 on: 23 Nov 2005, 07:16 pm »
"What you don't want to happen long term, is that you have say a motor cycle pan from left to right and have the sound go from a Harley, to a motor scooter, back to a Harley (or visa versa).  "

What if it went from John Deere to Harley to John Deere.....OH wait!  They are BOTH tractors and sound the same!  It's really a shame that the best motorcycles made in the USA are made by HONDA!

Adz523

LRC as Center Channel
« Reply #21 on: 24 Nov 2005, 03:43 pm »
I just got the LRC, with FST tweeter, auricaps, megawoofers, soundcoat, piano black.  First off, in terms of balancing sheer size and elegance, it is the most impressive center channel I have ever seen in person - it is truly a thing of beauty for sure.  I knew it would be having seen CTViggen's and jimmyP's monsterous RM40s in person which are startlin in piano black.  The LRC has replaced my Def Tech CLR3000 (a beast in its own right at 50 lbs with a built in sub watt 10" sub), and I still have Def Tech's top of the line 7000SC towers for now.   Here are some quick thoughts:

1. It came very slightly damaged on one corner end, which Brian stated he would replace immediately, but i may just live with it.

2. I had to turn up my processor's trim level output for the center channel to +8 just to get it matched at 79 dBs with my other speakers (which are set at 0dBs - +1dBs, so it is very much harder to drive than my 8 ohm very efficient Def Techs.  Of course, I could turn down the trim level on the other speakers to match the LRC, but Bryston recommends against that.

3. Very early on initial impressions and comparisons are simple since I was able to a/b both for a few days.  The Def Tech CLR3000 comes off as "sounding" louder at the same dB level, higher highs, somewhat grating if you will and very good for loud movies in keeping up with the mains.  On the other hand, the LRC is smoother, very delicate and complicated and I can hear detail I have never heard before even though its a softer sound if that makes any sense.  Both have similar amount of low bass even with Def Tech's built-in powered 10" sub which is saying a lot for those LRC megawoofers, I guess.    I'm not a huge believer of break-in, but maybe the LRC will get even better??

4. So far, they seem to blend fine with my towers.  These are obviously very different speaker approaches, but the timbre mismatch is just not very noticeable, at least by me.  Dialogue blends well with the ambiance coming off from the towers.   This is true even though the tweeters in the towers are the same as in the CLR3000 which I just stated could be a bit harsh in direct comparisons.  I will continue to test this.

That's it for now, Gotta run and drink beer and watch football.

warnerwh

LRC as Center Channel
« Reply #22 on: 24 Nov 2005, 04:27 pm »
You will find a significant improvement once the LRC is broken in.  It actually takes a while, months, for them to settle completely.  I didn't think this much improvement was possible either and is the first time I've experienced it firsthand.

Congrats on getting what is one of the best center channels made and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
LRC
« Reply #23 on: 24 Nov 2005, 06:25 pm »
Set the level controls at 2 to 3 oclock for more sensitivity.  There will be a setting where the LRC is loudest (most sensitive) and still have the clarity you want.

The LRC leaves the factory with the mid at 12 and the treble at 1 o'clock, which are music settings.  Feel free to adjust to taste.

LRC bass is very powerful and extended, isn't it!

Adz523

Re: LRC
« Reply #24 on: 24 Nov 2005, 06:51 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
Set the level controls at 2 to 3 oclock for more sensitivity.  There will be a setting where the LRC is loudest (most sensitive) and still have the clarity you want.

The LRC leaves the factory with the mid at 12 and the treble at 1 o'clock, which are music settings.  Feel free to adjust to taste.

LRC bass is very powerful and extended, isn't it!

I adjusted the level controls as you told me earlier and it helped a bit (took the trim down from +10 to +8).  As to your comment about the LRC bass being powerful and extended, I was more than pleasantly surprised -- shocked is more like it, since my previous center channel had a amplified 10" woofer.   "How you do that"?   I am currently running it as large -- so far so good - no strain at all.

Brian Cheney

lrc
« Reply #25 on: 24 Nov 2005, 06:55 pm »
The LRC and 626 Megawoofer, now standard in both models, is a collaboration between Dan Digre of Minneapolis Speaker Co and myself.  I import the WCF cone stock and send it to Dan.  I specified a long throw suspension, Q around .4, Fs at 32Hz and a four-layer 1.5" voicecoil.  Magnet is 30oz.  Dan got it right the first time.  When it gets to our factory we add the phase plug, test and assemble.

Bob15

Re: 626
« Reply #26 on: 25 Nov 2005, 05:46 pm »
Since the LRC is horizontal it does not have the horizontal dispersion of the CD 626.  Drivers on both are the same.

Is that right that the drivers are the same?  From the pictures and the review, the 626 looks like it has only one 6.5 woofer while the LRS has two.

Brian Cheney

lrc
« Reply #27 on: 25 Nov 2005, 08:59 pm »
same woofer, mid and tweeter on both LRC and 626, the LRC has an additional woofer.

Bob15

Re: lrc
« Reply #28 on: 27 Nov 2005, 07:42 pm »
same woofer, mid and tweeter on both LRC and 626, the LRC has an additional woofer.

I prefer at least the dual 6.5 inch drivers for full range L&R.  I guess then I would have to step-up to the RM30s.

Adz523

Re: LRC
« Reply #29 on: 3 Dec 2005, 03:06 pm »
Quote from: Adz523
I adjusted the level controls as you told me earlier and it helped a bit (took the trim down from +10 to +8).  As to your comment about the LRC bass being powerful and extended, I was more than pleasantly surprised -- shocked is more like it, since my previous center channel had a amplified 10" woofer.   "How you do that"?   I am currently running it as large -- so far so good - no strain at all.

In case anyone is interested, I take back my last sentence.  Going with the Small setting and a 50Hz crossover appears to sound the best for movie soundtracks.

ScottMayo

LRC as Center Channel
« Reply #30 on: 3 Dec 2005, 03:28 pm »
Quote from: Adz523
On the other hand, the LRC is smoother, very delicate and complicated and I can hear detail I have never heard before even though its a softer sound if that makes any sense..

Give it a couple of months - I'm betting you'll be back for a set of RM-30's as mains. Detail is what these speakers do.  8)

I run VMPS with Bryston as well, and I've yet to be disappointed. I get music you can reach out and touch. :-)

Adz523

LRC as Center Channel
« Reply #31 on: 3 Dec 2005, 09:10 pm »
I don't doubt it.  I love my Bryston 6B SST.

warnerwh

LRC as Center Channel
« Reply #32 on: 3 Dec 2005, 10:07 pm »
My system too has music you can reach out and touch.  It's funny how people will ask "where's the sound coming from?" with two monolithic speakers right in front of them :o

John Casler

Regarding Center channels
« Reply #33 on: 3 Dec 2005, 11:59 pm »
As far as Center Channels go the LRC is the Prince and the RM30C is the King.

B-U-T..... The RM30M is even better.

Recently I picked up a Front Projector and have been switching Centers to see what the differences are.

I have an LRC and the RM30M and both are stellar.

Many think that they need to use the RM30 C for the center when it is just as easy and "MORE EFFECTIVE" to use the RM30 M.

You simply place it on its side with the 10" woofer facing "UP" :mrgreen:

Last night it was "Revenge of the Sith", I can't describe the "room filling" sonics.

Tonight I think War of the Worlds will "rock my WORLD" :o  :o

Even right now just a simple FOOTBALL game (USC/UCLA) is mind boggling.

It certainly helps to have a 100" + diagonal picture 12' in front of you. :wink:

Doug Ravizza

Re: Regarding Center channels
« Reply #34 on: 4 Dec 2005, 03:21 pm »
Quote from: John Casler

Many think that they need to use the RM30 C for the center when it is just as easy and "MORE EFFECTIVE" to use the RM30 M.

You simply place it on its side with the 10" woofer facing "UP"

John,

In order to do that don't you have to rotate the FST and mid panels 90° for the correct horizontal dispersion?

I've been contemplating getting three (for surrounds and center) RM30's to go with my recently acquired RM40's but I have concerns about the driver layout of the RM30 in the center channel configuration and the symmetry of the sound field it produces, especially off axis. Do you position the speaker so that the FST is centered under the screen?

Doug

ScottMayo

« Reply #35 on: 4 Dec 2005, 04:33 pm »
Quote from: JC

You simply place it on its side with the 10" woofer facing "UP"

Quote from: Doug Ravizza

In order to do that don't you have to rotate the FST and mid panels 90° for the correct horizontal dispersion?

As you note, it depends on where you're sitting. If you're the only listener, as long as the center channel is pointed properly, you'll get what you need, regrdless of how the panels are turned.

My other caveat is, if you go with a RM-30M, pay attention to that extra bass output. JC, I think, likes some bass with his bass - I don't know anyone else that has ever put *4* VMPS subs in a room! If I tried that in my room, I'd have to hang onto the sofa, or I'd be bouncing all over the room.

In some rooms, having extra bass firing up towards the ceiling is a smart move. It's not the dimension with the worst modal issues in a typical room, and the bass coming out of a center channel isn't exactly a big issue for questions about phase. It can get you extra slam and fullness, and not any big downside.

But in some rooms this can be asking for trouble, and (Scott's standard harp here) an untreated room is going to find a way to get into that trouble. And then there's the issue of firing major waves of bass into your projection screen. You don't want the screen to shake!

So plan before pumping in that extra bass source.  8)

John Casler

« Reply #36 on: 4 Dec 2005, 06:01 pm »
Quote from: Doug Ravizza
John,

I've been contemplating getting three (for surrounds and center) RM30's to go with my recently acquired RM40's but I have concerns about the driver layout of the RM30 in the center channel configuration and the symmetry of the sound field it produces, especially off axis. Do you position the speaker so that the FST is centered under the screen?

Doug

Hi Doug,

Brian will rotate the FST (but not the Neo's) for an RM30 (M or C) used Horizontally.

I had my reservations about the tweeter being at one end also and it seems that the tweeter has the dispersion to cover the area well.

As far as the Neo's, when 3 across horizontally, they create a "MUCH" wider sweet spot.

However with the new CDWG installed it will work even better in the area of dispersion.

I have the "center" neo in the "center" of the listening position.