VMPS RM40 Custom Cabinets

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #20 on: 6 Mar 2003, 08:07 pm »
for the rm40, nate, i'd actually consider making the radius in the other direction - outward, not inward...

doug s.

nathanm

« Reply #21 on: 6 Mar 2003, 08:42 pm »
Kinda like horn-loading the drivers?  I thought they were supposed to be so directional as is though?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #22 on: 6 Mar 2003, 09:42 pm »
nate, the rounded baffle, radiusing away from a driver, is supposed to greatly reduce any diffraction.  i'm not sure what effects the inverse-radius design of the rm/x are...  if i had to guess (which i do!  :)  ), i'd say the the rm/x style may have less sound coming from the cabinet, but the standard-style radius would have better horizontal dispersion.  

in any event, a while back, on harmonic discord, brian cheney agreed w/me that a standard radius would be an improvement over the standard rm40 baffle, & any improvement would be good enough for me, since i prefer the look of the standard radius, as opposed to the inverse one.  and, i'd bet it could be made more easily, w/conventional materials...

regards,

doug s.

edit:  oops - re-reading your post re: horn-loading i now realise ya thought i meant placing the curves *in front* of the drivers - absolutely not - i mean just radiusing them in a convex manner away from the drivers, instead of in a concave manner.

nathanm

« Reply #23 on: 6 Mar 2003, 10:18 pm »
Gotcha.  Perhaps then the side of a cylinder would be good then?  Hmmm.  I do think the RMX curves are quite appealing regardless of sound issues! :)

rosconey

« Reply #24 on: 6 Mar 2003, 10:32 pm »
sonotube instead of pvc pipe :o

nathanm

« Reply #25 on: 6 Mar 2003, 10:50 pm »
Sure - probably easier to cut.  The PVC would have a smoother finish though, if you wanted to paint it all glossy 'n stuff.  Doesn't the cardboard tube have lines going through it? Plus I was thinking you could radius the edges with a router perhaps.  Unless of course routers melt PVC at such high RPMs.

Ahh, it's fun to dream, but I've got plenty of unfinished projects as is! A custom cabinet that size would be a major job.

Woodsea

« Reply #26 on: 6 Mar 2003, 11:14 pm »
I can tell you from first hand experience with the RM/X that it has a beautify and omniprescence that  can only be known first hand.  The Piano Black finish is awesome, I like my 626 finish but the RM/X easily surpasses them.  But if I were to be spending upwards of $4500 for a pair of speakers,  :!:  would be getting a wood veneer!

azryan

any news???
« Reply #27 on: 21 Apr 2003, 08:17 pm »
Just wondering if Audio Architect ever actually built these speakers ever? By now I'd think he'd have a finished pair, or at least a progress report.

Seems like this was just a computer graphic that looked cool, but like I noted way back would be very hard to cut w/ those complicated angles.

Audio Architect seems to dislike my comments as just being pessemistic, but a month and a half after his last post... nothing?

Are you still out there Audio Architect??

Audio Architect

Re: any news???
« Reply #28 on: 21 Apr 2003, 10:30 pm »
Quote from: azryan
Just wondering if Audio Architect ever actually built these speakers ever? By now I'd think he'd have a finished pair, or at least a progress report.

Seems like this was just a computer graphic that looked cool, but like I noted way back would be very hard to cut w/ those complicated angles.

Audio Architect seems to dislike my comments as just being pessemistic, but a month and a half after his last post... nothing?

Are you still out there Audio Architect??

I am still here. I have been waiting for driver information which I just received. I may be ready to take orders, if anyone is still interested in about 6 to 8 weeks. Since many manufactures reference new products many months before they are actually released, I do not consider 1.5 months or even 8 weeks to be that long, especially since I am not an established manufacturer. I am not doing this to steel business away from VMPS, but to provide people with another option. If no one is interested so be it. I feel Azryan is not really interested in this option, but just wants to discredit me. I do not argue with the fact that these will be difficult to build and I am sure that is why VMPS is not offering something like them because they would no longer be the value they presently are.

wshuff

« Reply #29 on: 21 Apr 2003, 11:58 pm »
Audio Architect,

Are you going to build a pair for yourself, or are you just building them to sell?    I look forward to seeing pics of a finished version.

Audio Architect

« Reply #30 on: 22 Apr 2003, 01:01 am »
Quote from: wshuff
Audio Architect,

Are you going to build a pair for yourself, or are you just building them to sell?    I look forward to seeing pics of a finished version.

My original reason for designing the custom cabinets was for my own use, so I will definitely build a pair for myself as soon as I can afford to. Whether that will be prior to selling them to others is still an unknown. I will post pictures of the cabinet minus speakers as soon as I build one. Check back in 6 to 8 weeks.

azryan

« Reply #31 on: 22 Apr 2003, 07:47 pm »
Architect,

I wasn't trying to discredit you. I don't know how I could actually?

I just wondered if you had actually cut any MDF yet or if your design was still just a comp. rendering since you seemed to disappear for a long while.

I'd really like to see that speaker actually completed, but yes, I'm not interested in actually buying a kit from you. Never said I was though.

Hey, if anything my question got this thread bumped for you.

Didn't know you were just not going to build it for money reasons or whatever. MDF's pretty cheap, and I just figured you had the tools already.

I guess 'cuz I'm halfway through build large cabinets myself and started after you posted you were working on this RM-40 redux, that I expected something from you by now. Not that you have to do anything, but that's why I asked if you disappeared.

Hope the design gets completed as some pics are posted. I'd love to see 'em, as I'm sure other would too.