Mounting Foam Diffusors

Syrah

Mounting Foam Diffusors
« on: 3 Feb 2012, 02:37 pm »
Hi All,

I found a whole bunch of these in my closet.

They are 22" * 22".  I was going to glue 4 of them on plywood panels hung on each side of my walls behind my second reflections absorbers - so almost immediately to my left and right of my seating position.

My question is this, how should I arrange the four on the plywood panels.  Having seen other designs, I was thinking of two with the lines running vertically, next to two more with the lines running vertically.  But I could do anything really, alternating vertical and horizontal, a giant X pattern.

Any thoughts from the experts?  Also, are these any good?  I bought them from a music store and they were dirt cheap.  I was going to spray paint them once mounted.

Thanks in advance.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Mounting Foam Diffusors
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:03 pm »
Lots of options. The one thing you don't want to do is to hang repeating patterns right next to each other.  So, 2 vertically oriented next to each other isn't a good idea. This can cause lobing problems.

Bryan

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:16 pm »
Bryan,would that be the same for the ceiling(using gridfusors)thanks.

Syrah

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:28 pm »
Thanks Bryan.  So I'd be better off going (clockwise) vertical, horizontal, vertical, horizontal?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:51 pm »
It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  For instance, behind a panel speaker, you could do ear level or so vertical to widen the soundstage and then vertical on top to compensate for high frequency problems off the vertical axis.

This is going to apply for pretty much any diffuser in terms of non repeating patterns right next to each other.

Bryan

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:53 pm »
Bryan,would that be the same for the ceiling(using gridfusors)thanks.

Yes.  Any time you repeat a pattern side to side, you're inviting lobing problems.  If you space them apart a bit (I prefer a minimum of 1/2 the width) then you minimize any potential issues.  Having them alternating, they can go directly beside each other if that radiation pattern is acceptable.

Bryan

Syrah

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2012, 04:29 pm »
Thanks.  I have absorbers in the first and second reflection points, behind the speakers, between the speakers, and behind the listening position.  I was going to put up the diffusers on the left and right walls behind the second reflection point absorbers, which is pretty much directly to the left and right of the listening position.  I had no strategy in mind, just thinking they are better off on the wall somewhere than in my closet.

I suppose as an alternative, I could mount them on the ceiling.  I will (at some point) be moving to line source speakers though, where I understand ceiling treatement is not very important.

Are these any good?  I remember them being stupid cheap.