Bryston Manic Moose Interface

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Bryston Manic Moose Interface
« Reply #140 on: 24 Sep 2020, 04:39 pm »

When a playlist is loaded, recycle songs, and random is selected....I always get the same songs played over again.   Some AI to make a better random experience would be nice.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the feedback and we'll certain take both the likes and dislikes into account developing nutty narwhal (like most everyone else), but I would like to make one suggestion that you may not have tried in manic moose related to your random playlist remark.  There's a button labeled consume, toggling this will remove a track from the play queue to ensure it isn't played a second time.  Not necessarily the solution you had in mind and perhaps you already considered?

Chris

GSDaudio

« Reply #141 on: 24 Sep 2020, 05:44 pm »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip.  I sometimes don't use the consume feature when working around the house....I get lazy with creating huge playlists then expect the BDP-1 to run music forever especially when I get my hands dirty i.e. painting.

Cheers,
Richard

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #142 on: 24 Sep 2020, 06:51 pm »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip.  I sometimes don't use the consume feature when working around the house....I get lazy with creating huge playlists then expect the BDP-1 to run music forever especially when I get my hands dirty i.e. painting.

Cheers,
Richard

yah that is a downside to that technique for sure.  If you the have the Bryston DB and Bryston API turned on you can also use the "add some song" feature to help keep your playlist going once it gets down to the last track.

GSDaudio

« Reply #143 on: 25 Sep 2020, 12:28 pm »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for pointing to me to this "add some song" feature!   This is just what I needed!    FYI the feature doesn't appear to work in Song View which I don't use often.

Thanks again!
Richard

Timslim18

« Reply #144 on: 16 Oct 2020, 03:02 am »
Posts in this forum topic left me scratching my head.  Somehow my incredible frustration with MM must not have been experienced by others.  As recent as last week, I had more aggravation as the last update of MM bricked my BDP-1 once again. Perhaps, I wondered, my expectations of a stable, attractive and intuitive user interface were too lofty.

But apparently not.  I just read the review below and had to agree with each point related to MM.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-bryston-bda-314-dac-streamer-digital-preamp-r941/

The Computer Audiophile on September 4, 2020 in his review of the BDA-3.14 devoted half of his article to describing his user experience with MM.  He wrote... "I couldn't find any redeeming qualities in this interface."

The quality of hardware is only as good as the quality of the software.  Neither is any good on its own. 

Who wants to buy an Aston Martin with glitchy software causing it to stall expectantly and go no higher than first gear?

After eight years, this long-suffering Canadian is just about done with his BDP-1 and his BDP-3 and only because of MM.

NorthMac

« Reply #145 on: 16 Oct 2020, 05:19 pm »
Posts in this forum topic left me scratching my head.  Somehow my incredible frustration with MM must not have been experienced by others.  As recent as last week, I had more aggravation as the last update of MM bricked my BDP-1 once again. Perhaps, I wondered, my expectations of a stable, attractive and intuitive user interface were too lofty.

But apparently not.  I just read the review below and had to agree with each point related to MM.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-bryston-bda-314-dac-streamer-digital-preamp-r941/

The Computer Audiophile on September 4, 2020 in his review of the BDA-3.14 devoted half of his article to describing his user experience with MM.  He wrote... "I couldn't find any redeeming qualities in this interface."

The quality of hardware is only as good as the quality of the software.  Neither is any good on its own. 

Who wants to buy an Aston Martin with glitchy software causing it to stall expectantly and go no higher than first gear?

After eight years, this long-suffering Canadian is just about done with his BDP-1 and his BDP-3 and only because of MM.

Not sure what you mean by 'your frustration' - if you mean having your BDP bricked, my impression is that very few have had this particular problem. If you mean just unhappiness with the usability and design of the interface, well there were many posts in this thread earlier in the summer agreeing with this, and pretty much repeating the Computer Audiophile review criticism.  And in response to a post by you in fact, James did acknowledge that Bryston is now aware of the "range of opinions" around interfaces, and perhaps, a greater awareness of the value of a well designed app.  So that is all we can do at the moment as customers....  short of actually moving away from Bryston as you are intending to do. 

gbaby

« Reply #146 on: 18 Oct 2020, 08:20 pm »

My Manic Moose is not glitchy. Of course, I don't have any fancy network setup and I don't us Roon. I have my own CDs and music that I import. Regardless, I like Manic Moose.

Nitsuave

« Reply #147 on: 21 Oct 2020, 02:18 am »
I’ve been using Manic Moose for 6 months with my BDA 3.14 to stream from my NAS as well as Tidal.
There are 2 items that could be tweaked when accessing my album collection in Tidal.

1. When going into an album to view and select individual tracks and then going back out to the album list, MM takes you back to the top of your list.  This same sequence with my NAS albums keeps me in the same range of albums.

2. When I view my album collection in Tidal is it possible to display the list alphabetically by artist instead of by album title?  The artist view sort of accomplishes this but displays all albums for each artist in my collection which is not exactly what I want.

Otherwise, MM meets my needs and the sound of the BDA 3.14 is superb.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #148 on: 21 Oct 2020, 11:22 am »
Thanks everyone for your feedback - we are working on improvements.

james

vonnie123

« Reply #149 on: 22 Oct 2020, 10:11 pm »
Quote from: Timslim18 link=topic=171001.msg1827561#msg1827561 date=160281734n8

No doubt the BDP-1 is underpowered, but that's not neccessarily the fault of MM.  MM has undergone numerous improvements, and basically the BDP-1 can't keep up.  The original ipad can't be used with anything either.  I have a BDP-1 and two BDP-2s (one has a BOT-1 attached).  The BDP-2s are rock solid, and the BDP-1 is still very serviceable as a Roon renderer.  Where problems arise is when you want to switch back and forth between Mpad, DLNA, and Roon Ready.  The database is sluggish on the BDP-1.  Why you are having difficulty with a BDP-3 is beyond me.  The BDP-2s work great.

Try downloading the Rigelian app.  That might be easier for you to navigate.

GSDaudio

« Reply #150 on: 23 Oct 2020, 06:35 pm »
"Try downloading the Rigelian app.  That might be easier for you to navigate."

I downloaded the app last week.     The app warned that MPD 0.17 too low.   Need MPD 0.19.   (something like that)

I proceeded any way and the BDP-1 became unresponsive.  I had to "turn-off. turn-on" to get it back.

I understand that the BDP-1 is maxed out at MPD 0.17

Try SOUNDIROK ....but it will cost you $5 to try.   

Cheers,
Richard

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #151 on: 23 Oct 2020, 11:56 pm »

I understand that the BDP-1 is maxed out at MPD 0.17

That's not true, BDP-1's support the latest firmware and Manic Moose currently offers users the ability to choose between 0.17, 0.18 and 0.19

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Chris

GSDaudio

« Reply #152 on: 24 Oct 2020, 11:22 am »
Hi Chris,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !!!

I switched to MPD 0.19.21 on my BDP-1 and it works perfectly!   Rigelian now works and I am starting to play with the interface.

Thank you for the link to Manic Moose pdf.   Hopefully, I won't spread fallacies on this forum again.  :D

Cheers,
Richard

Pironi

« Reply #153 on: 30 Nov 2020, 11:28 pm »
Hello,
BDP2 here,
Just moved to a new home and had to reset all network related stuff to work.
The setup is the same but it seems I have a strange problem.
There is no way to find Tidal login interface in the MM.
Just downloaded the latest f/w

S2.44 2020-11-05

And yes please do something with the interface..
I have lost count on the times that I sat down to listen to some music and I ended up trying to figure out what is wrong with MM

[/img][/img][/img][/img]
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2020, 07:59 am by Pironi »

gbaby

« Reply #154 on: 30 Nov 2020, 11:47 pm »
Recently, I had to upgrade my MacBook Pro. It took quite some time and so I had to use my phone to access Manic Moose. From having used it before, I found it very easy, intuitive and convenient using Manic Moose with my iPhone.  Love live Manic Moose. 8)

GSDaudio

« Reply #155 on: 1 Dec 2020, 12:29 am »
Just unwrapped my new BDP-3!!!!

Everything I turned off in manic moose to keep my BDP-1 working was turned on my BDP-3.....happy, happy, happy!    And man, the BDP-3 sound is a bigger leap in fidelity than I expected!   Both in library folder music and most definitely with TIDAL.   I think it is a good match with the dac in my BP26DA.   

Cheers,
Richard

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #156 on: 1 Dec 2020, 11:18 am »
Hello,
BDP2 here,
Just moved to a new home and had to reset all network related stuff to work.
The setup is the same but it seems I have a strange problem.
There is no way to find Tidal login interface in the MM.
Just downloaded the latest f/w

S2.44 2020-11-05

And yes please do something with the interface..
I have lost count on the times that I sat down to listen to some music and I ended up trying to figure out what is wrong with MM

Well I'm not going to say you've never had problems with Manic Moose, but in this case TIDAL has changed how devices like the BDP's authenticate with there service and the change is one forced on us all.  There is now a login button in the TIDAL menu found on the default page as per the README that appears before upgrading firmware.

Chris

Pironi

« Reply #157 on: 1 Dec 2020, 02:27 pm »
It worked.
Thank you very much for the prompt reply!

davidtgoh

« Reply #158 on: 18 Dec 2020, 01:40 pm »
It would be very helpful for me if there was an ability within MM to read pdf’s of booklets that are stored in the same folder as the music files on a given album. I listen primarily to a very large collection of classical ripped cd’s and hi rez downloads (dsd, dxd, pcm).  I organize through grouping by performer or composer/work in folders - it’s cumbersome but works for me as I frequently compare performances of the same work. I store the booklets of pdf in the same folder even though MM does not recognize them and read the booklets from my networked computer. 
BDP-3, BDA-3. 
BTW-Bryston customer service remains amazing - last wk Chris Rice responded right away and fixed an issue with my BDP through service mode. Many thanks!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #159 on: 20 Dec 2020, 02:18 pm »
It would be very helpful for me if there was an ability within MM to read pdf’s of booklets that are stored in the same folder as the music files on a given album. I listen primarily to a very large collection of classical ripped cd’s and hi rez downloads (dsd, dxd, pcm).  I organize through grouping by performer or composer/work in folders - it’s cumbersome but works for me as I frequently compare performances of the same work. I store the booklets of pdf in the same folder even though MM does not recognize them and read the booklets from my networked computer. 
BDP-3, BDA-3. 
BTW-Bryston customer service remains amazing - last wk Chris Rice responded right away and fixed an issue with my BDP through service mode. Many thanks!

This should already exist.  It does require both the Bryston DB and Bryston API to be turned on under the Bryston DB media player settings along with get artist inf found under default media player settings.  If it's not working place the unit into service mode and email me the service is so I can take a look remotely.

Chris