Scotch!!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #500 on: 17 Nov 2020, 11:04 pm »
You may have bough him a nice bottle of Dalmore, which is a nice scotch.

But individual taste are hard to predict.  Try buying him one of the many Japanese scotches malt whiskys.  Some are excellent, and it may be something outside his usual taste experience. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #501 on: 17 Nov 2020, 11:08 pm »
The deer head Scotch is The Dalmore. I'll guess it was the 12-year-old? In Oregon it costs about $65 and closer to $100 in WA.

Scotch drinkers' preferences are all over the map. I personally quite like The Dalmore 12 because the Scotch was stored in Sherry casks before bottling. It's not peaty. I like that flavor. Someone once highly recommended I try a really peaty Scotch that I just could not drink. I ended up giving it to a buddy of mine. I guess you want to avoid any Scotch that was stored in sherry casks.

Michael

syzygy

« Reply #502 on: 17 Nov 2020, 11:14 pm »
I have the 15 year Dalmore and really enjoy it.

twitch54

« Reply #503 on: 18 Nov 2020, 03:06 am »
The deer head Scotch is The Dalmore. I'll guess it was the 12-year-old? In Oregon it costs about $65 and closer to $100 in WA.

Scotch drinkers' preferences are all over the map. I personally quite like The Dalmore 12 because the Scotch was stored in Sherry casks before bottling. It's not peaty. I like that flavor. Someone once highly recommended I try a really peaty Scotch that I just could not drink. I ended up giving it to a buddy of mine. I guess you want to avoid any Scotch that was stored in sherry casks.

Michael

Michael, if you enjoyed the Dalmore 12 that was 'finished' aging in sherry why would you say to avoid such(last sentence) ?

For the record Scotch whisky to the best of my knowledge is rarely ever solely aged in sherry casks, it's a finished casking process. In the case of Dalmore 12 it's first 9 years are spent in the traditional white oak (ex bourbon barrels)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #504 on: 18 Nov 2020, 05:38 am »
Need some advice from y'all since I don't drink scotch.
One of my clients states he loves good Scotch. Got him an
expensive bottle last year and he tells me later that he has it in the freezer
chilling. Found out he gave it to his partner cause he thought it was crap.
Can't remember the name but it has the deer head on it and cost me just
over a hundred bucks. Based on what I just stated what would be a decent
Scotch for somebody like this?

Thanks guys
Don

Michael, if you enjoyed the Dalmore 12 that was 'finished' aging in sherry why would you say to avoid such(last sentence) ?

For the record Scotch whisky to the best of my knowledge is rarely ever solely aged in sherry casks, it's a finished casking process. In the case of Dalmore 12 it's first 9 years are spent in the traditional white oak (ex bourbon barrels)

Hi, Twitch.

If you reference Don's post above, you will see that he presented a bottle of what is likely The Dalmore 12 to a business client. The client did not like it and gave it to his partner. My comment about avoiding sherry finished Scotch was based on my assumption that Don's client does not like that sort of Scotch. I think it's great stuff personally, and I do recommend people try it. When my wife's number three sister got married (in Taiwan), I bought something like a case and a half of 12 year-old Dalmore and placed one bottle on each table for guests' enjoyment.

Michael