Triple 12" OB H-frames for HT use

Dynky

Triple 12" OB H-frames for HT use
« on: 26 Jun 2020, 08:42 pm »
Hi,
I'm currently running an OB setup consisting of a DAudio clone of their C1 model, which are simply stunning...so no need to change anything on that part of the spectrum.

Specifically for surround/home theater use, I combine the above with 2 sealed DIY subs, based on JL Audio 13W7 drivers, which in turn do a great job of shaking things up if needed.
These support the OB's from 75Hz downwards in surround mode (and occasionally in stereo, when volume is pushed hard with certain types of music).

I'm now considering to replace these 2 sealed subs with 2 triple H-frames using Danny's 12" servo drivers (using the subwoofer kit 5 available on the website)

Do any of you guys have any first hand experience using these H-frames for HT duty and do they have enough headroom to be used safely in such a HT setup?

fwiw; my room measures about 4,5m x 6,5m

I've used double stacks from Danny before in a previous OB setup, so I know what those drivers are capable of, but back then I never used them without support of a sealed sub for specific HT use either.

Joemamma

Re: Triple 12" OB H-frames for HT use
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2020, 08:57 pm »
OB subs are the best for music, no comparison.  However, for HT duties they don’t work.  The drivers will bottom out horribly. 

Dynky

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2020, 09:21 am »
I've experienced that with my previous dual 12" stacks as well, but of course 2 triples again are something a little different...and I'd be using them only for support below +-75Hz this time, not for the complet low-end like I did before.

I'm hesitant to take this leap, hence my question for actual user input from people running these triples  :wink:

Dynky

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2020, 03:29 pm »
OB subs are the best for music, no comparison.  However, for HT duties they don’t work.  The drivers will bottom out horribly.

I thought this to be the main (potential) issue as well, so I asked Danny about it and got the following reply;
The A370PEQ version of the amp will limit power to prevent over driving

fwiw; this was me asking about a dual triple stack, so 3 drivers/stack with each their A370 amp powering it.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2020, 04:59 pm »
Hello.

If you have a LFE channel you could use a sealed sub on that for movies and the OB subs for the main left and right channels for music.

Dynky

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2020, 05:03 pm »
I'm not running a separate LFE channel and that's not the way I'd want to solve this anyway.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2020, 05:17 pm »
I Hear ya, I would not want to do it that way myself either. I prefer straight stereo but I have heard of others on here doing it that way. This has been talked about before here if you do a search you might find a thread or two but I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some info.

Good luck.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2020, 05:18 pm »
I’ve experienced the bottoming out issue with dual 8 ohm drivers. Having a third driver reduces the amount of excursion so may prevent the bottoming issues.

That said, I also have a sealed servo sub for the LFE channel. The sealed sub has solid output down to 10Hz and as such, does a much better job with the infrasonic frequencies you can feel but not hear. I configure the main speakers as large/full range and the subwoofer channel as LFE only.

Even if the triple subs don’t bottom out, adding the sealed servo sub gives a fuller movie experience.

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2020, 05:33 pm »
Use the right tool for the right job. I, too, use a separate, sealed sub for HT.

A sealed sub is best for HT because you actually want some window rattling boominess for explosions and such. A refined OB servo sub, regardless of double or triple stacked, is certainly possible, but it isn't optimal in an HT environment for both sound and effect.

I realize the OP doesn't want to go that route, but this seems to be a consensus that it's the best answer to your question.

Simple solution -- keep your sealed subs for HT and build triples for music. Best of both worlds.