Floyd vs. Conor

Bendingwave

• Restricted
Re: Floyd vs. Conor
« Reply #40 on: 28 Aug 2017, 02:43 am »
I was watching this vid and there was a red caption on the top that said breaking news floyd made 1 billion so I assume they were talking about this fight alone, but not absolutely sure though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYVO33HbJE

dB Cooper

« Reply #41 on: 28 Aug 2017, 03:10 am »
Nope. That's a whole-career guess. Probably based on the wild/highball estimate of 300 mil for this one. Reality is probably closer to 100 or somewhat under.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #42 on: 28 Aug 2017, 11:34 am »
Nope. That's a whole-career guess. Probably based on the wild/highball estimate of 300 mil for this one. Reality is probably closer to 100 or somewhat under.

If you can believe what you read in the funny papers, Floyd's billion dollar threshold pertained to career earnings, something only Tiger Woods and Michael Jordon accomplished before him.

"Floyd Mayweather to surpass US$1billion in bout with Conor McGregor

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/08/27/08/48/floyd-mayweather-career-earning-set-to-surpass-one-billion-dollars-in-bout-with-conor-mcgregor

"Mayweather’s cut would push him above a threshold that only Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan have previously reached in the world of sports."

Sent from my iPad

dB Cooper

« Reply #43 on: 29 Aug 2017, 02:49 am »
I know you've all probably heard about enough about the fight, but I still suggest you watch this brief video titled "Four 2017 Fights That were As Good As Mayweather/McGregor". I think you'll find the choices interesting.

geowak

« Reply #44 on: 29 Aug 2017, 03:30 am »
Db cooper... cool video. Nice collection of fights in many sports. I think everybody knew the McGregor Mayweather fight was much less about MMA vs Boxing and really about making money for the promoters and
two loud mouth fighters. I mean Floyd and Conor are really laughing as they are counting all the money people paid for PPV go into their pockets. In the end, I felt the fight went as many people in the boxing world predicted, no real surprises. Although Conor went toe to toe with the best boxer of his generation (at 40yrs old) in his first professional boxing match. I don't think many MMA fighters could ever do that.

dB Cooper

« Reply #45 on: 29 Aug 2017, 02:51 pm »
Considering Floyd's diminished skills and McGregor's relative inexperience, setting aside who the combatants were, the fight was nothing special- the action was undercard-grade. Floyd clearly could not beat the top guys in the division anymore. As usual, he cherry picked an opponent whose weaknesses he knew he'd be able to exploit.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: 29 Aug 2017, 04:28 pm »
To be fair, Conor cherry-picked himself! :lol:  He's obviously a savvy guy.  Calling out Floyd like he did and running his mouth didn't cost anything for McGregor, and I'm not sure if he was even serious in the beginning.  But someone realized the potential money to be made from making the fight.  It looks like both parties took it seriously, too.  Conor looked a lot sharper than I expected and Floyd showed more aggression than I have seen from him in decades, if ever.  I expect few people that paid for the fight felt cheated.