Class D Showdown: Purifi vs. Gan5

Early B.

Class D Showdown: Purifi vs. Gan5
« on: 23 Oct 2022, 07:05 pm »
Earlier this year, I purchased the VTV Purifi dual mono version with Sparkos 2590 Pro opamps. It was a game changer -- it destroyed all other amps before it by a large margin. 

A couple of months ago, I purchased the GaN5 amp ( https://classdaudio.com/mini-gan-5-balanced-power-amplifier.html ) for a secondary system. I'm just getting around to comparing the GaN5 to the Purifi amp and the results aren't surprising...

Bottom line -- the Purifi amp beats the GaN5 in every category. This isn't exactly a fair comparison since the Purifi is dual mono, although I have no idea how much of a difference that makes. Sonically, the GaN5 is both a bit duller and brighter than the Purifi if that makes sense. Its detail retrieval isn't on the same level as the Purifi. Vocals aren't as pure and natural. Also, bass is more impactful on the Purifi.   

The GaN5 is very good, of course, especially for the sub $1,000 category. The GaN5 is perfect for my secondary system, but it doesn't provide premium-quality sound for a high-end audio system, nor should one expect it to. Pound for pound and price-wise, the Purifi amp is still the reigning champ.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Class D Showdown: Purifi vs. Gan5
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2022, 07:22 pm »
Thanks for the review!

I wonder how the new Class D Audio mono block amps would compare?

https://classdaudio.com/pair-of-mini-gan-5-monoblock-amplifiers-1.html

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2022, 07:51 pm »
Early B.

Thanks for the review. Sadly it is lacking in context. What was the source, preamplifier, speakers? Wire also matters (unfortunately).

morganc

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2022, 08:59 pm »
And also  did you break in the Class D?  Asking as I have a used Class D stereo  that’s well broken in and when I got the new monos they were not as good as the stereo version until over 100 hours or more…..just something to keep in mind as I could directly A/ B the two. 

Charles Xavier

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2022, 09:01 pm »
It doesn't  look like it's the same technology the Purifi looks class D  while the Mini Gan 5 is Gan Fet technolgy. Take a look at the Orchard Audio Starkrimson

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2022, 09:28 pm »
Early B.

Thanks for the review. Sadly it is lacking in context. What was the source, preamplifier, speakers? Wire also matters (unfortunately).

All of that is listed in my "Systems."

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2022, 09:35 pm »
It doesn't  look like it's the same technology the Purifi looks class D  while the Mini Gan 5 is Gan Fet technolgy.

Yeah, that's the reason to compare them, although both are Class D.

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2022, 10:59 pm »
All of that is listed in my "Systems."

Thanks. I had looked there but I never trust those listings to be current knowing how "restless" members are.

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2022, 11:17 pm »
It sounds like I'll need to try the Purifi monoblocks in comparison to my MiniGaN 5 monoblocks at some point.

Comparing only to my previous Benchmark AHB2 and Pass Labs XA25, the MiniGaN 5 monoblocks are much better resolving with better bass and cleaner, more expressive vocals. If the Purifi amps further improve things then it will be something to hear.

Out of curiosity, what does the impedance curve for your speakers look like? My M3 Sapphires drop to about 3.8 Ohms near 50 Hz but are in the 8 Ohm range once out of the low bass region. The MiniGan monoblocks do not sound bright or dull in my system (although they might in comparison to the VTVs), so I wonder if speaker matching plays a role.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2022, 11:27 pm »
It sounds like I'll need to try the Purifi monoblocks in comparison to my MiniGaN 5 monoblocks at some point.

Comparing only to my previous Benchmark AHB2 and Pass Labs XA25, the MiniGaN 5 monoblocks are much better resolving with better bass and cleaner, more expressive vocals. If the Purifi amps further improve things then it will be something to hear.

Out of curiosity, what does the impedance curve for your speakers look like? My M3 Sapphires drop to about 3.8 Ohms near 50 Hz but are in the 8 Ohm range once out of the low bass region. The MiniGan monoblocks do not sound bright or dull in my system (although they might in comparison to the VTVs), so I wonder if speaker matching plays a role.

That is something if the MiniGan is more resolving and cleaner than the Pass XA25.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2022, 11:38 pm »
I use the Gan5 in a secondary system.  It's definitely good for that purpose or if the mains in a HT system are difficult to drive for a receiver.  I paid $700 for it and can't complain.  If down the road something comes out better and I move something from the main system, I can always find a spot for the Gan5.  Thx for the review/comparison.

AllanS

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2022, 01:42 am »

I followed your XA25 odyssey with a lot of interest so was pretty surprised to read your review of the MiniGaN5.

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2022, 02:42 am »
That is something if the MiniGan is more resolving and cleaner than the Pass XA25.

Not surprising. The best attribute of the more recent Class D offerings, in general, is high resolution. They're small and nimble, I suppose.

Also, keep in mind that the various opamp options will change the sound of the Purifi amps, so like I said -- it ain't a fair fight. Of course, Mini GaN5 monoblocks would be a better match and likely close the gap.

One thing that's quite different among these two amps is the gain. While the Purifi amps have a gain of 12.8 dB, the GaN5 amps have an adjustable gain from 26 - 32 dB. This was apparent in this demo, especially with my tube preamp.   

The Mini GaN5 is great for what it is, but it's not a giant slayer. However, I think it can easily compete with amps twice its cost. If I were an "old-school" amp manufacturer,  I'd be looking to the future and it doesn't include 60 lb. amps with big-ass transformers. 

strateahed

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2022, 01:37 am »
Early B. - thanks so much for sharing this. I have been looking forward to seeing something like this for some time. Your showdown results are very valuable. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first head-to-head comparison of these two amps. Sure, there has been no shortage of opinions and conjecture as to which would (or should) be the better performer - GaN or Purifi. But yours is the only one I've seen where there was an actual A/B listening session. Happy Listening!

newzooreview

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2022, 02:17 am »
Was the MiniGan 5 connected via the RCA or XLR inputs?

I assume RCA since a Don Sachs preamp would typically have unbalanced outputs and the circuit is not balanced.

Early B.

« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2022, 03:43 am »
Was the MiniGan 5 connected via the RCA or XLR inputs?

I assume RCA since a Don Sachs preamp would typically have unbalanced outputs and the circuit is not balanced.

Yep.

rbbert

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2022, 03:21 pm »
Any idea how these might compare with the Purify?

http://www.atma-sphere.com/en/classD.html

Charles Xavier

jjss49

« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2022, 04:49 pm »
technology, modules matter some

implementation into the whole amp matters alot more

what the op heard is fine, but it is hard to generalize to comment on purifi sounds so and so, and gan fet sounds such and such

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2022, 04:58 pm »
Not to derail the thread
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/atma-sphere-class-d-amazing

I am friends with guy that wrote that review and I have heard the amps.  They sound very good and have deep, powerful controlled bass. They are very smooth and easy to listen too without fatigue.  He also has a pair of the Atma-Sphere MA-1 monoblocks which sound much better and they should for the price difference.