quick question regarding bryston preamps

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
quick question regarding bryston preamps
« on: 24 Sep 2016, 07:39 pm »
is something in the works to replace the bp6 and bp26 to better match the cubed amps? thanks...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: quick question regarding bryston preamps
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2016, 12:28 am »
is something in the works to replace the bp6 and bp26 to better match the cubed amps? thanks...

HI

No nothing planned.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2016, 01:21 pm »
HI

No nothing planned.

james

ok good, i didn't want my bp6 to become obsolete...not yet anyway, lol.

i take it the current designs match up well with the newer amps. why is that?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2016, 02:43 pm »
ok good, i didn't want my bp6 to become obsolete...not yet anyway, lol.

i take it the current designs match up well with the newer amps. why is that?

Hi Dave

If you remember our Bryston credo - "Linearity First and Foremost" - then unless we can figure out a way to make a current product we have more faithful to the input signal then change for change sake makes no sense.

I do think there may be room though for integrating some of the products - so maybe a BP-26 preamplifier combined with a BDA-3 DAC in a signal chassis is something to consider?

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2016, 05:32 pm »
Hi James I would think that is the way its trending right now and for the future, Dac and Pre combined.  Integrated and Dac as well would be in that equation. 

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2016, 06:14 pm »
I piggy back my BDA-1 to SP2 dac as well as doctor recordings run through a mixer. I thought using the digital path through the SP2 dac was slightly superior to analog 2 channel bypass particularly in the bass resolution. But since the repair to my SP2 power supply the analog 2 channel seems quite a bit superior in resolution, though it's obviously coming through much louder. Perhaps if I level match the volume I would still prefer the more digital path.

As I am hearing right now the analog bypass sound is excellent. :smoke:

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2016, 10:45 pm »
Okay, I level matched the best I could by ear comparing Valid Path by Alan Parsons, analog vs digital.
I was up to 112 decibels 'C' weighted before amp went into thermo shutdown. IMO I am going to give the nod to digital over analog but only by a slight margin. Like you have to play the music loud to hear the difference. A little more slam, a little more detail in resolution, not worth losing sleep over. :smoke:

vegasdave

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2016, 01:39 am »
Hi Dave

If you remember our Bryston credo - "Linearity First and Foremost" - then unless we can figure out a way to make a current product we have more faithful to the input signal then change for change sake makes no sense.

I do think there may be room though for integrating some of the products - so maybe a BP-26 preamplifier combined with a BDA-3 DAC in a signal chassis is something to consider?

james

i see james. very well then. definitely do not change for changes sake. i like and respect you guys because you not only deserve it, you've earned it. you guys really don't have anything to prove after 40 + years, but you still are, and i commend you guys for that because we the consumers benefit for all of your hard work...now to answer your question; i believe there is room for that. imo, i think it would be quite a hit as long as you can keep the price down without going into the red of course...other ideas for preamps would be well...i'm not saying to copy other companies, but say for example mcintosh with the many features in their preamps..the one thing i have been harping on you for years is to do a discrete hi tech 8 or 9 band analog eq, either in the preampor as a stand alone unit...i love the bp6, but i like to correct for poor, or poorer, recordings with great performances which sometimes need a boost in certain areas which can sometimes transform the recording at hand...i think a state of the art eq can do that, and who better to do it than you guys...never say never; it would be quite a surprise if such a product hit the dealer's shelves...anyway, those are my 2 cents for now...