VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

Stimpy

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #1200 on: 25 Sep 2020, 02:40 pm »
The Super Towers are interesting... They are original vintage from the early to mid-80s. I have the exact same pair of myself. Probably the mid-80s because they have the JVC leaf / ribbon super tweeter. While the very originals, the Motorola piezoo as the super tweeter on the front panel as well.

However, the 15-in woofer does not look original. Or maybe it's the very first original one... I had mine replaced after about 10 years with the white ones, after the surround s disintegrated on the original

He mentions the tower twos, but these are clearly super temps. yet the measurements he gave, our measurements for the tower too. The super towers are closer to 60 in tall, and weigh dr about 140 lb

David,

Were your Super Towers bought directly through VMPS (or Dealer), or were they from a kit?  I'm just curious as to the different driver locations, compared to a more standard S/T, like these:

Thanks.

davidc1

« Reply #1201 on: 25 Sep 2020, 03:46 pm »
Hi stimpy,

The speakers were purchased from a place called the Long Ear, a store up in Big Bear Lke California, in June of 1980. They were purchased as a kit, $500 a piece (which was half of the assembled price, and I think about $100 less than what the MSRP was of a kit), and shipped directly from VMPS to my home. The first few years of the Super Tower, had a driver arrangement as you see on mine. The symmetrical arrangement, with no right and left speaker. This is also how they were pictured if I remember correctly in advertisements in the back of Audio magazine. A few years later I believe Brian changed the driver placement. In addition, the original ones I purchased had the Motorola piezo tweeter, you know the one that's on top of the speaker, as the super tweeter on the front panel as well. A few years later I replaced it with the JVC ribbon/leaf super tweeter. The squarish silver one.

Stimpy

« Reply #1202 on: 25 Sep 2020, 06:00 pm »
Hi stimpy,

The speakers were purchased from a place called the Long Ear, a store up in Big Bear Lke California, in June of 1980. They were purchased as a kit, $500 a piece (which was half of the assembled price, and I think about $100 less than what the MSRP was of a kit), and shipped directly from VMPS to my home. The first few years of the Super Tower, had a driver arrangement as you see on mine. The symmetrical arrangement, with no right and left speaker. This is also how they were pictured if I remember correctly in advertisements in the back of Audio magazine. A few years later I believe Brian changed the driver placement. In addition, the original ones I purchased had the Motorola piezo tweeter, you know the one that's on top of the speaker, as the super tweeter on the front panel as well. A few years later I replaced it with the JVC ribbon/leaf super tweeter. The squarish silver one.

Hey David,

Thanks for the update.  I never knew the Super Towers were available in a symmetrical layout, like yours.  Interesting. 

Also, you mentioned the various woofers, in these ever-changing speakers.  One of the final 15" woofers, that Brian used, was a heavy duty design from Goldwood.  I've seen it as a replacement, and an upgrade, for both mains and subs.  Parts Express carries a 8 Ohm and a 4 Ohm version, depending on need?  It might make for a good modification for your S/T's.

https://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gw-15pc-8-15-heavy-duty-woofer-8-ohm--290-338

https://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gw-15pc-4-15-heavy-duty-woofer-4-ohm--290-336

Here's a 215 Sub, with the Goldwood.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #1203 on: 30 Sep 2020, 07:59 pm »
You know I'm in the same situation. I have all the drivers, the cabinets but no XOs. I want to finish mine out,
BUT I'm really not a surround guy, more to the fact, I just happen to have the parts, hence, No real need.

The parts may be used better elsewhere, maybe if I could come up with a few more.
I also have 2 sets of late model black RM30 cabinets, and know of a third, pair, partially
built.

The RM30s are scarce, especially of late. In over 2 years, 1 "OK" pair have been sold.

I have XOs in RM30s I use, I suppose I could pull and copy them.
I can swap them out, when the other project is finished up, and running.
Elixirs with the FST fix.

I'm looking for RM30 parts, what's out there? ANYONE!!! OX would be real cool, NO 10"
driver (wired out of the schemo) would make it really, REALLY cool, 6.5" drivers, Neos,
I can get the FSTs at PE. I think I know where a few Neos are..Just not painted. I'll have
to make pedestals.

PM let me know, how ever you want to do, That ok Mr Stimpy?

Regards

Pardon oldhvymec, just saw this.  Shaukaut was going to dig up the schematics or reverse engineer his surrounds.  He is getting settled in his new digs in Turkey so wanted to give him some time.  Hit up Shaukaut for the surrounds if you decide to build.  I did not go forward with my build and sold my parts, neos and 6.5" drivers.  I also am attached to my old school KEF 103.2 I use as my surrounds. Perfect for that application too good not to use. If it was me, I would use the parts for RM-30 builds.  What a worthwhile project, such a sweet spot for quality sound, size and high WAF.  Love me some RM-30's.  I would go series 2 so you don't have to dig up the 10" Misco drivers, easier to find the available 10" passive, plus those poor dual 6" passives had to work pretty hard against a 10" and two 6.5" drivers. Less is more for the quality of the low end of the Series 2, don't go as low, but more controlled, tighter IMO.

I posted schematics of the RM-30 previously, but here they are.  The capacitor across woofer are .01uF.  Reach out if you have questions. 

For the RM-30, the 6.5" drivers are available from Misco, PM me if you want a current quote, the quote is a few months old and they were like $68 with minimum order of $200.  If you ever decide to purchase, please let me know as I would like to buy a couple spare to support my RM-V60s. Shame I did not see your post as I would of sold you the two spare neos I had.  Only have two left which I need to support my RM-40 and RM-V60's.

If you go the surround route, I have a set of the MCM select that were used in surrounds.  Just sold a set, but still have three. I need at least one to support my LCR.

Also, on RM-30 coming up for sale.  Add 2 to your list as I sold my excellent RM-30 Series 2 to an AC member JakeJ. Snapped up in a few hours, and I had lots of other interest.  Super guy who I was able to meet and listen to some tunes. 

oldhvymec

« Reply #1204 on: 1 Oct 2020, 04:21 pm »
Also, on RM-30 coming up for sale.  Add 2 to your list as I sold my excellent RM-30 Series 2 to an AC member JakeJ. Snapped up in a few hours, and I had lots of other interest.  Super guy who I was able to meet and listen to some tunes.
[/quote]

Thanks for the information. In the interest of saving "good parts" for a better build is in the interest of all.  After seeing that RMdynaplete Pat special, I was set back a bit.. WOW.. I had a guy offer me 120+ of the 6" (I think there is a 4 and 6" model) for 10.00 usd each.

I have 3 sets of cases, one pair ok, one pair Gloss black, a chip or two, one pair perfect, still in the shipping boxes.
NO PEDESTALS. Good thing is I can make a better base, bad thing, I still have to do it!!!

My cup runneth over, currently..

Note to ALL, GSR, has just come out with a planar series of drivers that look to be as good as the old Bohlender Graebener  drivers, 1/3 - 1/2 the price. Neo 3, a new narrow longer 3" wide, neo 8, and 10s. 29.00-129.00 usd. I've used the neo 8s in a few builds, along with the mid-cup back neo 3s.  Good drivers... I like them in an enclosure though. learning that the back side of the driver is a real pain in the "back side" of the speaker too.. I see why Brian didn't like common driver DiPoles... They never sound quite right. I've tried for years, from lattice towers to wide baffle (concave, and convex) L-baffle, channel (L on both sides).
An enclosure works the best, for all the planars, so far...Along with heavy wool batting for the mids...

I'm for trying a 626 model with a FST, neo 10, and 8" RS series bass driver.  Sure would be nice to add the Elixir front baffle look into it but loose the FST enclosure. Add the Tweeter where it is currently at or, might try a driver swap, tweet between the mids and bass drivers.  Have to model it both ways... I been thinking on that one for a while.. I finally picked up a duplicating machine.
What ever I have a model of, I can duplicate, no CNC needed, for the small stuff. anyways...

OK Everyone.. You too Mr Stimpy, I hope you're all better from the Covid? Serious stuff...
Me it went from a spider bite, to a bruise, to a blood clot, to a heart attack or two or three. Yup rough 10-12 weeks for me too.
One balloon, two stints...and blood thinners, modern medicine, great stuff...

Regards

Stimpy

« Reply #1205 on: 1 Oct 2020, 05:45 pm »
OK Everyone.. You too Mr Stimpy, I hope you're all better from the Covid? Serious stuff...
Me it went from a spider bite, to a bruise, to a blood clot, to a heart attack or two or three. Yup rough 10-12 weeks for me too.
One balloon, two stints...and blood thinners, modern medicine, great stuff...

Regards

Thanks for the concern.  Covid's not fun, but I'm all better now.  It just took time to recover.  Luckily, as I guess I had a mild case?  I truly feel sad for people hit hard by the virus.  I wish it would disappear soon.

Oh, thanks too for the heads-up on the new GRS planar drivers.  They definitely look like BG clones.

https://www.parts-express.com/brand/grs/466?N=4294964284+4294967118+4294965610&Nrpp=99999&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bendeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_PortalID%22%2C%221%22%29+and+endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_Searchable%22%2C%221%22%29%5D&PortalID=1&brandSelected=t

« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2020, 01:13 pm by Stimpy »

oldhvymec

« Reply #1206 on: 2 Oct 2020, 01:35 am »
  :o
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2021, 04:46 am by oldhvymec »

/mp

Stimpy

« Reply #1208 on: 17 Nov 2020, 07:14 pm »
VMPS (Original "Tallboy" Larger) Subwoofer  -  (Lorain, OH)  $600

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/d/lorain-vmps-subwoofer/7231159362.html

"The Larger sub comes with two active woofers (12-inch and 15-inch) and a 15-inch downward-firing, slot-loaded passive radiator. This subwoofer is very substantial as the large (39”h x 22”w x 17”d) size and massive drivers allow this sub to achieve of 17Hz with a 3dB rolloff point!"

Stimpy

« Reply #1209 on: 8 Dec 2020, 03:07 pm »
VMPS subwoofer  -  (Lorain, OH)  $600

"The Larger sub comes with two active woofers (12-inch and 15-inch) and a 15-inch downward-firing, slot-loaded passive radiator. This subwoofer is very substantial as the large (39”h x 22”w x 17”d) size and massive drivers allow this sub to achieve of 17Hz with a 3dB rolloff point!"

Stimpy

« Reply #1210 on: 8 Dec 2020, 03:46 pm »
VMPS RM 30  -  (hercules, pinole, san pablo, el sob, CA)  $2,200

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/d/el-sobrante-vmps-rm-30/7234970649.html

"Beautiful pair of vmps rm30’s."

Stimpy

« Reply #1211 on: 23 Dec 2020, 11:37 pm »
VMPS FF-1 Speakers Pair  -  (Poughkeepsie, New York)  $2500 BIN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-FF-1-Speakers-Pair-/324428213339

"VMPS FF-1 Speakers Pair. Condition is "Used". Just before Brian passed I had replaced all four woofers and all for mid range plus the downfiring radiator. Couple scratches here and there nothing serious the grills are in good shape. badges are missing off the grills. As you might’ve guessed these are very heavy and cannot be shipped I would prefer to demo them to any buyer as well ZIP Code is 12603"

Stimpy

« Reply #1212 on: 23 Dec 2020, 11:47 pm »
VMPS FF-1 Speakers  -  (Pikesville, MD)  $1995

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649687886-vmps-ff-1-speakers/

"Selling a pair of VMPS FF-1 Speakers in Black Oak finish.These are rare to be offered for sale.
VMPS External Crossovers included.
Each speaker has (2) 12" Active woofers, (1) 12" Passive Radiator, (2) Planar Midrange Drivers, and (3) Tweeters.
These can crank out some serious sound with Awesome Bass.
Just upgraded and replaced the 12" Passive Radiator in each cabinet.
Speaker grills also replaced with new grill cloth.
Each speaker cabinet weighs 350 lbs. Very solid cabinets.
Pickup only in Baltimore, Maryland unless the Buyer arranges and pays for these to be packed, wrapped,and picked up by an outside service.
Please email any questions that you may have.
Thanks."

Stimpy

« Reply #1213 on: 2 Jan 2021, 10:03 pm »
Repost & Price Drop.  $500

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/d/elyria-vmps-subwoofer/7255630550.html

VMPS (Original "Tallboy" Larger) Subwoofer  -  (Lorain, OH)  $600

Stimpy

« Reply #1214 on: 2 Jan 2021, 10:10 pm »
Monster VMPS Home Theater Subwoofer! - (Websterville, Vermont)  $200

https://vermont.craigslist.org/ele/d/websterville-monster-vmps-home-theater/7247329447.html

"Incredibly rare VMPS Large Subwoofer with MegaWoofer. This was an expensive sub and competed with subs in a much higher price range. If you have the space, and you want something that not many can touch, this is for you. Piano gloss black finish with scratches. 1000 watt built in amplifier. Selling cheap because I am out of space."

ZAKski288

« Reply #1215 on: 20 Feb 2021, 05:35 pm »
VMPS  speaker full range   ( look like standard RM-2 w/FST tweeters to me )

VMPS Speakers Full Range. Condition is "Used".
Wehave a pair of custom made VMPS speakers which were made for a Grammy AwardWinning Producer and are one of a kind.  Here are some fine details on thebuild quality and driver topology:
Cabinets: These areusing 1.5 inch MDF laid over a birds eye maple.  The finish is a 10/10.The cost alone just for the veneer was $3,000.  Standard speakers aremade with 3/4 inch MDF so these are double that.
Tweeters: These arethe BEST hand made JVC ribbon tweeters and are the same as the $20,000 pairProac's and the ATC speakers
Mid-range drivers:These are planar magnetic drivers made and are hand built magnesium frames tohold the ribbons versus sheet metal on the original ones.  They were madeusing a spectro-graphic analysis.
Woofers: These usecarbon-fibre 12 inch woofers; one active and one passive.  One has a phaseplug driven by the air inside.
Sound: We had thesesetup in our store with McIntosh MC1.25 amps with a Lumin X1streamer/DAC/Preamp and the soundstage was to die for.  The sound is veryinvolving; similar to many $20,000 pair + speakers.  If you are in themarket for a new pair of speakers costing up to $10,000 pair, these speakerswill be on your short list. The original owner paid $15,000 for this pair andthese can be yours for only $6500.00 pair.   Offers will beconsidered. 

We will alsoinclude for free a Behringer Ultradrice Pro DCX2496 electronic crossover inwhich the original owner of the speakers used to tri-amp these speakers.

LOCAL PICKUP ONLY ORYOU CAN ARRANGE FOR BOXING AND SHIPPING.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Speakers-Full-Range-/363298964536?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

davidc1

« Reply #1216 on: 20 Feb 2021, 05:40 pm »
Interesting....what do you guys think? Did Brian ever make "custom-made" speakers beyond his usual custom-made? How come no close-up pics of drivers?

John Casler

« Reply #1217 on: 20 Feb 2021, 05:47 pm »
I tend to think, I would have known about such a special pair.

The descriptions sound a little embellished.  Magnesium Neos?  JVC Ribbons?  Bird's Eye Maple?

Hmmmmm.

davidc1

« Reply #1218 on: 20 Feb 2021, 05:51 pm »
Yeah....magnesium frams on the NeoPanels instead of sheet metal? For what purpose?

Says they are JVC tweeters...JVC didn't make the FST tweeters did they?

ZAKski288

« Reply #1219 on: 20 Feb 2021, 05:57 pm »
I think the guy has been smoking something  :o  in Hollywood.
They look like RM-2’s  with FST tweeters, 
Birds eye maple veneer is very nice.