Floorstanding Deluceo

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Floorstanding Deluceo
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2003, 09:49 pm »
For the most part I consider TN one of the preemminent experts on subs, but Russ Hershellman, also a very sharp acoustician, has found that the corner is the worst possible place for subs, and he has a lot of graphs and charts, too.  Personally I think you can get good sound with several different placement options, but I don't think you can get the bass flat enough for me without a good bass eq.  I use a parametric eq for the subs (both in the same corner) and I'll never use a sub again without eq.

Dr. Hsu, incidentally, endorses the 'all-the-subs-in-one-corner' philosophy, too.  When I queried him about adding another pair of subs to the pair I have ( :o ), he suggested that right next to my current ones is where I'd probably get the best results.

One last note;  Brian Cheney has said that all else being equal, the front of the floorstander will reinforce the bass freqs and produce better bass than the identical speaker on an open stand.  Guess he doesn't consider the extra area a bad thing since he advocates this having a board attached to the front on the stands with the 626's.

A pair of floorstanding Deluceos sound very intriguing, to say the least.  I can already picture a pair in Rosewood....

Brian Bunge

Floorstanding Deluceo
« Reply #21 on: 7 May 2003, 10:04 pm »
Rob,

I was in one of Russ' classes last year at CEDIA.  I remember him saying "two subs are good, 4 subs are better"! :)

I can build a pair of Diluceo's in rosewood!  Have you checked the price of rosewood veneer! :mrgreen:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Floorstanding Deluceo
« Reply #22 on: 8 May 2003, 05:32 pm »
Hey, I'm the rosewood king!  :nono:   (and Danny's tower cab source)
http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Floorstanding Deluceo
« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2003, 02:56 am »
Nice work, Hank.  You got some nice looking projects there.

No I haven't priced Rosewood lately:  it's academic right now.  I just bought 2 new audio racks and 3 new Norh amps, as well as some furniture.  Any new speakers will be a ways down the road. :cry: