Introduction Time

Ixnay

• We may argue and you may win. You're still wrong.
Introduction Time
« on: 16 Sep 2020, 02:43 am »
 Hi everyone. I registered as soon as I saw the GR Research sub project complete with plate amp. The build looks very solid, and I will probably use it in the future, but for now, I have an enclosure that will fill the bill (almost).
  I been a woodworker for many years, and stereo is closely related to my interests in wood.

I will try to upload an image for the sub project if I can.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Introduction Time
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2020, 10:51 am »
Welcome!

I built a pair of passive subwoofers from a kit in 1980, 6 cu. ft. transmission lines.  They were the best speakers I've ever heard: musical, fast, powerful, and deep.  That was my only speaker build as I moved away from Dad's table saw.  Did it to save $$$ as the manufacturer (I.M. Fried) didn't like building/shipping big cabinets.  Cabinets turned out fine, but back then the veneering was a huge challenge and didn't go so well.

But tell me, what's the mental connection between music and woodwork as that connection comes up often. 

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2020, 11:52 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:19 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Ixnay

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2020, 03:55 pm »
JLM,

Thanks for the reply. I have always been aware of sound, whether musical, mechanical or natural. Because of this there was a realization that material used in the build musical instruments played a big role. I am not as musically inclined as my father was, but have some sort of innate ability to build, and found it possible starting in Jr. High woodshop. The connection became obvious when I built my first set of speaker in my senior year. Corner horns, that being the K-horn designed by Paul Klipsch became available for plans to build a set. The plans were offered by Speaker Lab back in the day, and I was off to the races. Although I didn't care for the midrange horn, the tweeter was very good and the bass unforgettable. At 63 I have had several projects to build since my high school years, and try to choose woods/materials that will accomplish at least part of the signature of the build.
 Here is the project that I am attempting to mate this servo sub project with. It is a back loaded horn designed by Steve Dekart of Decware Audio. Although it does very well for most of it's intent, I chose a different driver made by Mark Audio that, because of it's size will only be able to produce bass to certain level. The sub may well be the answer.

Here is a shot of the speaker project:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2020, 08:50 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Ixnay   :thumb:  Nice woodworking skills.   8)

Ixnay

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2020, 09:15 pm »
  Thank you, and I am certain that there is a good home for my brain here.