244 weight?

AudioDwebe

244 weight?
« on: 20 Oct 2019, 07:48 pm »
I purchased four 244s about ten years ago.  I sold all but one (my young son painted on it) about five years ago as I was getting out of the audio hobby and more into the headphone hobby where acoustic treatments were no longer needed.

Was into headphones for a number of years, then about three months ago decided to get back into the audio hobby.  I immediately regretted selling most of my gear, which included the GIK 244s. 

So I contacted them and purchased a few more, both with and without the scatter plates.  To my surprise, the new 244s are about half to maybe even a third of the weight of the older models.  Are they using a better product for their bass traps, or did they change the frequency(ies) that their traps now help control?  Did they change the type or quantity of wood used in their products which would explain the weight loss?

Does anyone have an idea as to why this happend?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: 244 weight?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2019, 11:28 am »
Bought (6) 244 panels years ago (what they now call "full range", still have them) and a year ago bought (4) more but the "range limiter" type.  The only apparent difference between the two (both 2ft x 4ft panels) I found were:

1.)  The newer "range limiter" one had a center cross piece of wood added;
2.)  The newer "range limiter" one used 1.5 inch by 1.0 inch framing;
3.)  The original "full range" one used 1.5 inch by 0.75 inch framing;
4.) The front of the original "full range" one is "soft" when poked while the "range limiter" one is hard;
5.) The original "full range" one weighed 2.1 pounds (roughly 10%) more than the "range limiter" panel. 

Am confused about the "Flex Range Technology" and "scatter plate" option (couldn't find much information).  Is "Flex Range Technology" standard on all 244 panels?  Found an image showing scattering, but that's about it. 

If you need more information, you should contact GIK.

jriggy

Re: 244 weight?
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2019, 03:26 pm »

Am confused about the "Flex Range Technology" and "scatter plate" option (couldn't find much information).  Is "Flex Range Technology" standard on all 244 panels?  Found an image showing scattering, but that's about it. 

If you need more information, you should contact GIK.

Flex Range is a thin solid (no cut out holes or channels for diffusion properties) sheet of something (probably plexi or similar) that reflects some mids and highs. The Scatter Plate is similar but with many vertical cutout channels for diffusion.