Alnico - anyone moved from SET to solid state instead?

Ultralight

Much is made of the match of low powered SET with Omega Alnicos.  Wondering if there are anyone here who actually moved in the opposite direction and prefer solid state than SET?  If so, why and what solid state are you using?

Thanks,
UL

JackD201

Re: Alnico - anyone moved from SET to solid state instead?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2015, 07:50 am »
I've not seen it with Omegas specifically but in Europe and here in Asia, high efficiency single driver loudspeakers and horns are used with SS amps more routinely. Most typical are lower powered Class A SS amps from the likes of First Watt, Valvet, etc. Some chip amp aficionados too.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2015, 11:01 am »
I run Fostex F200A AlNiCo drivers (8 inch, whizzerless, 90 dB/w/m, 8 ohms) in floor-standing transmission line cabinets.  Had a nice (modern) tube integrated, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium (sorry not SET, used it with 4 EL34, 6550, KT77, KT88, and KT120 tubes), for several months that I preferred slightly to my solid state setup (Jaton RC2000S and original Channel Island Audio D-100 modded Hypex mono-blocks), but decided that I didn't need both.  Sold the Prima Luna as it had a much higher resale value and gave up a bit of tube palpability (frankly was disappointed that it didn't have more palpability).  Note that I'd tried an early Decware 34-I that had palpability in spades but also tons of bass bloat (these speakers don't need bass help!).  At 90 dB/w/m these speakers really need more muscle than SET's can provide.

Since I've bought a new Emotiva DC-1 DAC/pre/headphone amp and sold the Jaton pre and moved it and the mono-blocks to a spiked shelf on the floor away from the front wall to avoid higher bass energies and allow for a larger soundstage space - nice.  Never realized how much my very small rack against the front wall was affecting soundstage.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2015, 10:45 am by JLM »

DBC

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2015, 01:10 pm »
Much is made of the match of low powered SET with Omega Alnicos.  Wondering if there are anyone here who actually moved in the opposite direction and prefer solid state than SET?  If so, why and what solid state are you using?

Thanks,
UL

In 2000 I purchased a 2 watt Zen Amp from Decware. Ended up pairing that with Klipsch RF-7's. Afterwards I ended up selling off the 4 solid state amps I owned. In 2011 I upgraded to the 2 watt Super Zen from Decware which was a noticeable upgrade over the earlier Zen. I've been to Decware 3 times over the years and have hear most of their amps. Although the more powerful  Decware amps play louder they do not necessarily sound better than the Super Zen IMO.

In December 2014 I ordered a Peachtree 220se to audition based on the many positive reviews. Quite frankly I fully expected to be returning this unit, did not expect it would exceed the sound quality of my Super Zen. Upon first listen I was hooked on the 220se. I should mention I also listened to the Peachtree 65se and 125se. These are fine amps but not even close to being in the same league as the 220se. The 220se has a big, open and very dynamic soundstage with Bass that is the best I have had in my listening room. This amp is a great mate to my Omega Alnico Monitors and worth a listen.

Since purchasing the 220se I have swapped the Super Zen back into my system a few times but for only a day or two before I start missing what the 220se can do.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2015, 03:01 pm »

Thanks,
UL
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134155.0
This link conveys my experience with Class D, but I've tried several types of solid state on Omegas with great results.  Solid state is not inferior to SET, just different.  They each bring some wonderful aspects to the music in their own way.  It's all a matter of taste.

steve f

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2015, 05:43 pm »
I've moved away from SET amps and back to solid state. I've owned Decware and a few others, including a 2A3 equivalent (13EM7) amp. They are all pretty good sounding.

I still own a SET OTL amp which has proven superior to any transformer coupled amp I've ever listened to.

That said, I find myself enjoying solid state class D amps. Not little ones, but large amps rated at over 250 WPC. These amps have lower distortion in general, drive efficient speakers like Omegas effortlessly without clipping, run cool, and save electric power.

steve

ZLS

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2015, 07:41 pm »
    I moved from KT88 Tube Amps to Solid State.

I switch between a custom built Pass Labs Aleph J amp and a Brown Electronic Labs 1001 Mk. IV.

The Aleph J has such beautiful tone that I traded away my Dynaco Clone ST70.

The BEL Amp just sounds terrific with the Alnico 6 Monitors.   

Quiet Earth

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2015, 02:34 am »

I find myself enjoying solid state class D amps. Not little ones, but large amps rated at over 250 WPC.

Which one is your favorite?

steve f

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2015, 03:39 am »
My current Class D favorite is the Crown XLS1500. Yep, it's a pro amp.
 It's very low cost. You can give it a try and if you don't like it, you can easily resell and not be out much at all. I'm using one to power Quad ESLs and Horn Shoppe horns. ( I sold my Omegas ) it's a rack mount unit so you'll need to stick on rubber feet. Don't buy the XLS 1000, the circuit is different and not as good as the rest of the series. As long as you don't prefer a syrupy sweet midrange, this amp is very very good. It has a cooling fan, but it's so quiet, you won't hear if it's working. I do not find it fatiguing like a few name brands. With prodigious power, it won't clip driving an efficient speaker. The solid state forum has a lot of commentary on them.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2015, 10:19 pm »
In the AlNiCo thread the warm/musical "flavorings" of these drivers has been repeatedly mentioned.  And I suppose everyone is aware of the euphoric tube sound.  Putting AlNiCo and tubes together can easily be too much of a good thing.  I prefer adding just one flavoring to my system as it's too easy to overdo it or end up with a mess.  And since speakers are the hardest to not be "flavored" I strive to keep the rest neutral.

Don't know about other generalized aspects of AlNiCo drivers versus ferrite of neodymium but my drivers have very full/extended bass, but only average efficiency compared to most extended range drivers, so they're not well suited for SET amps that have limited output yet loose bass.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2015, 10:57 pm »
My current Class D favorite is the Crown XLS1500. Yep, it's a pro amp.
 It's very low cost. You can give it a try and if you don't like it, you can easily resell and not be out much at all. I'm using one to power Quad ESLs and Horn Shoppe horns. ( I sold my Omegas ) it's a rack mount unit so you'll need to stick on rubber feet. Don't buy the XLS 1000, the circuit is different and not as good as the rest of the series. As long as you don't prefer a syrupy sweet midrange, this amp is very very good. It has a cooling fan, but it's so quiet, you won't hear if it's working. I do not find it fatiguing like a few name brands. With prodigious power, it won't clip driving an efficient speaker. The solid state forum has a lot of commentary on them.

Agreed, I've mentioned the XLS more than a few times. For those on a buget it's a no-brainer and will allow you to purchase better speakers/subs to start out. The high pass xo would be very useful for the Quads and Horn Shoppe speakers, I have it set at 50 Hz and it's quite an improvement at anything more than low volumes. Of course the more you crank it the more of a difference it makes. My EL34 SET does have a better midrange and maybe slightly nicer highs, but the Crown smokes it at lower frequencies. It just FORCES the Omegas to put out midbass, the SET just can't do the same thing. Maybe a speaker impedance/amp output impedance issue as you're getting to the point impedance would start increasing due to the tuning frequency... Anyway, for ~$250 used it's a ridiculous value.

steve f

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2015, 11:29 pm »
They are now about $260 NEW on Amazon.
Dave did a great description BTW.

Steve

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2015, 11:45 pm »
They are now about $260 NEW on Amazon.
Dave did a great description BTW.

Steve

Wow! Also, we should point out there is a new model XLS amp out, not sure the exact differences, if any. It does look a lot nicer though!  :green:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2015, 02:39 pm by opnly bafld »

steve f

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:21 am »
Double wow. Thanks Lin.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:29 am »
That's the deal of the century on amps imo. I paid more for used ones not too long ago.  :duh:

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:24 pm »
A very good deal on a nice amp indeed.

I don't regret what I spent on my lightly modded 1500 at all.  It's a great piece AND it is affordable. 

vinagunner

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:40 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:52 am by vinagunner »

kingdeezie

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:53 pm »
I have a pair of Salk Exotica 3s, they use Alnico drivers.

I had them paired with Manley Neo Classic 250s, and I just recently swapped them out for a set of Merrill Audio Thors, which retail for less than half the price of the Manleys.

The Manleys are the better amps in a lot of ways, but hot dang if the Thors didn't bring the Exoticas to life with crazy fast transients, and lightening fast dynamics.

Despite the short comings in certain areas, I think the Thors are a much better match for the Alnico in the Exoticas. Despite missing some of the magic of the Manleys, I'm keeping the Thors.

YMMV.

steve f

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2015, 04:02 pm »
Audio is one of the areas where cost and performance do no correlate. In amplification especially, the best amps are becoming very neutral sounding, regardless of cost.  Yes you still can buy poor amplifiers, some of the most expensive among them. I don't begrudge anyone who spends $50K on a pair of amps. I do resent companies who deliberately make changes to the sound.

Speakers are the last frontier.