VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

AVB

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #1380 on: 17 Mar 2023, 05:05 pm »
If it is an FST tweeter, it is likely just the ribbon that is bad. It is a $6 part and fairly strightforward. I posted the instructions for performing replacement from Aurum Cantus along with my notes to help with operation. With you site challenge you may be able to find a friend locally who can perform for you. Also if it is just the ribbon, you could send to me and I will replace for you.

That is so very kind of you but this set has the spiral tweeter. They arrived about an hour ago and the one is missing the "wave guide" or grill or whatever you call it on the tweeter. Probably went face down at one point, These spiral tweeter use some kind of one sided sticky material to seal the round tweeter in the rectangular hole. Never having seen the back of a Aurum Cantus G2Si does it have a rectangular body that will fit in the hole with just a round face plate?

One bonus is that I do have the megawoofer so these were not a set of 626JR's as advertised but a spiral set of 626R's, Soon to be upgraded to theFST version.

As for the sub since I'm not going to run them from 2 amp channels hooking them in series will do it.

wyman

« Reply #1381 on: 17 Mar 2023, 05:09 pm »
When you say ribbon speakers do you mean whole speakers like a 626R for example, or ribbon drivers that go in the speakers?

Both. I have had a few questions on what all I have, and to be honest I dont know the details of the speakers that well. I got the speakers from my father along with some spare parts in boxes. I took some photos so maybe they will be more helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j7wst9y8okiz0d7/AADSa7w1YeM3nRW5ffmV_CgQa?dl=0

AVB

« Reply #1382 on: 17 Mar 2023, 05:15 pm »
I asked for a quote for run of 4 a little over a week ago from Misco and had not yet received a response. I take it you have a recent quote?
They need to do a run of 10 drivers at $100 ea. Less than 10 kick the price to $200 each. Lead time is 8-12 weeks. I don't know how much lower the price would go if you got more than 10.  Since my 626R's that just arrived have the megaqoofer contrary to what the owner said I really don't need any now.

AVB

« Reply #1383 on: 17 Mar 2023, 05:29 pm »
Both. I have had a few questions on what all I have, and to be honest I dont know the details of the speakers that well. I got the speakers from my father along with some spare parts in boxes. I took some photos so maybe they will be more helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j7wst9y8okiz0d7/AADSa7w1YeM3nRW5ffmV_CgQa?dl=0

Man. if I was closer and could see well enough to drive we'd be doing some business.  The 3 626 speaker that you show. when you pull the grill off could you take a picture of that? They would be about $60 each to ship for the R model, lees for the original version. So depending on which  they are it might be worth while. You'd have to test them first though.

wyman

« Reply #1384 on: 17 Mar 2023, 05:38 pm »
I added an additional photo to the dropbox. I would prefer to sell as a lot and to not have to bother with shipping which is why the pricing is so low. If it doesnt move as a lot then I might consider alternatives, but the price would adjust to account for my time and energy. Speaking frankly. I am confident that all of the speakers work, but I haven't run them in about a year and a half.

AVB

« Reply #1385 on: 17 Mar 2023, 05:55 pm »
The two 626 speakers with the black woofer are the standard version. I have no idea what the one with the white woofers is  as I have never seen or even heard of a 626 with white woofers. Not to say they didn't exist but just that it is beyond my knowledge base. If I was close I'd consider them but shipping would kill the deal for me. Thanks for taking the pic!

JakeJ

« Reply #1386 on: 17 Mar 2023, 06:50 pm »
GeorgeAB & AVB,

If there is an extra pair of the Misco LLC62W-8A woofers available count me in on the group buy.

George, if you've asked for a quote you might also consider a quantity of 10 to get the price down and I would commit to 4 units.  Plus selling the remaining drivers you don't want will be a cake walk.  Food for thought.

TIA,
Jake

Jstower

« Reply #1387 on: 17 Mar 2023, 06:58 pm »
That is so very kind of you but this set has the spiral tweeter. They arrived about an hour ago and the one is missing the "wave guide" or grill or whatever you call it on the tweeter. Probably went face down at one point, These spiral tweeter use some kind of one sided sticky material to seal the round tweeter in the rectangular hole. Never having seen the back of a Aurum Cantus G2Si does it have a rectangular body that will fit in the hole with just a round face plate?
Is this what they look like?  The tweeter was dehorned at Vmps .

Aurum Cantus G2Si does it have a rectangular body that will fit in the hole with just a round face plate?  Yes

JakeJ

« Reply #1388 on: 17 Mar 2023, 07:06 pm »
My RM-40's and RM-30's have AC G2si tweeters and my 626r's and LCR Center have spiral tweeters.  Down the road I plan to swap out all the spirals for FST's because to me the G2si tweeter is sweeter, clearer, and more extended.

AVB

« Reply #1389 on: 17 Mar 2023, 07:42 pm »
Is this what they look like?  The tweeter was dehorned at Vmps .

Aurum Cantus G2Si does it have a rectangular body that will fit in the hole with just a round face plate?  Yes

One speaker (the one that doesn't work) matches your "dehorned" pic. The other has the plastic wave guide on it.

AVB

« Reply #1390 on: 17 Mar 2023, 08:06 pm »
So for those of you that have replaced a spiral with an FST what did you use to seal the face plate to the speaker?  I haven't read anything that says it comes with a gasket and the gasket tape I have even at 3/16 thick seems like it still would be too thick.

davidc1

« Reply #1391 on: 17 Mar 2023, 08:17 pm »
Regular silicone cement should work fine.

When I built my original super towers, that's what I used for all the drivers.

AVB

« Reply #1392 on: 17 Mar 2023, 08:31 pm »
Regular silicone cement should work fine.

When I built my original super towers, that's what I used for all the drivers.

I thought of that but thought it might be too much abd naje the faceplate too hard to trmove.  I guess moderation is the key

Jstower

« Reply #1393 on: 17 Mar 2023, 09:31 pm »
AVB , the FST tweeter comes with a black foam gasket already installed.

AVB

« Reply #1394 on: 18 Mar 2023, 12:13 am »
AVB , the FST tweeter comes with a black foam gasket already installed.

Great!  You'd think it would be easy to find that out but I didn't find a word about it. All I have to do now is decide if saving $80 to buy used is worth it or not.

davidc1

« Reply #1395 on: 18 Mar 2023, 12:20 am »
I apologize for butting in with something a bit off topic. But since this discussion is so active maybe somebody will know....
My original super towers came with the JVC ribbon super tweeter. The silver one. Does anybody know what supertweeter came after that, and was there a change in the crossover? I asked because both of them burned up the other day and I need to replace them

AVB

« Reply #1396 on: 18 Mar 2023, 01:16 am »
I apologize for butting in with something a bit off topic. But since this discussion is so active maybe somebody will know....
My original super towers came with the JVC ribbon super tweeter. The silver one. Does anybody know what supertweeter came after that, and was there a change in the crossover? I asked because both of them burned up the other day and I need to replace them

I know the JVC was a JVC HSW1101-01A tweeter but I don't know of any upgrade or replacement for it that was used by VMPS. I'd say that as long as you don't plan to change the crossover point any decent ribbon tweeter that has the same impedance, about the same power rating, frequency response  and fits in the hole will work pretty well. Luckily my pair have not arced and sparked yet but they don't get used much anymore either.

Jstower

« Reply #1397 on: 18 Mar 2023, 02:32 am »
Davidc1, here is link for some tweeters for sale, good luck

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/d/berkeley-jvc-motorola-tweeters/7597147711.html?lang=fi

I personally would try these tweeters

https://www.visaton.de/en/products/drivers/ribbon-tweeters/mht-12-8-ohm
  $214. At Mouser Electronics

Jstower

« Reply #1398 on: 19 Mar 2023, 08:21 pm »
Parts Express coupons expire tonight.

AVB

« Reply #1399 on: 20 Mar 2023, 12:18 pm »
The tweets are on the way! Thanks for the heads up on the coupon,