I GOT KICKED IN THE FACE LAST NIGHT !!!!!!!

werd

« on: 19 Feb 2011, 04:38 pm »
Haha gotchya....

ok i was just wondering why mainstream hasn't jumped on the 96khz or 192khz bandwagon yet?. Is it because their recordings are so ramped up with high rms that their is no room for 96khz so why bother? I would like to know why they don't.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: I GOT KICKED IN THE FACE LAST NIGHT !!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2011, 04:44 pm »
Mainstream is fine with mp3's and listening to their music on ipods, ipads, etc...why would they care at all about the incremental improvement that 24/96 recordings provide?

George

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2011, 04:48 pm »
I'm a recent convert. I've never cared for upsampling but true 24/192 (or 24/anything) is awesome.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2011, 04:49 pm »
Mainstream is fine with mp3's and listening to their music on ipods, ipads, etc...why would they care at all about the incremental improvement that 24/96 recordings provide?

George

Because there is lots of funky stuff that goes on with these mainstream recordings. Like this latest RH, after listening to it i would i think  96khz at the very least would do it justice. There is other mainstream  stuff to that would benefit from this imo. It just powers the fillers and background stuff.

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2011, 12:22 am »

George

I assume you're being facetious in the use of the term "incremental."  Almost all of my non-audiophile friends can even tell the difference between a 256k MP3 and 16/44.1...much less 24/96 or above, depending on what system they're listening to it on. 

The bottom line is that they don't care enough about what the difference brings to the music and their musical experience.  Sad.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2011, 12:24 am »
In fact, many recordings are done in 24 bit raw initially, but are eventually distributed in redbook and Mp3 cuz that's the cheap accessible distribution channel.  With the rental fees, recording fees, etc the profit margin is not there to initially release on anything but the biggest distribution channels.

I am a HUGE hirez fan, run the darn Circle, etc...but am relegated to the fact that music distribution is going the way of iTunes and cheap redbook/cd sales.  It's getting worse, not better, with anyone who has a protools license and a portable digital multichannel mixer getting into the fray.

Yes, it is very important to support any and all hirez distribution, but it will never be anything but a niche market.  And we have to hope that the next gen, our sons and daughters, hear and appreciate what good music sounds like; otherwise quantity (cheap MP3) wins over quality.

Napalm

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2011, 12:32 am »

Haha gotchya....

You mean it didn't actually happen? NP Werd, we can fix that, let us know....

8)

Napalm

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2011, 12:35 am »
ok i was just wondering why mainstream hasn't jumped on the 96khz or 192khz bandwagon yet?. Is it because their recordings are so ramped up with high rms that their is no room for 96khz so why bother? I would like to know why they don't.

Because "mainstream" these days means iTunes and mp3s. Their primary objective is to reduce file size as much as possible.

nap.

kyrill

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2011, 11:02 pm »
plz remember mainstream  NEVER was audiophile. mainstream analogue in the 60-89s was a cheap turntable of 200 $ an Audio Technica or Shure cartridge of 50 dollars and Sherwood receiver or Pioneer in the centre of the setup/ The quality of the LP was ( by chance?) way beyond than what mainstream wanted out of it
but is'n this true for all mainstream? Movies? restaurants? and worst of all TV programs? Have you tasted mainstream beer? Compared it ever to a Belgian Rochefort 10 or Westmalle tripel?

werd

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2011, 11:30 pm »
plz remember mainstream  NEVER was audiophile. mainstream analogue in the 60-89s was a cheap turntable of 200 $ an Audio Technica or Shure cartridge of 50 dollars and Sherwood receiver or Pioneer in the centre of the setup/ The quality of the LP was ( by chance?) way beyond than what mainstream wanted out of it
but is'n this true for all mainstream? Movies? restaurants? and worst of all TV programs? Have you tasted mainstream beer? Compared it ever to a Belgian Rochefort 10 or Westmalle tripel?

The problem exists with what people are led to believe. What people think about hirez is its an audiophile tag. There is another word i don't like ,audiophile, i just want my tunes to sound good with lots of musicality. Why can't mainstream jump on this basic concept instead of categorizing it as a hobby status (audiophile). We are at a point now where we can get huge storage cheap and 2mb dl speed isn't out of this world. WTF just make are music sound better whether its country, polka, hip hop or what ever.

Beer is all about how you slam em back. Sitting at home on the couch a nice room temp belgian or german beer is primo. Get out and about and mainstream beer reigns. They just go back faster.....  :icon_lol:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2011, 11:47 am »
Well, the COST per album for hi rez is way too high. Then the problems of implementation for all us old geezer/geezette audiophiles is a big problem. Getting the computer interface up and running is a big hassle for  the "what use is a cellphone?" crowd.
I am just waiting a bit to take the plunge.
I personally think the cost per album is a big factor. Why rebuy everything anyway? (as if one could?) A lot of folks did that with CD when it came out and a lot swear never again. (including me)
So these are some of the reasons besides no one cares anway as they are happy with the MP3 sound...
Just like BluRay, I have 2,500 movies on DVD and no way am I rebuying ANY of those!)

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2011, 02:36 pm »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2011, 02:55 pm »
If this is true then HiRez could get a huge positive jolt!!
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/22/apple-reportedly-looking-to-offer-24-bit-music-files-in-itunes-store/

Sort of...

If Apple offers 24 bit music, it will certainly help make it more accessible and drive some incremental increase in sales.  However, I still think the overwhelming majority of people won't be willing to spend any additional money on a higher rez version of music.

George

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2011, 02:58 pm »
George, when have we ever cared about the "overwhelming majority"?  :)  HiRez will always be a niche, but as niches go, this would be a nice foundational commitment.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2011, 03:33 pm »
George, when have we ever cared about the "overwhelming majority"?  :)  HiRez will always be a niche, but as niches go, this would be a nice foundational commitment.

I was trying to stay within the context of the thread for a change.   :wink:

I am very happy to see Apple or anybody commit to bringing more higher rez material to the market. 

George

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2011, 03:40 pm »
Yes, and my comment was meant as just a joke (especially due to the nature of the OP's request).