djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
Hi-Rez Opinions Please...
« on: 14 Feb 2011, 12:40 am »
Two of my favorite pieces of classical music are:

Piano Concerto No. 5 in E flat major ("Emperor"), Op. 73
  -- and --
Piano Sonata No. 14 in C sharp minor ("Moonlight"), Op. 27/2

I've been listening to them with this Pope (Redbook CD) release: http://www.amazon.com/Entangled-Devotions-Starkman/dp/B000009LEY, and think it's fantastic.  But now I'm looking for the best sounding hi-rez (SACD or DVD-Audio) version.  Any suggestions?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Hi-Rez Opinions Please...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:36 am »
For whatever reason my posts replies are not working!!!   I typed a whole list of resources for you, but the box says "message body was empty". 

Anyway, search on SA-cd.net and on www(dot)classicstoday.  The former has a search box.  The latter has pull downs for composer, genre, SACD and DVD-A and the ratings are usually spot on.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2011, 02:13 am »

-- and --

I'm looking for the best sounding hi-rez (SACD or DVD-Audio) version.  Any suggestions?

I like the RCA Red Seal SACD of four Arthur Rubinstein performances that includes the "Moonlight" [ 82876-71619-2 ]. Sorry I can't help with the "Emperor."

Napalm

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2011, 03:01 am »
For whatever reason my posts replies are not working!!!   I typed a whole list of resources for you, but the box says "message body was empty". 

n00B!  :lol:

Nap.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2011, 03:23 am »

-- and --

I've been listening to them with this Pope (Redbook CD) release: http://www.amazon.com/Entangled-Devotions-Starkman/dp/B000009LEY, and think it's fantastic.  But now I'm looking for the best sounding hi-rez (SACD or DVD-Audio) version.  Any suggestions?

I have this on CD as well.

The original recordings were done with a Nagra digital recorder at higher than 16bit/44.1KHz.   Have never been able to find anything about the original recordings from Pope Music other than the CD releases.  If you do find something please post it, I would be very interested.

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2011, 03:26 am »
I have this on CD as well.

The original recordings were done with a Nagra digital recorder at higher than 16bit/44.1KHz.   Have never been able to find anything about the original recordings from Pope Music other than the CD releases.  If you do find something please post it, I would be very interested.

Me too...would love to have the original digital of it.