Hi rez file to DVD on a Mac?

Peleg

Hi rez file to DVD on a Mac?
« on: 5 Feb 2011, 04:02 am »
Hi everyone, first post.  I tried using the Search feature but didn't come up w/ anything recent.  I have some 24/96 music files in both FLAC and AIFF that I downloaded from HD Tracks.  My DAC will downsample anything above 16/48 to 16/44.1 on it's USB port.  It will however handle 24/96 via it's coax (SPDIF?).  I'm using an Apple TV as a server and it can only connect to my DAC via the toslink.  So I'm stuck trying to make DVDs and play them on my DVD player and use its digital out to the DAC.  I burned 2 DVDs today, one using the FLAC files and the other using the AIFF files.  They'll play on my iMac but not my DVD player.  So, at last my question, is there any  Mac software that'll allow me to burn these files that'll work on my DVD player and retain the high resolution?  I've tried 2 but they I can't get them to work.  Thanks for you patience w/ my long first post.

Mike Nomad

Re: Hi rez file to DVD on a Mac?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2011, 04:28 am »
First, welcome to AC.

I use Toast to burn 24/96 audio discs on DVD. They are not DVD-A discs. Rather, the audio information is kept in the video folder, allowing the discs to be played on any DVD player. The AIFF tracks should burn straight across. There are a number of freeware applications available to convert FLAC files to AIFF / Wav. I use Max.

Mike

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2011, 05:52 am »
Yes,. the good news is that 24/96 is DVD-Video capable, unlike 24/192 (which needs DVD_Audio authoring, which is a slight PITA)_...so use something like Toast (thanks Mike!!) to burn them to DVD-V and then you should be fine.  All DVD players will play PCM 24/96 via its coax and/or toslink.

rbbert

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2011, 02:55 pm »
Toast will only make DVD-V's with gaps between tracks; selectable intervals, but 1 sec is the smallest.  As discussed in another topic, though, DVD-Audiofile is free and works well on a Mac to create DVD-A (not DVD-V).

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2011, 04:10 pm »
You might also want to buy a HiFace USB adapter. This would allow you to connect to a SPDIF (or BNC) input and play the higher resolution files through your DAC.

Peleg

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2011, 10:28 pm »
First, welcome to AC.

I use Toast to burn 24/96 audio discs on DVD. They are not DVD-A discs. Rather, the audio information is kept in the video folder, allowing the discs to be played on any DVD player. The AIFF tracks should burn straight across. There are a number of freeware applications available to convert FLAC files to AIFF / Wav. I use Max.

Mike

Are you sure it maintains the 24/96 resolution?  I've burned one disc successfully but I really cannot tell the difference between the DVD player using its digital out into my DACs coax input, which supports 24/96 natively, and the same music from my Apple TV, which downgrades to 16/44.1, and into the toslink input of my DAC.  This is very unexpected.  Should there not be a decent improvement in sound using 24/96?  Thanks.

jamesg11

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2011, 08:03 am »
Mike, do you use the video_ts folders menu in toast to drop in aiff files?