M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface

kyrill

Re: M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface
« Reply #240 on: 10 Nov 2010, 05:43 pm »
I dont have my MK2 yet so i experimented a bit with the atenuators on the SB3-->DEQX
The SB3 gives a S/PDIF signal within spec I suppose. never heard anyone or read on the internet that the SB3 gave a higher voltage that needed attenuation
Still i just tried.
I started with the -6dB and to my hoped surprised sound immediately was more fluent, less electronic, more musical. Actually all the advantages that were already described by others. Then I added the -10dB (totlal -16 dB) and the DEQX did not lock on.
Then I tried the -10dB and had music without any hiccup. Velvet like, smooth, very black background but ehh, less dynamic? But certainly too less "attack" and too less highs. First i thought i am too accustomed to "artificial sound", but after longer listening.., no the music lacked definitely "bite" and the upper highs. For the rest it was smooooth, transparent.
But  I switched back to -6dB. Even within spec lesser does lower the reflections under the "awareness" of the dac ( s/pdif receiver) with the added benefits

I think it is system dependent, you have to try out for yourself

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
« Reply #241 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:16 pm »
I dont have my MK2 yet so i experimented a bit with the atenuators on the SB3-->DEQX
The SB3 gives a S/PDIF signal within spec I suppose. never heard anyone or read on the internet that the SB3 gave a higher voltage that needed attenuation
Still i just tried.
I started with the -6dB and to my hoped surprised sound immediately was more fluent, less electronic, more musical. Actually all the advantages that were already described by others. Then I added the -10dB (totlal -16 dB) and the DEQX did not lock on.
Then I tried the -10dB and had music without any hiccup. Velvet like, smooth, very black background but ehh, less dynamic? But certainly too less "attack" and too less highs. First i thought i am too accustomed to "artificial sound", but after longer listening.., no the music lacked definitely "bite" and the upper highs. For the rest it was smooooth, transparent.
But  I switched back to -6dB. Even within spec lesser does lower the reflections under the "awareness" of the dac ( s/pdif receiver) with the added benefits

I think it is system dependent, you have to try out for yourself

Yes, Kyrill,
Others have noted attenuators on the SB3 feeding a Buffalo - 6dB works, 10dB is too much & the Buffalo fails to lock. As you say it is probably cable & DAC dependent - that's why I consider it experimental & there is no prescribed best value.

Sometimes, those sounds that we perceive as attack & dynamics are actually the sounds of jitter - I don't know how the attenuators would cut the high frequencies (but then I'm not fully sure of how the attenuators work - there may be more than one mechanism at play) - they are not frequency dependent!

kyrill

« Reply #242 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:29 pm »
Yes, Kyrill,
Others have noted attenuators on the SB3 feeding a Buffalo - 6dB works, 10dB is too much & the Buffalo fails to lock. As you say it is probably cable & DAC dependent - that's why I consider it experimental & there is no prescribed best value.

Sometimes, those sounds that we perceive as attack & dynamics are actually the sounds of jitter - I don't know how the attenuators would cut the high frequencies (but then I'm not fully sure of how the attenuators work - there may be more than one mechanism at play) - they are not frequency dependent!

That would worry me as a person, i dont want to appreciate non music additions.

That is why I wondered did I get accustomed to euphoric coloration?

I will try -10dB again and listen longer with diverse material

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
« Reply #243 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:31 pm »
Yes, that would be the way to investigate it - longer term listening with different material.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #244 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:04 pm »
I found that the attenuators improved the sound from a Marantz CD5001 CDP as a transport into a AVA Vision DAC. 

kyrill

« Reply #245 on: 12 Nov 2010, 09:48 am »
Well Kenny was right
my first impression of the missing higs with -10dB attenuation so I choose in the end the 6db attenuator was based on false interpretations. I was then mainly listening to Bonnie Prince Billy "I see a Darkness" CD. It is a very subdued  recording with for instance a drummer which has no dynamics at all. S0 -with -10dB it really sounded too soft and the extra highs I enjoyed before were gone. The lack of attacks and dynamics was in fact a lack of "jitter" When i tried the -10dB on other Cd's there were plenty of highs and dynamic but so much better transparency, again more little identities of sound that were before buried in the whole stood out now on their own. The difference between 6dB and 10 db linear is a lot 4times attenuation and 10 times attenuation. the -10dB sounds noticeable better. I hear now details I have not heard before. I am beginning to believe now that the best attenuation is the MAX attenuation that can still have the dac in a stable lock

ddgtr

« Reply #246 on: 12 Nov 2010, 02:59 pm »
Well Kenny was right
my first impression of the missing higs with -10dB attenuation so I choose in the end the 6db attenuator was based on false interpretations. I was then mainly listening to Bonnie Prince Billy "I see a Darkness" CD. It is a very subdued  recording with for instance a drummer which has no dynamics at all. S0 -with -10dB it really sounded too soft and the extra highs I enjoyed before were gone. The lack of attacks and dynamics was in fact a lack of "jitter" When i tried the -10dB on other Cd's there were plenty of highs and dynamic but so much better transparency, again more little identities of sound that were before buried in the whole stood out now on their own. The difference between 6dB and 10 db linear is a lot 4times attenuation and 10 times attenuation. the -10dB sounds noticeable better. I hear now details I have not heard before. I am beginning to believe now that the best attenuation is the MAX attenuation that can still have the dac in a stable lock

I agree.  I too found myself listening to an average recording and making judgments on SQ based on that.  Once I switched to a good recording, everything changed.  I now have a collection of songs which I KNOW are well recorded and use them to evaluate a system.  I only use my bad/average recordings out of curiosity to see the differences...  Unfortunately some of the songs I like are of mediocre quality...

I am still loving my MK1, I have the MK2 on the way!! 

Danny