How do you use your gaming console? (Wii, XBox, PS3)

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
With all the new capabilities for these consoles, what do you find yourself actually doing with them?

Games? Downloading demos? Downloading previews? Surfing the web (to what extent can you do this?) Streaming media?

There are so many possible uses - social networking comes to mind. Some capabilities are not yet a reality but are coming (DVR)

With the 360 I mostly play games. Ocaisionally I will download a movie preview or a game demo. I do plan to buy a few arcade games such as pacman, etc.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: How do you use your gaming console? (Wii, XBox, PS3)
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2007, 12:06 pm »
XBox 360:

Used for DVD playback in home theater room, Gaming, and as the MCE Extender for audio playback from PC (connected wired ethernet via Cat6).
Since dial-up is the only available connection in my area, I'm not using the machine to it's fullest potential. So the "LIVE" stuff, web, peer-to-peer, is out of the question.  :cry:

When used as MCE Extender, it BLOWS. "Buggy" software, has hard time finding the PC most of the time.  :scratch:
Excellent DVD player though. Very happy with audio and video playback quality.
Graphics for gaming are spectacular.

Bob

Rashiki

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2007, 07:12 pm »
I have a PS3 which I use primarily as a Blu-Ray player. I've also been using it as an upscaling DVD player ever since I got my 1080p plasma about a month ago. I have played a couple of old PS2 games on it and downloaded a few of the free demos, but have not yet bought a PS3 game. I've also tried to use it as a media extender ever since they released the firmware update that allowed it to connect to DLNA servers, but I found that it didn't work with all of my recordings. I have a SageTV setup with a HD Homerun, and the PS3 would play less than half of my HD recordings. Some would play video only, some sound only. In the meantime, I've bought a better graphics card for my PC and now connect it directly to the plasma over HDMI.

-Rob

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2007, 08:25 pm »
I use mine- Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS- to play games.  I do upload some pictures on the Wii and have done online gaming on both systems.

Woodsea

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2007, 08:56 pm »
I play games sporadically on my original xbox and now my psp since I am stuck on the last boss on Puzzle Quest.  Now waiting for a my copy of crush to arrive.
My 2 older kids love their DS'. 

lord_glum

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2007, 05:07 pm »
games games and more games...mostly multiplayer shooters

PS3
Movies movies and more movies.  Sound is awsome and up-conversion is not too shabby.

Wii
Party game staion.  when the family is over we play this.  good for the kids and a little cardio.

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2007, 06:55 pm »
I use mine mostly for dust storage.  :oops:  One day I should really buy a new game for my (old model) Xbox.  I have only three games for it; Doom and two Oddworld games. Doom makes me nauseas, so that one doesn't get played much and the others I've played and replayed to death.  I'm just glad it still works, because for awhile I thought it was toast, the video went dead and then lights started flashing and it wouln't power up, but after a few months I plugged it back in and it worked again.  Didn't even do a technical tap!  Nice.  Gotta love self-fixing problems!

nicksgem10s

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2007, 07:13 pm »
PS3 - Bluray player and upconverting player for SD dvds.  It is an awesome machine and I love that they keep releasing improvements that are easily downloaded directly to the PS3. 

I sold my Oppo dvd player when they did the firmware for the upconversion of SD dvds.  It is one of the true values in home entertainment today. 

Bluray on my Mits HC3000U projector is pretty incredible at 106"  :thumb:

Nick

jonwb

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2007, 08:29 pm »
We have a Wii that my daugther (sometimes w/ me) uses for games. 

One thing that is kinda cool is running my SqueezeBox off the built-in internet browser.

Xi-Trum

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2008, 04:55 pm »
I use all my consoles (Dreamcast, Wii, X360) for games and nothing else.

On the handheld front, I use the PSP for other purposes, like watch TV remotely, GPS navigation, etc.