Nick77

Re: Song3 upgrade to A it BeAT
« Reply #21 on: 26 Mar 2019, 10:16 am »
Beautiful!! How do they sound?   :popcorn:

Congrats!

MiamiAngler

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2019, 06:33 pm »
I could not be happier!  I did a marathon listening last night, they are amazing!

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2019, 08:18 pm »
Those look great. Is that a dyed maple finish? Is that midrange really 4"? It looks bigger. Maybe due to the larger dust cap. What's the rest of the system?

MiamiAngler

« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2019, 09:45 pm »
These are a pair that Jim was building for himself, I had a pair of Song3 ordered and I called Jim to discuss upgrading to either Song3A or Song 3 BeATs.   Jim decided to upgrade to SS 9.5s, so I called at a good time.   The finish is rotary cut Mahogany, my pics don’t do them justice.  So I guess I have bragging rights to what Jim calls his  “personal pair of Song3 BeAT’s”.

They are powered by a 150 watt Krell amp, I recently got a NAD C658 that I have been using for streaming and is currently performing as a preamp.   I have a couple of other preamps I will hooking up to see if they improve the sound.    I have read some negative fourum  posts on the NAD unit but it has performed very well for me.  I’m using Audioquest Mackenzie XLR cables and Douglas Connections 11 gauge speaker cables.

This is the first time I have bought speakers without hearing them, but because of the reviews and members here I felt  they would be great.   I was not disappointed.

MiamiAngler

« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2019, 10:59 pm »
The midrange  is 5 inches

Kyhl

Re: Song3 upgrade to A or BeATs
« Reply #26 on: 1 Apr 2019, 04:02 pm »
I didn't realize the BeATs used a 5" mid.  I've always found something special in a larger mid driver.  This may push me over the end to make a purchase.

MiamiAngler

Re: Song3 upgrade to A or BeATs
« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2019, 01:31 am »
I upgraded my preamp to a Krell KRC -2,  these speakers just keep sounding better and better.   The mahogany veneerer really lights up when the light hits them.