Anthem STR Preamp

Mike-48

Anthem STR Preamp
« on: 23 Apr 2018, 05:52 am »
Anyone here heard the Anthem STR preamp?  It seems like a very flexible unit, with crossover for stereo subs and Anthem room correction.   If you've heard it, I'd be interested in your impressions.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Anthem STR Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2018, 10:29 am »
Wonder how it compares to the $4,000 USD DSPeaker X4?

(I own the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core, $800 street price, and am quite satisfied with it.)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2018, 10:40 am »
I haven’t heard it.

But here is another option for you to consider:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/hi-fi-preamplifiers/products/hpa4?utm_source=Benchmark%27s+Application+Notes&utm_campaign=b679e01ca0-EMAIL_app+note+11-20-17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7c8c792ee5-b679e01ca0-198223093&variant=1589954805780

But no integrated crossover functions offered. The summed mono XLR is a plus if your 2ch recordings are mostly non-classical, although most of the spatial differences in the midbass arise from your mains which are stereo anyway.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2018, 01:21 pm by poseidonsvoice »

Mike-48

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2018, 05:02 pm »
Thanks, guys. I just found out that a local shop is an Anthem dealer, so I may take first steps.

The DSPeaker unit has been on my radar, but it seems difficult to find a dealer. I am waiting for reports from another audiophile correspondent who's had one on order for a long time, but he can't seem to get delivery (though he prepaid!). No reflection on the product, but based on my own unanswered email inquiries and his troubles, I would not look forward to doing business with the DSPeaker importer.

A confession: I love the Anthem's looks. Obviously, such love goes sour quickly if sound quality isn't up to par. And I should add, the Classe I'm using isn't bad, so I've got to be cautious.

I hadn't known about the Benchmark. I'm sure it's an excellent unit, but -- am I missing something? -- it lacks EQ (manual or automatic), and I would like to stay with stereo subs. About 90% of my listening is classical, including many downloaded BIS releases with good sound and ambiance. My well-sealed basement room is unworkable without subs and EQ in the bass.

Mike

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2018, 08:39 pm »
Mike,

My bad, you're not missing anything with the Benchmark. It's just a damn good pre with extra balanced outputs which I like. I don't know how good the Anthem's pre section is in all honesty.

It would be nice to integrate everything and not lose fidelity but so far I have found that one needs to use:

1) An excellent pre (in my case a TAPX)
2) An excellent DSP box, like a modified Behringer DCX2496,or miniDSP, Xilica, etc...

The other option is to do all the manipulations digitally ahead of the pre like use AudioLense with a  multichannel dac but that assumes pretty much active for crossovers for both the mains and subs. Might get too complicated.

When companies try to integrate DSP into the pre (even high end AVP's), the ones that sound good are extraordinarily expensive (like $10K+).

Let us know about your audition with the Anthem, my curiosity is peaked!

Best,
Anand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2018, 12:45 am »
While ARC is tempting in the STR I don't think the dac in it is very good. If you bypass the internal dac you bypass the ARC per the Paradigm folks at Axpona. I think the Personas could have sounded much better and better gear than the Anthem gear (which they own).

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2018, 01:45 am »
Mike

Have you looked into the Legacy Audio Wavelet as it may do what you are looking for in terms of DAC, Preamp, crossover and room correction.

https://www.dagogo.com/legacy-audio-wavelet-review/

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2018, 01:49 am »
Mike

Have you looked into the Legacy Audio Wavelet as it may do what you are looking for in terms of DAC, Preamp, crossover and room correction.

https://www.dagogo.com/legacy-audio-wavelet-review/

Forgot about that! A very nice consideration from the smart mind of Bill Dudleston.

Best,
Anand.

JackD

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2018, 02:34 am »
Anand

Gayle Sanders (formerly of ML) is using the same unit with his new speaker line with his nameplate on it. 

http://eikonaudio.com/

Mike-48

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2018, 07:03 am »
Thanks for the recommendation to look into the Wavelet!

Mike-48

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2018, 04:17 pm »
I looked into the Wavelet, and I found one thing about it disturbing. The user measures, then the data are sent off over the Internet to a server that computes the proprietary correction, which then is downloaded into the Wavelet.

This means that a Wavelet owner is dependent on the goodwill of the sellers to provide the computing service for the indefinite future. As appealing as the reviews have been, I'd rather own a product that's complete in itself and doesn't rely on an outside server to be functional.

Am I missing something?

Mike-48

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2019, 08:27 pm »
If anyone's still interested in this thread:

I'm auditioning the Anthem STR Pre now. Setting up ARC was easy, and its results -- judged after only a few hours' listening -- seem superior to what I ever achieved with the TacT 2.2X or manual methods (Weiss EQ1, Classé CP-800, Audient ASP-231).

It will take more listening to get the full measure of the product. I look forward to it.

Sparks

« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2019, 08:35 pm »
I have been very interested in this pre-amp as I own 2 Anthem D-2s and have been very happy with them.
Strangely reviews of the pre-amp\amp were nowhere until just recently.
Audioholics did an exhaustive review & Secrets just published a less extensive one.
There was also another site that did a review quite some time ago but I don't recall the name.

Mike, I live in the Seattle area and am planning a trip in the near future to PLand.
What dealer there carries the Anthem?

I'm sure they mentioned that the STR will be compatible with the upcoming ARC-3 or Genesis.
Supposed to be a quantum leap.

Please let us know about your experience.
Thanks!

Mike-48

« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2019, 09:46 pm »
Hi Sparks (Steve?), 

Fred's Sound of Music (on SE Hawthorne Blvd) carries Anthem. They have the STR integrated, but not the STR preamplifier, in stock.

I was interested in the preamp and went to talk to them. With a little prompting, they offered terms similar to what one gets online from Crutchfield (fast delivery, extended evaluation period).

When your plans to visit PDX firm up, drop me a PM if you'd like an audition here.

Sparks

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2019, 02:23 am »
Thanks for the offer, Mike.
If it works out I'll PM you.
Please keep us updated.
The STR is a unique product, imo, & highly desirable to me.

Mike-48

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2019, 05:08 pm »
There seems to be more coverage of Anthem's STR Preamp in the AVS Forums . . . my comments are over there, in a thread about Genesis, Anthem's update to its ARC system.  My main comment is here, but there are a few more before and after and in another thread.

Short version: I find ARC2 to be a very fine implementation of DRC, in a very nice preamp. It avoids the slight hardening of the sound I've heard with other DSP systems. As of now, I expect to keep it.

Compared to some other DRC systems (e.g., DSPeaker) there are fewer knobs to twiddle on the Anthem STR. That suits my situation fine; it may not suit others. I think "try before you buy" is especially crucial for any DRC product.

Mike-48

« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2019, 12:46 am »
I though I'd sum up my experience with the STR Preamplifier so far. In my system, in a difficult room, I've gotten better sound using the STR than I've ever had before. Moreover, it is excellent in absolute terms.
Those are my opinions and those of a couple of fellow audiophiles who've heard my system through many iterations. One fellow owns a pair of Avalon Isis and uses Threshold gear; the other is an audio designer, DSP aficionado, and DIY speaker maven. They were both told I wanted an honest opinion, as I was under no obligation to keep the unit. They both loved it.
What I notice is:
  • Excellent imaging and soundstaging
  • Seamless integration of stereo subs, with no localization, even though they are behind the listener
  • Even bass
  • Excellent tonality, with a beautiful midrange
  • A useful and easily accessed feature set
My one mild reservation is no easy way to boost the warmth range (around 250-600 Hz) when listening to string-quartet recordings, many of which are recorded in top-heavy sound. However, the STR's treble and bass controls go a long way, and I'm told that ARC  Genesis (its next iteration), available next month, will allow user target curves, which should wipe out that reservation.
In my previous post, I expected to keep the unit. That probability keeps increasing.

Mike-48

« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2019, 10:58 pm »
I'm curious if there are any other STR users reading this.

richidoo

« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2020, 07:51 pm »
Hi Mike
I'm thinking about giving this preamp a try. Thanks for posting your opinions.

Did you install Genesis ARC?

Do you know if it can connect to a Linux USB like RPi?

Thanks
Rich

Mike-48

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2020, 03:08 am »
I'm thinking about giving this preamp a try. Thanks for posting your opinions.

Did you install Genesis ARC?

Do you know if it can connect to a Linux USB like RPi?

Rich--  Yes, I am using ARC Genesis. The added control of target curves is very welcome. I am still happy with the STR. There are a few minor bugs in the software, but Anthem is chipping away at them.

One thing I love about it is the digital tone controls, which are really transparent and can be operated on the fly. Not every DSP-enabled preamp has those. The clear display screen and logical menu system also are pluses. Finally, the bass management (level matching and automatic custom crossovers) are excellent, if you will be using it with subs. I do use ARC, but even when I turn it off, much of the bass trouble in my room has already been fixed by the bass management features.

Regarding USB, you mean a RPi streamer with USB output? I have not tried that, but I have used two Auralic streamers with USB output. I've used USB from my Windows computer. It works fine with those, so I don't see why it would be different with output from an RPi. (It also works fine with SPDIF from a RPi3 with Allo DigiOne card.)

Does that help?