Recommendation for $4000 USD or lower high quality turntable

undertowogt1

Re: Recommendation for $4000 USD or lower high quality turntable
« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2019, 08:44 pm »
Have you listen to the new Rega Planar 8 with the Apheta 2 ??
I have not, but it look pretty cool. Have you heard it?

PierreB

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2019, 11:46 pm »
I have not, but it look pretty cool. Have you heard it?
Yes, I have one. A great upgrade from my P3-24 with the Exact2.
The Apheta2 needs at least 40 houres to really « shine ».

viggen

« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2019, 03:35 am »
https://www.originlive.com/hi-fi/turntable-record-player/turntable-aurora/

highly highly recommend you get the balanced transformer.

jibzilla

« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2019, 05:12 am »
The Pioneer Exclusive line are great tables. But both the P3 and the PL70 are very hard to come by in North America.  I have looked at Japanese auction sites, but never overcame my reluctance to buy overseas, in a foreign language and different culture. 
The Victor TT-81 (or JVC QL-8 with plinth and arm) are almost in that quality range, and the Technics SP-10 MKii is comparable.  I'd look at recapping any of these DD vintage tables as the electrolytics are getting pretty old.  So figure an extra couple of hundred added to the price.

I totally get the reluctance but my experience with buying from Japan is 10 out of 10 when you find the right seller. You kind of have to dig to find hakana 113 and a couple others but once you do you will be blown away by the condition, packaging, and shipping and the photo's, wait till you see the pictures. The biggest factor is shipping weight. Anything over 30kg. and it is outrageous shipping.

For items like speakers and power amps you are stuck with hifido.jp and even then the shipping price doubles at 30. Usually $200 right at 30kg. and $400 over 30kg. yahoo.jp it is $200 right at 30kg. and $1600 over 30kg. hifido.jp is still pretty good but not quite as good as a select few sellers on yahoo.jp.

Another thing that I think causes reluctance is the 100 volt transformer. Acupwr has changed that in that last few years. Now you can get a low profile, high quality transformer and not break the bank. For something like a high quality record player just their cheapest model will do.

My whole setup is now 1980's Japan mostly.

Pioneer pl-70lii
Technics sl-p1300
Sony das r1
Sansui C-2301, not a good MM phono, but a to die for lomc, momc, and rare homc section phono pre.
Sony se-p900
Sony st-j88b
Sony ta-n902 with a Technics se-a100 for backup or visa versa, they are both tremendous
Sony apm-4 (pair)
Denon dl-110
Audio Technica at-30he

Non Japan or 1980's

Schiit eitr
Ecp dsha 2
Mjolnir Octave v2
Sennheiser hd-800
Stax sr-404le Still Japan, just 2009, and only 2009
Dynavector 20x2H Japan as well
Nitty Gritty 1.0

These 18 components set me back about $13k, and that is just a guess, so quite a budget stretch, but it took me many years to do this. I am a huge believer that you can do some serious damage with $4k and less. In particular with Sausui integrated and preamps that are usually only in Japan and pioneer and micro seiki direct drive record player's and micro seiki belt drive record players that are also usually only in Japan.

spence

« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2019, 11:56 am »
I have the MoFi Ultradeck, and I can tell you it's very enjoyable to listen to. You can find more of what I said about it over on the Audiokarma forums.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #25 on: 18 Mar 2019, 12:21 pm »
After 4 decades with a Thorens TD165 I actually though sounded great. I recently purchased a Dr. Feickert Analog Volare with an Origin Silver tone arm and I have a Hana SL mounted. I had the Hana on the Thorens previously and the difference with it on the Feickert is stunning. Just be sure you have a sturdy stand because the Feickert weighs a ton. I could recommend a dealer that was over the top with the purchase if you're interested.

undertowogt1

« Reply #26 on: 18 Mar 2019, 05:49 pm »
After 4 decades with a Thorens TD165 I actually though sounded great. I recently purchased a Dr. Feickert Analog Volare with an Origin Silver tone arm and I have a Hana SL mounted. I had the Hana on the Thorens previously and the difference with it on the Feickert is stunning. Just be sure you have a sturdy stand because the Feickert weighs a ton. I could recommend a dealer that was over the top with the purchase if you're interested.

I do like the look of those tables and was looking into them. I am bit surprised no one has pushed the the VPI Prime. So is that table / Arm all hype or is it still a contender in this category.

tonyptony

« Reply #27 on: 18 Mar 2019, 06:38 pm »
IMO VPI tables - the Prime, Prime Sig, Classic 3, and above, can compete with others in this range. I have a Classic 3 and an Avenger and have no interest in looking at anything else. They both make good music and will not be the thing holding other parts of your vinyl system back.

jeromesabbagh

« Reply #28 on: 18 Mar 2019, 07:59 pm »
I have a Garrard 401 that I love. Granted, it's in a plinth by Bill Dobbins, which could push the price over that but you can get a good plinth for not an absurd amount of money. The turntable needs to be revised but I think it sounds great and is great value, still.

twitch54

« Reply #29 on: 19 Mar 2019, 12:55 pm »
I would select two, a top current Technics SL1200 and a belt drive WTL.

love the new Technics, with a msrp of 4k I've seen it at priced new 15-17% off retail.

roscoeiii

« Reply #30 on: 19 Mar 2019, 01:12 pm »
love the new Technics, with a msrp of 4k I've seen it at priced new 15-17% off retail.

Another good suggestion.

ricmon

« Reply #31 on: 19 Mar 2019, 03:44 pm »
At that price point I highly recommend my current table the VPI PRIME  :notworthy:

https://www.vpiindustries.com/prime

Ric

Luxmancl38

« Reply #32 on: 20 Mar 2019, 01:03 am »
Two suggestions the EAT C-Sharp. If you ask for the EAT w/the white trim you'll get the TT w/the JOS No5 cart for just $3500. EAT made just 100 white trim TT's on a special order that was cancelled so they are selling them off at a special price. I own a Luxman PD-171A TT which is out of your price range however Luxman just released the PD-151 a 3 speed TT w/arm for $3800. Build is very similar to my TT. Worth checking out. :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #33 on: 20 Mar 2019, 02:09 am »
Before every $4000 turntable made gets listed, is there any table the OP should avoid?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #34 on: 20 Mar 2019, 02:40 am »
Some like dual speed, not me also disc plate without rpm marking is a poor looks as this:

undertowogt1

« Reply #35 on: 20 Mar 2019, 04:03 am »
Before every $4000 turntable made gets listed, is there any table the OP should avoid?
ya good Idea. maybe that would have been a better question. thanks all or the reply so far, I have been doing a lot of googling on your suggestions

johnto

« Reply #36 on: 20 Mar 2019, 11:51 am »
I would go with a good VPI table but be sure to go with a great cartridge and preamp or you aren't going to hear much of an improvement. Also the amp and speakers play a critical role in what the soind is like.

ricmon

« Reply #37 on: 20 Mar 2019, 04:46 pm »
I would go with a good VPI table but be sure to go with a great cartridge and preamp or you aren't going to hear much of an improvement. Also the amp and speakers play a critical role in what the soind is like.

I use a Hana SL MC on my Prime....makes pretty good music.

Ric

hogzilla

« Reply #38 on: 20 Mar 2019, 09:51 pm »
I went vintage and have a Thorens TD124 with Ortofon plinth, SME 3012 S2 and Shure V15 Type Vmr and it is all around $3000+/-. I can't imaging giving it up. It sounds wonderful and looks beautiful.

jibzilla

« Reply #39 on: 20 Mar 2019, 10:24 pm »
ya good Idea. maybe that would have been a better question. thanks all or the reply so far, I have been doing a lot of googling on your suggestions

Just me but anything that is not pioneer or micro direct drive and micro belt drive record player should be avoided. You really can not beat these record players for the money, and what you are wanting to spend makes the shipping and step down transformer worth it and then some. Maybe Thorens. They are pretty amazing sounding as well. You also get the most amazing packaging and for record players that is so important.

I checked out hakana 113 recently. He has a micro bl-99v/rp99v and audiocraft ac-3000 for sale that would total $3k with shipping, maybe a bit more. To me that is end game record player on top of endgame tonearm. I would def. be jealous of that. The ac-3000 comes in its original packaging.