Optical to RCA Adapters

Don_S

Optical to RCA Adapters
« on: 6 Aug 2018, 05:40 pm »
Any experience with optical to analog (RCA) adapters like this one?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-optical-coaxial-digital-to-analog-converter-black/4226000.p?skuId=4226000

My new LG OLED TV only has optical out for audio. If I convert that signal to analog RCA it allows me to use any of my existing or future preamplifiers or integrated amplifiers in my 2-channel audio/2-channel video system. I have a good 2-channel system that I use for both. I am not a big video fan so I do not care about absolute performance on the audio portion or multiple surround speakers placed in the wrong locations.  :nono:  I just don't want a lot of degradation into muffled performance.  I am amazed at how many TV shows are poorly recorded and hard to understand.  Some movies too.

For example, "Nightly Business Report" is excellent.  "Elementary" is possibly the worst recorded show I watch. Part of it is the actor's voices but a lot of it is the recording.

Thank you for any information.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Optical to RCA Adapters
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2018, 05:52 pm »
All it is doing is what a DAC does. Just dirt cheap.
Also you can not use an audio DAC for the purpose. The Digital TV signal from the TV is a 5.1 type. no compatibility with a two channel DAC.
You need a type of DAC used in a multi channel receiver, and a receiver which can convert it to a TWO Channel sort of RCA out. Plenty of them around. Find some used one with that particular feature. Which is Toslink in 5.1 Dolby THX with a two channel output available.

The device you linked to IS NO GOOD for TV to two channel.
The cheapest way is to buy a used cheap receiver and use it just to do the thing you want. Though you would have to make sure it can turn 5.1 from a Toslink into two channel BEFORE you buy it.
Older, PRE HDMI ones are more likey to be able to and be dirt cheap since they have no HDMI

youravhandyman

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2018, 06:18 pm »
Don,
You will find that the problem is the capability of the optical to analog converter that you are using.  The TV is outputting 5.1 Dolby Digital on the optical so unless the converter that you are using specifically says that it handles Dolby Digital, you may have problems Like Elizabeth said.  If you need specific model numbers or help finding the correct model send me an email.  Hope this helps.

Matt

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2018, 06:27 pm »
I am confused.  :scratch: I have my TV optical output set to PCM and it works fine on a 2-channel integrated I have that has an optical digital input. I do not understand why the adapter I referenced would not work since the specified input is PCM via optical cable.

I want to swap that integrated for an integrated with only analog in.  I also want to try my tube preamplifier with separate amp on the same system.  My main objective is optimizing audio performance for music playback. That is the reason for the equipment swapping. But hooking up the TV audio is also necessary.

I was using an Integra HT receiver HDMI in and RCA out but it stopped passing video to my TV.  Good riddance.  I replaced it with a small HDMI switch.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2018, 07:15 pm »
OK . vast majority of TVs do NOT convert to two channel. But yours does. So forget EVERYTHING I wrote. If it is converting to PCM then yes that is two channel digital.
Sorry for the confusion.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2018, 07:19 pm »
Any experience with optical to analog (RCA) adapters like this one?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-optical-coaxial-digital-to-analog-converter-black/4226000.p?skuId=4226000

My new LG OLED TV only has optical out for audio. If I convert that signal to analog RCA it allows me to use any of my existing or future preamplifiers or integrated amplifiers in my 2-channel audio/2-channel video system. I have a good 2-channel system that I use for both. I am not a big video fan so I do not care about absolute performance on the audio portion or multiple surround speakers placed in the wrong locations.  :nono:  I just don't want a lot of degradation into muffled performance.  I am amazed at how many TV shows are poorly recorded and hard to understand.  Some movies too.

For example, "Nightly Business Report" is excellent.  "Elementary" is possibly the worst recorded show I watch. Part of it is the actor's voices but a lot of it is the recording.

Thank you for any information.

Just chiming in to say that Elementary is one of the worst shows out there, audio wise.  Good lord someone turned down the mids/highs so everything sounds overly bassy and all the actors sound like they are mumbling. 

youravhandyman

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2018, 03:27 pm »
Don,

My example would be this:  https://www.amazon.com/Gefen-Digital-Audio-Decoder-GTV-DD-2-AA/dp/B0021QBIBQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533741776&sr=8-2&keywords=gefen+digital+to+analog+audio+converter
I have used this specific converter in the past to convert the output from a Samsung TV to analog audio.  I tried the non-DD version and only got occasional output from the converter such as what you describe.   Your TV converting to PCM does not mean that it is not Dolby Digital in PCM.  I don't think you need to spend this much but you would be better served to get a converter with similar capability.

Matt

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2018, 05:44 pm »
Thanks for the information and suggestions.

I just ordered this one because it fits my budget for that project, is compact, and has a high rating.  I do not want to get a lot of money invested in just the TV audio. The two-channel integrated with DAC I am now using has no problem decoding my TV optical digital signal.  So this device should let me insert any of my analog-only preamplifiers or integrated amplifiers into my audio/video system. Both are two-channel only.

I will report my findings.  Stay tuned.  :popcorn:

https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533749809&sr=8-2&keywords=fiio+d3