AVP-18

John Casler

Re: AVP-18
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2013, 12:06 am »
Hi John,

how does the AVP18 processor compares sonically to P20 or the P9 analogue preamps? Regarless of bass management, it seems a processor for two chanel is a no for hifi.

Hi Ricardo,

While one cannot expect a $1095 PrePro to have the same 2 channel sound of the P-20 ($5000), I can say it is much closer than you might imagine from the price difference.  In fact the Design of the Volume Control is basically the same for the 2 channel section of the AVP-18 and P-20.

John Casler

New AVP-18 article in the Dutch Quality Hi Fi
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jul 2013, 12:13 am »

For those looking for AVP-18 info, here is an article published today that adds more information.

It is on a Dutch Site, but you can ask your browser to tranlsate it to read it in English.

LOOK HERE

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 23 Jul 2013, 06:34 pm »
Does anyone have the dimensions? The website unhelpfully says "17"

Also, the most unique feature for me is the digital out--I like the option of sending it to a higher end DAC or DSP. I assume it sends two channels to the digital out? If so, could it send the other channels to the existing preouts?

The SPDIF copies the Front L/R channel, however there is a special mode that will 'down-mix' the surround movie info into the SPDIF output, where it can worked with Nuforce Headphone/DAC/Amp for ultimate headphone listening experience.

John Casler

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jul 2013, 08:33 pm »
Does anyone have the dimensions? The website unhelpfully says "17"

The AVP-18 is  17" w X 13" d X 3.25" H

RickyDeg

« Reply #24 on: 6 Aug 2013, 04:53 pm »
This is intended for Mr John Casler.

I'm new to this forum after searching for threads on the AVP-18 (they are pretty limited so far). The other day I placed my order for the AVP-18 processor and the MCH-300XSEC7 high-end multichannel amp (installer version). Upgrading from a Denon receiver (2009 model) and returning to separates again for the first time in 12 years this is bound to be a killer kombo, I'm hoping, taking my speaker system to new heights.

I have a question about a feature that is important to me, relating to the possibility of independent and/or on-the-fly speaker level adjustments - is that a possibility on this processor? Or are those settings always global and affect all inputs and all soundfields? For example, when playing Blu-ray I may wish one particular level setting on the center channel and surround channels, but another when watching HDTV through a different input. This is an extremely useful feature, one that many processors sadly omit these days.

Kiwi2

« Reply #25 on: 15 Aug 2013, 09:19 pm »
I have a question in regards to one of the suppose features of the AVP-18..

"Front channel bi-amplification capability"

...But from looking at the reviews online I haven't seen any other mention of that.  Only bass management options in the menu screens.  Could someone confirm high past low pass crossover adjustability for the front speakers? And what extra channels will the active crossovers be sent out on?

John Casler

« Reply #26 on: 16 Aug 2013, 08:53 pm »
This is intended for Mr John Casler.

I'm new to this forum after searching for threads on the AVP-18 (they are pretty limited so far). The other day I placed my order for the AVP-18 processor and the MCH-300XSEC7 high-end multichannel amp (installer version). Upgrading from a Denon receiver (2009 model) and returning to separates again for the first time in 12 years this is bound to be a killer kombo, I'm hoping, taking my speaker system to new heights.

I have a question about a feature that is important to me, relating to the possibility of independent and/or on-the-fly speaker level adjustments - is that a possibility on this processor? Or are those settings always global and affect all inputs and all soundfields? For example, when playing Blu-ray I may wish one particular level setting on the center channel and surround channels, but another when watching HDTV through a different input. This is an extremely useful feature, one that many processors sadly omit these days.

Hi Ricky,

Sorry, I didn't get notified of this question by the normal e-mail :duh:

Those settings are "global" and do affect all soundfields.

However, you have several PEQ settings that can be saved, where you could boost the Center Channel only on all bands as needed, and simply select it when you use that specific input.  So PEQ 1 could be Bluray, and PEQ 2 could be HDTV, PEQ 3 could be another input.

It is easy to change to any of the PEQ settings from the remote.

I think I may have not thought of this when I responded to you on AVS, so I will also go there and mention how this can be accomplished.

Hope that helps.

John Casler

« Reply #27 on: 16 Aug 2013, 09:05 pm »
I have a question in regards to one of the suppose features of the AVP-18..

"Front channel bi-amplification capability"

...But from looking at the reviews online I haven't seen any other mention of that.  Only bass management options in the menu screens.  Could someone confirm high past low pass crossover adjustability for the front speakers? And what extra channels will the active crossovers be sent out on?

Hi Kiwi,

While I have not explored this, I believe you can set the unit to have FRONT HEIGHT channels, which will route the L&R Mains information to those OUTPUTS (those outputs being the REAR Channels, so you sacrifice 7.1)

However for simplicities sake, you would be better off simply connecting a Y-Connector to the Main L&R and using two amps.

I believe the new firmware may even eliminate the XO function as it was originally designed for a limited speaker application.

If you are looking for the AVP-18 to serve as a XO function for your main speakers, I might suggest that it is limited in that aspect.

Kiwi2

« Reply #28 on: 16 Aug 2013, 09:46 pm »
I believe the new firmware may even eliminate the XO function as it was originally designed for a limited speaker application.

If you are looking for the AVP-18 to serve as a XO function for your main speakers, I might suggest that it is limited in that aspect.

Thanks.  I thought "Digital crossover filters with selectable slopes for bi-amplification of speakers" listed on some site's specifications list was too good to be true and hence why I am trying to make sure first before purchasing. 

I already have two NuForce STA-100 amps in a passive bi-amp configuration and was hoping to take it to the next level with digital crossovers. 

RickyDeg

« Reply #29 on: 17 Aug 2013, 06:30 pm »
Hi Ricky,

Sorry, I didn't get notified of this question by the normal e-mail :duh:

Those settings are "global" and do affect all soundfields.

However, you have several PEQ settings that can be saved, where you could boost the Center Channel only on all bands as needed, and simply select it when you use that specific input.  So PEQ 1 could be Bluray, and PEQ 2 could be HDTV, PEQ 3 could be another input.

It is easy to change to any of the PEQ settings from the remote.

I think I may have not thought of this when I responded to you on AVS, so I will also go there and mention how this can be accomplished.

Hope that helps.

Hello John, and thank you! I was not aware that was you on AVS! As you may have seen there I just got my NuForce duo set up yesterday. Seems the MCH-300XSEC7 is in dire need of serious break-in as the sound is promising but is very much holding back right-out-of-the-box. It's had some 26 hours of play so far, but I reckon that ain't enough.

I've noticed the speaker channel levels are unfortunately global on the AVP-18, so thank you for the tip in regards to the PEQ settings - but I cannot see where to tailor channel levels, only the EQ, or am I missing something here? hehe

John Casler

« Reply #30 on: 19 Aug 2013, 02:34 am »
Hi Ricky,

Yes, I would put about 150 hours on both units and then get serious.  Some even report 200 :o

Regarding the PEQ;  While not a perfect solution (and I haven't tried it) you would want to raise the 11 bands of equalization for the CENTER Channel Only.  Adjust all 11 bands upward, using the broadest Q setting available. 

Again, I haven't tried this, but it should allow you to boost the Center Channel Bands and save that setting.  Then select that setting when you use the input you wanted it to adjust.

RickyDeg

« Reply #31 on: 19 Aug 2013, 10:35 am »
Hi Ricky,

Yes, I would put about 150 hours on both units and then get serious.  Some even report 200 :o

Regarding the PEQ;  While not a perfect solution (and I haven't tried it) you would want to raise the 11 bands of equalization for the CENTER Channel Only.  Adjust all 11 bands upward, using the broadest Q setting available. 

Again, I haven't tried this, but it should allow you to boost the Center Channel Bands and save that setting.  Then select that setting when you use the input you wanted it to adjust.

Hello again John! Thank you for the tip!

150/200 hours of break-in :o Oh, but I'm so impatient! :green: Fact is the duo is slowly starting to sound a little better after 50+ hours now. I played "Prometheus" on Blu-ray last night (flawed movie - great visuals & soundtrack!) and was staggered at the detail and size of the soundstage! I was impressed! Continuing to listen with exitement!

John Casler

« Reply #32 on: 14 Sep 2013, 09:14 pm »
Ricky now has a great review on the AVP-18 HERE

RickyDeg

« Reply #33 on: 15 Sep 2013, 07:29 am »
John, there is a new firmware update on NuForce website in regards to what NuForce calls "microphone calibration" - do you know more specifically what it does? One needs a new program software I think, right (?) and the serial number of the microphone itself in order to do this. Problem is I find no serialnumber on my microphone, or the box it came in.

John Casler

« Reply #34 on: 15 Sep 2013, 04:02 pm »
Hi Ricky,

We just received a note on that. 

It is for a highly calibrated mike that is now being tested, and not yet available, so the download was put up prematurely.

While the current mike is better than most other mikes, NuFORCE is now testing these "calibrated" mikes to push the envelope of AutoEQ.

This would probably be an "after market" mike for the most fastidious users, since the present mike is actually excellent.

RickyDeg

« Reply #35 on: 16 Sep 2013, 03:53 am »
Hi Ricky,

We just received a note on that. 

It is for a highly calibrated mike that is now being tested, and not yet available, so the download was put up prematurely.

While the current mike is better than most other mikes, NuFORCE is now testing these "calibrated" mikes to push the envelope of AutoEQ.

This would probably be an "after market" mike for the most fastidious users, since the present mike is actually excellent.

Oh! Then I get it! I did get a reply from NuForce support but they didn't mention it was for an "after market" calibrated microphone.
This sounds very interesting indeed and makes me think of Anthem's excellent ARC mic and Audyssey's Pro mic.
I would consider myself a most fastidious user so bring it on! I'm assuming all dealers will sell the mic or will it be through their website only?
I've understood over the years that naturally the mic itself is upmost important for taking accurate measurements.

John Casler

« Reply #36 on: 16 Sep 2013, 07:23 pm »
Hi Ricky,

As of now they do not have a price, and certainly the dealers should be able get you one when they are available.

The CTO is testing them right now, so the firmware listing was premature.

I'll announce them here when they become available.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 17 Sep 2013, 12:04 am »
The digital output copies the front L and R.  Certainly you can do a 'Down Mixed' on the Front L and R to wrap the surround information.

RickyDeg

« Reply #38 on: 18 Sep 2013, 04:00 pm »
Hi Ricky,

As of now they do not have a price, and certainly the dealers should be able get you one when they are available.

The CTO is testing them right now, so the firmware listing was premature.

I'll announce them here when they become available.

I've just had a conversation with another AVP-18 owner over at HDFever.fr (the comment section of the review) and he says this update improves AutoEQ even with the standard supplied microphone! Significant improvements in his case, as a matter of fact, with more accurate results. I find that interesting! I'm gonna try this myself this coming weekend and I'll report back!

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 18 Sep 2013, 11:00 pm »
Hi,
Yes, the latest Firmware, even though it's with support for calibrated mic superceeds the previous version, it can be used with the standard mic, just skip adding the calibrated mic data feature.