Receiver Recommendation

WC

Re: Receiver Recommendation
« Reply #20 on: 16 Mar 2019, 04:23 am »
See settings on Page 96. You can make it fixed or variable.

Doublej

« Reply #21 on: 16 Mar 2019, 11:42 am »
Steve,

I hate it when you are right.  I was checking the online manual at the same time you were.  I do not think I can do what I planned.  I was able to use my Integra but I do not remember how I had it connected.

Page 36  "You can enjoy 2-ch audio in the separate room (ZONE 2) while performing 7.1-ch playback in the main room (where this unit is located). Connect the ZONE 2 PRE/ LINE OUT jacks of the unit and the LINE IN jacks of the pre-main amplifier or power amplifier in a separate room with an analog audio cable. The same source can be played back in the main room and ZONE 2 simultaneously. Also, different sources can be played back in both rooms. • To output audio from an externally connected AV component to ZONE 2, use an analog audio cable for connection. Also, the audio from externally connected AV components can be output to ZONE 2 only when the audio is analog signal."

I probably misinterpreted The same source can be played back in the main room and ZONE 2 simultaneously to include digital sources but now it seems wrong.

One solution is to return it and get a Marantz NR series receiver which has L/R output jacks. It's another $100+/- but should take care of the problem.

Don_S

« Reply #22 on: 16 Mar 2019, 03:47 pm »
I probably misinterpreted The same source can be played back in the main room and ZONE 2 simultaneously to include digital sources but now it seems wrong.

One solution is to return it and get a Marantz NR series receiver which has L/R output jacks. It's another $100+/- but should take care of the problem.

Doublej,

What connection would I use?  I think I would use the Marantz's front channel pre-outs into the pass thru inputs on my 2-channel integrated amp. The inputs are not labeled but I can program them to be pass-thru.

Am I missing something?  I know other AC members are using their 2-channel systems as part of their HT.

Doublej

« Reply #23 on: 16 Mar 2019, 04:56 pm »
Doublej,

What connection would I use?  I think I would use the Marantz's front channel pre-outs into the pass thru inputs on my 2-channel integrated amp. The inputs are not labeled but I can program them to be pass-thru.

Am I missing something?  I know other AC members are using their 2-channel systems as part of their HT.

I think you could use any AVR with Pre-out jacks. One would feed the Left and Right pre-outs of the AVR into one of the unused inputs on your integrated amplifier.

Regarding your other question, the two channel manufacturers have responded to the desire of folks wanting to have their two channel music system do double duty as part of a home theater setup by building two channel preamplifiers and integrated amplifiers with a Home Theater bypass function. The Home Theater bypass function is a dedicated input that bypasses the gain circuitry in the device to feed the Left and Right signals from the AVR directly to the two channel power amplifier. In the case of an integrated amplifier the power amplifier is within the unit.  Look at the picture of the back of this Parasound preamplifier for further explanation.

http://www.parasound.com/p6.php

The AVR has the ability to set the gain of each channel independently, or you can run the calibration software that is built into the AVR and do it automatically. You do this once when you set everything up the first time.

I will speculate that this is how many of the AC'ers do it. They have equipment with Home Theater bypass inputs.

BTW Some AVRs also have built in dialog enhancement capabilities. That's a different discussion for another time.

Don_S

« Reply #24 on: 16 Mar 2019, 05:07 pm »
Doublej,

Thanks.  That is just what I thought.  AVR pre-outs into the 2-channel integrated HT bypass input. The problem is finding affordable AVRs with pre-outs.  The units I was looking at did not have pre-outs and that is what was throwing me for a loop. Now I know what I need to have in an AVR.

Video is not important to me so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it.  I have 2-channel designs on those funds.  :lol:  Notice I have avoided the "Two channel sucks....." thread.  :roll:

Doublej

« Reply #25 on: 16 Mar 2019, 07:48 pm »
The good news is the older the unit the more likely it is to have preamp outputs. So ask all your friends itching to upgrade to the latest AVR format to give you their old unit.

Otherwise I think you are looking at $400 for a refurbished 2+ year old model Marantz, Yamaha, etc. with preamp outputs. In addition to the Marantz NR series I would look at the Yamaha RX-V781 or TSR-7810.

Costco has a new TSR-7850 on sale for $400 delivered. It has preamp out on for the front channels only which is all you are looking for.

audioengr

« Reply #26 on: 16 Mar 2019, 09:43 pm »
My neighbor got back to me.  The great receiver he has is Denon AVR-X1300W

srb

« Reply #27 on: 16 Mar 2019, 10:49 pm »
My neighbor got back to me.  The great receiver he has is Denon AVR-X1300W

That receiver has the same limitation of the Pioneer VSX-LX103, in that the Zone2 Pre-out can't pass audio from HDMI or S/PDIF (coaxial or optical) digital sources; analog connections must also be made for each digital source.

Although there may be a few receivers out there that have a second DAC for the Zone outputs that would allow digital sources to be output, chances are it would be a 2-channel stereo mixdown, not discrete L and R channels of a multi-channel format anyway.

As there are quite a few receivers just one notch up in price level that do offer at least L/R pre-outs, that's the way to go.

Don_S

« Reply #28 on: 20 Mar 2019, 07:43 pm »
Busted my budget and ordered a Marantz NR1608. Discontinued so remaining inventory (Crutchfield and Amazon) is reduced from $750 to $500. The replacement, NR1609, is $750. NR1608 may not be cheap, but at least I found it cheerful.  :thumb:

Four reasons for the jump up in my budget.  First it is Doublej's fault for recommending the NR series.  :lol:  2nd the Marantz does have L&R pre outs. 3rd The price reduction made it attractive. 4th--It is Marantz and not something affiliated with Onkyo.

I like the slim design so that was bonus points.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Doublej

« Reply #29 on: 20 Mar 2019, 10:41 pm »
I suppose I'll get blamed too when you start streaming internet radio stations and using a phone app or Alexa to control it.  :icon_lol: