The Real Reason Why Modern Day Music Is So Awful

Bendingwave

• Restricted
Re: The Real Reason Why Modern Day Music Is So Awful
« Reply #40 on: 1 Jul 2018, 09:46 pm »
Although there are some good pop songs today, majority of them are garbage especially those played on main stream radio/media.

Back then it was Whitney Houston and Micheal Jackson.....Today its Taylor swift and Justin beiber. SMDH LOL

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #41 on: 1 Jul 2018, 10:29 pm »
Today its Taylor swift and Justin beiber. SMDH LOL

Don't talk about my Swifty...

:nono:

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #42 on: 1 Jul 2018, 10:54 pm »
Don't talk about my Swifty...

:nono:

I wasnt talking about her, I was making a comparison.  :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #43 on: 1 Jul 2018, 11:23 pm »
Well, now we're getting a little more personal. This discussion isn't about likes, it's about "good" and "quality". Lots of people like and even love crappy music (though no one here on AC, of course!  8) )  - that's why it sells. I admit to liking some mediocre music and I wouldn't compare it to Bach, Basie or the Beatles. I just like it. Nothing wrong with that. I notice that a lot people say the music that they like and love is "really good" or "great". I think they are confusing the two. If you ask them why it's so good, they can't say or just get defensive - "it's good music!"

Like whatever you want to like. Hey, some people like and groove to small speakers cranked up spewing out 50% distortion too!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #44 on: 2 Jul 2018, 01:42 am »
I'd put anything from Wilco, Radiohead, Tool, or Bjork against anything created in the past.  Great bands, great music, all modern.  I hear they are kind of popular too ;)

Tool modern? Björk, great music? I had a disc by Wilco, Yankee Hotel, supposedly their best but I couldn’t stand it. I’ll stick to true class acts like the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Yes, Queen, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Heart, TalkingHeads, Fleetwood Mac etc.  :wink:

MttBsh

« Reply #45 on: 2 Jul 2018, 02:12 am »
I grew up listening to and seeing blues/rock bands like the Who, Jethro Tull, Ten Years After, Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Johnny Winter and later jazz rock bands like the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever. Love 'em or hate 'em, one thing they all had in common -  top notch musicians, virtuosos. They were encouraged by the record companies in those days to be creative and explore new musical ground, wherever their passions led them. This is what I miss in music today. there seems to be little emphasis on creativity, lots of noisy dance music that features very little if any instrumental skill. The general population these days doesn't seem to have the attention span to listen to real music.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 2 Jul 2018, 02:24 am »
Tool modern? Björk, great music? I had a disc by Wilco, Yankee Hotel, supposedly their best but I couldn’t stand it. I’ll stick to true class acts like the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Yes, Queen, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Heart, TalkingHeads, Fleetwood Mac etc.  :wink:

Well, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.

Tyson

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #50 on: 2 Jul 2018, 03:12 am »
There are some modern day songs that I find very unique and interesting as I am open to all types of music.

I found this random modern vid on youtube that I thought was pretty unique> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzQGiYD3s6s

Even non English songs like The moon represents my heart cover by yoona https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I2-18LPPug

Lani Misalucha > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXYlveKRz9M

Interesting and unique> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLKPdpubiYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYZdgJtRFdg

skunark

« Reply #52 on: 2 Jul 2018, 04:00 am »
I found the premise of the youtube video in the first post a little off.  It states the Beatles employed new techniques to make the sgt pepper album and the continues on to compare it to Justin Beiber’s first album which was rather a simple album.   Maybe his last album where he worked with Skrilx would be a better comparison when the study budget is a little more equal.   

Its probably interesting to understand how important social media is for the current artists and their fan base.   I'm not old enough to appreciate the Beatles, but from what I've read they were the equivalent of a boyband in the eyes of the fans.  I've been told by aunts and uncles it was way worse than any craze today   Would the Beatles have enough social media might to make it today?    I know they are skilled musicians, but its not their music that resonates with me like the 90s, 00s, 10s do.  I love Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Hendrix and feel like NIN, Radiohead and Kravitz/Jack White are their generational counterparts.  Its probably too early to tell with modern music but Shawn Mendes, Ed Sheeran and Drake are leading that pack not Bieber.

Radio stations today are mostly big corporations with few DJs and even smaller catalogs to choose from, i assume that type of corporate control wasn’t abundant back then?  If it was different thats a huge factor for his argument and even the problem for today.

There are a lot of great musicians and music today, it takes some work tonfind them.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #54 on: 2 Jul 2018, 04:47 pm »
I admit to liking some mediocre music and I wouldn't compare it to Bach, Basie or the Beatles. I just like it. Nothing wrong with that. I notice that a lot people say the music that they like and love is "really good" or "great". I think they are confusing the two. If you ask them why it's so good, they can't say or just get defensive - "it's good music!"

Like whatever you want to like. Hey, some people like and groove to small speakers cranked up spewing out 50% distortion too!

Yup!  Sometimes cheap entertainment is fun. Occasionally I just want to crank up some White Zombie or the Butthole Surfers...   :icon_twisted:

Tyson

« Reply #55 on: 2 Jul 2018, 05:05 pm »

That was painfully bad.

Written by Harry Nilsson - much better version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iJnl3eWILw

Not my point.  My point is that most popular music is pablum and that's been true for ever.  We just forget the bad/trash/embarrassing stuff and focus on "Led Zep rulz!!!" and forget that for every Zep, there's at least a hundred mediocre to shitty bands.  But memory is selective, hence you get this golden-agism re: how awesome everyone thinks the past was.  Sorry but the past sucked. 

charmerci

« Reply #57 on: 2 Jul 2018, 05:14 pm »
Not my point.  My point is that most popular music is pablum and that's been true for ever.  We just forget the bad/trash/embarrassing stuff and focus on "Led Zep rulz!!!" and forget that for every Zep, there's at least a hundred mediocre to shitty bands.  But memory is selective, hence you get this golden-agism re: how awesome everyone thinks the past was.  Sorry but the past sucked.

I wasn't attacking your point. I was simply commenting on two separate videos.

But also, in the past there were much fewer good or bad bands/musicians - just in sheer numbers. Now bad music is in huge numbers and all over the place. We're bombarded by it. As the guy said above, there's good music out there but you have to find it - whereas in the past, the good music made it to the top, you didn't have to search for it. But also, that first video was almost all machine electronic music. Not much feeling in the instruments.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #58 on: 2 Jul 2018, 05:24 pm »
One of musical influences as a kid.   If you can ever catch a DCI summer competition, DO SO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4GMf43z_vc&t=97s

Tyson

« Reply #59 on: 2 Jul 2018, 05:25 pm »

I wasn't attacking your point. I was simply commenting on two separate videos.

But also, in the past there were much fewer good or bad bands/musicians - just in sheer numbers. Now bad music is in huge numbers and all over the place. We're bombarded by it. As the guy said above, there's good music out there but you have to find it - whereas in the past, the good music made it to the top, you didn't have to search for it. But also, that first video was almost all machine electronic music. Not much feeling in the instruments.

Yes, totally agree with that!  :thumb: