Damaged CD surfaces due to plastic sleeves

razorcuts

Damaged CD surfaces due to plastic sleeves
« on: 31 Mar 2023, 03:50 am »
Hello,

I'm new to the group and am seeking some advice on how to remove smears on CD surfaces caused by wrinkles in the poly sleeves that I use to store the CDs in. I saw a thread from a member with the same issue a couple of years ago but wanted to check in and see if anyone else has a similar issue and how these smears can be removed.

Cheers!

Phil A

Re: Damaged CD surfaces due to plastic sleeves
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2023, 12:57 pm »
Welcome!  There are lots of sites with info - e.g.  https://www.cdunity.com/cd-cleaning-how-to-clean-cds/

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2023, 01:17 pm »
The bottom readable surface is polycarbonate, aka "bulletproof glass." The data is on the other side, under the printing and is protected by the thick plastic. So you can use anything to clean the readable surface that won't melt or scratch polycarbonate. Eyeglasses are polycarbonate, so anything designed to clean glasses will work safely.

If the marks are caused by volatile outgassing from soft plastic sleeve then it might have etched the CD and is not washable. More likely, it just left residue, or glued itself to the CD and left some sleeve material behind.

I would start with dish soap and sponge.  Milk is known as a very gentle cleaning solvent. Everyone knows that spit and fingernail will safely clean anything that's cleanable except germs. I would not use saliva after drinking milk, however.  :nono:

Welcome to AudioCircle!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2023, 01:27 pm »
Welcome tô AC :thumb:

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2023, 01:58 pm »
If you have damage that's actually penetrated the uppermost polycarbonate surface you'll need to use something that's somewhat aggressive in polishing action but not excessively so. I've used Novus products for many years to polish & clean hard plastics with great success.

https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-PK1-8-Plastic-Scratch-Remover-Bottles/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1WQJIIDQ9RCO5&keywords=plastic+polishing+and+scratch+removal+kit&qid=1680270999&sprefix=plastic+polish%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-2

razorcuts

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2023, 07:44 am »
Thanks for all the advice. I've used almost all methods to remove the smears (from toothpaste, to novus to even resurfacing the disc using SkipDr) but nothing works.....:(

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2023, 08:29 am »
I use isopropyl alcohol to remove mold.

Jstower

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2023, 12:09 am »
Hello razorcuts, well I used to rent cds dvds from the  library, at one point the library used to clean them, but lately not so much. Most of the time several tracks skip and would not play. What I do is use a 4” muslin buff wheel ( 4” x 40 ply ) and  some Tripoli polishing compound on a dental lathe on low speed (1760 rpm) work from the center to the edge, light pressure, it’s cleans them right up. Good luck