M4 Sapphire review

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: M4 Sapphire review
« Reply #20 on: 3 Mar 2023, 06:44 pm »
Igreyhound… I have not. My buddy with the 3.7i… I’ve heard them with five amps… the best was the Sanders.

Overall, though, his system the way it is set up most of the time is either analog or digital into a Lyngdorf 2170 functioning as a preamp and running Room Perfect then into the Sanders into the Maggie’s…. which only run from 80 hz up because everything below is handled by a 4 subwoofer Audio Kinesis swarm bass system. Not much issue with low level dynamics here….

But seriously, if you ever get the chance to hear the Spatial X or Sapphire models… they are hard not to like.

I run my Maggies full range with 2 subs xover at 45hz..  I feel that you take away from the Maggies sound by not running full range, especially with a good  amp with great low end control and punch.

I would love to hear the new Spatials.  I truly considered upgrading to a pair but my in house audition of an early pair of a turbo model was disappointing.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 3 Mar 2023, 08:30 pm »
I run my Maggies full range with 2 subs xover at 45hz..  I feel that you take away from the Maggies sound by not running full range, especially with a good  amp with great low end control and punch.

I would love to hear the new Spatials.  I truly considered upgrading to a pair but my in house audition of an early pair of a turbo model was disappointing.

I heard all the turbo models and (not to knock Clayton's prior work), but the new X series is a step wise improvement over those models. 

Tangram

« Reply #22 on: 3 Mar 2023, 09:12 pm »
I owned LRSs and M3 Sapphires at the same time. It was the Magnepans that introduced me to "boxless speakers" and the reason I bought the Spatials. For 18 months I couldn't bring myself to sell the LRSs and kept promising to hook them (and the subs I used with them) up. Well, I was enjoying the Spatials so much that I kept procrastinating. The good thing was that I got really used to the Spatial's presentation. So when I DID hook up the Maggies, I got a big, big surprise. Compared to the M3s, the LRS treble was grainy and unrefined. Did not see that coming.

Spatial's AMT tweeter gets a lot of accolades here but once they are broken in, the Peerless M100 tweeter sounds beautiful. Doesn't get the praise it deserves.

I sold my Maggies two months ago.

catluck

« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2023, 01:58 pm »
Spatial's AMT tweeter gets a lot of accolades here but once they are broken in, the Peerless M100 tweeter sounds beautiful. Doesn't get the praise it deserves.

Tangram I find myself nodding in agreement.  The Peerless dome sounds exceptional. Kind of extraordinary for a $75 tweet.  I look at the M3's and wonder how 2 15" paper woofers can possibly mate to a corundum 1.25" dome and sound so musical??  I'm constrained to comment mostly on jazz material and this dome delivers tone, dynamics, and detail. Imaging in my crudely treated room is superb.  Going on 1.5 yrs of ownership and I have no thoughts of "upgrading" speaks.  Maybe the first time in 45 yrs of searching for the holy grail.  Or, maybe I'm just getting old... I don't  know.  I remember, when I originally spoke to Clayton several years ago, when considering selling my M1 turbos to buy the M3's, Clayton told me that the M3's were so good that they might be "the last speaker you'll own."  Up to this very moment he was right.

morganc

« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2023, 02:06 pm »

I owned a pair of the earlier models as well and only kept them briefly as well and now love the X-3’s.

Tangram

« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2023, 07:55 pm »
Tangram I find myself nodding in agreement.  The Peerless dome sounds exceptional. Kind of extraordinary for a $75 tweet.  I look at the M3's and wonder how 2 15" paper woofers can possibly mate to a corundum 1.25" dome and sound so musical??  I'm constrained to comment mostly on jazz material and this dome delivers tone, dynamics, and detail. Imaging in my crudely treated room is superb.  Going on 1.5 yrs of ownership and I have no thoughts of "upgrading" speaks.  Maybe the first time in 45 yrs of searching for the holy grail.  Or, maybe I'm just getting old... I don't  know.  I remember, when I originally spoke to Clayton several years ago, when considering selling my M1 turbos to buy the M3's, Clayton told me that the M3's were so good that they might be "the last speaker you'll own."  Up to this very moment he was right.

When I bought my Spatials the AMT tweeter was only available on models with active woofers and I wasn't interested in the additional complexity and expense of those. Without a side-by-side comparison I'm just blowing smoke but in isolation, the M3 Sapphires sound fabulous to my ears.

RonN5

« Reply #26 on: 4 Mar 2023, 08:02 pm »
Actually, I would say that the Peerless unit is much better than "for the money" as I find that it holds its own with the RAAL XR-70 that I had in my Veracity STs...with the advantage of crossing much lower.  I suspect that this is why Ron at New Record Day had the M3 Sapphires as his reference speakers for quite a while.

Additionally, and this can be a problem for some rooms, with the low crossover, the dispersion is so wide that the soundstage is enveloping...and the whole room ends up being filled with a very balanced sound.

Mr. Big

« Reply #27 on: 5 Mar 2023, 03:54 pm »
Actually, I would say that the Peerless unit is much better than "for the money" as I find that it holds its own with the RAAL XR-70 that I had in my Veracity STs...with the advantage of crossing much lower.  I suspect that this is why Ron at New Record Day had the M3 Sapphires as his reference speakers for quite a while.

Additionally, and this can be a problem for some rooms, with the low crossover, the dispersion is so wide that the soundstage is enveloping...and the whole room ends up being filled with a very balanced sound.

Once the speakers break in, and you take the time to learn the speakers and their position within the size of your room the speakers are just transparent natural detail, and musical bringing the feel of the performers in the room.  even in a smaller room, they can work even if you have them close together because you're using your room properly. Toe-in is important and each room will have a different toe-in. They are fast and clean sounding, but with needed bottomed and midbass weight. Crappy and over-processed recordings will sound that way, then well-produced recordings can be sublime and warm. Being a panel guy and Electrostatic lover this is one speaker I have been very happy to have purchased to replace them with no buyer remorse. I've had speakers that cost 3 times more, and I can say from experience with sane money to spend you don't get much better than the Spatials. My most loved box speaker was my Dynaudio Confidence 5's which in today's market would be 20-30K. The Spatials remind me of them in their ability to have that in-room experience and clarity with an authoritative bottom end except more controlled and cleaner due to less room influence, the Dyna's could shake the room, and looking at the speaker you never would have guessed it, loved them. And due to my carpeted floor with a good pad under it, I found a big improvement using no spikes for my room, just the footers that the spikes would have screwed into, night and day dynamics, details, and alive along with the body, sounds like a panel now. Wood floors of course would be a different story. Good speakers period not just for the money. Well designed and they sound it.

timing3435

« Reply #28 on: 7 Mar 2023, 03:54 am »
I had the M3's and was just as impressed. My first OB speaker and I am never going back to a box. I bought the X3's and I had never heard them, just trusted Clayton and others . No regrets. I then added the Atma-Sphere S30 in to replace a solid state amp. Every listening session is mesmerising. Can not give you the sonic details precisely  but detail with depth fused with solid bass. I love to listen and drift away into the depth of the music. Not sure  that for the money there is anything better.  If anyone is around Stuart , Fl and wants to hear a simple system. ( Blu-Node streamer, Element X as DAC /Pre, Atma -Sphere S30,  Spatial X3's ) DM me .  Timing 3435