STA-100

donos

STA-100
« on: 26 Dec 2022, 05:06 pm »
Hello
I see reference to an entry level NuPrime amp :- STA-100 on the nuprimeaudio website.
Will this be a Class-D amp (perhaps like NuForce STA120) or Hybrid Class A+D amp (more like NuPrime STA-6) ?
Thank you

John Casler

Re: STA-100
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2022, 05:51 pm »
While I will let technicians or Rustydoglim answer your specific questions, the following has been released regarding this amp.

"The $649 STA-100 includes innovations in SMPS that we are introducing for the first time. It is an Adaptive Voltage Switching Power Supply where the amplifier’s output signal feeds back into the power supply’s servo power stage, causing a change in the output voltages supplying the power stage of the amplifier. This design resulted in more details at a low music level and explosive power at a high volume. For more information, refer to the product page: https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/sta-100/"

It is also projected to be produced in an 8 channel version in the future.

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2022, 06:06 pm »
Hello
I see reference to an entry level NuPrime amp :- STA-100 on the nuprimeaudio website.
Will this be a Class-D amp (perhaps like NuForce STA120) or Hybrid Class A+D amp (more like NuPrime STA-6) ?
Thank you

This is a pure Class-D. The sound characteristic is similar to the IDA-16 amp.

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2022, 06:16 pm »
The STA-100 is designed as a "standalone" amp in the < $1k Omnia series. It has a 5V power supply for Streamers (Omnia Stream Mini DAC, WR-2)

The Adaptive Voltage Switching Power Supply is the most innovative SMPS design introduced by NuPrime for the first time. The amplifier’s output signal feeds back into the power supply’s servo power stage, causing a change in the output voltages supplying the power stage of the amplifier. This design resulted in more details at a low music level and explosive power at a high volume.

donos

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2022, 12:24 am »
Thanks John Casier & rustydoglim - appreciate both your responses.

I'm looking to upgrade from an older (budget) class D amp that causes loudspeakers to hum when there's no signal ... so I'm very interested in NuPrime as a high quality, compact replacement stereo power amp.

I only need RCA input, so my initial thought was to look out for a second hand Class A+D amp (e.g. STA-9 ... or even a new/second hand STA-6 - if I could find one !). But the new STA-100 also sounds interesting.

Would you have an opinion as to which would be the "quieter" amp technology (less likely to cause speaker to hum) :-
- Class A+D, or
- Class D (as implemented in new STA-100) ?

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2022, 03:39 pm »
Your hum is likely due to 1) noisy PSU, circuit power and ground routing issues; 2) the specific Class-D implementation.
I don't think it has anything to do with Class A+D or Class D.

AllanS

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2022, 10:13 pm »
Thanks John Casier & rustydoglim - appreciate both your responses.
Ditto.   :popcorn: