NuPrime uDSD on Linux (Ubuntu)

johan.pretorius

• Instagram feed - qoolpix.music
NuPrime uDSD on Linux (Ubuntu)
« on: 2 Mar 2022, 08:47 am »
Hi - this also serves as my introductory post.  I'm based in South Africa, more into analog at the moment.

I've bought a used NuPrime uDSD, and would like to connect it to my Linux desktop.  However, the device are not being picked up, I actually have the same issue on a Macbook Pro 13" (Mid 2012, running Catalina).

When I connect the uDSD to an amplifier, there is a thumping noise when switching on the unit, so it appears as if the output is working.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

rustydoglim

• Facilitator
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: NuPrime uDSD on Linux (Ubuntu)
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2022, 03:49 pm »
What music file format are you trying to play?  For sure it works with Mac as I personally use Mac.
Linux is not supported but many people have reported that it works with various versions of Linux.

tomchy

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2023, 07:22 pm »
Hi!
Which version of linux kernel do you use?

For a while now, the code that recognizes DACs (part of alsa) is baked into the linux kernel, so the best option is to try out the live CD (or USB dongle) with the newest OS.
Once a device gets connected, you should see some messages in dmesg and a new directory should be created under /proc/asound.

Last time I checked (>1 year ago), the device was recognized by my OS, but a patch was required to use the DSD capabilities.

giordy60

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2023, 01:17 pm »

I've bought a used NuPrime uDSD, and would like to connect it to my Linux desktop.  However, the device are not being picked up, I actually have the same issue on a Macbook Pro 13" (Mid 2012, running Catalina).

did you try to go to " go " > utilities > audio midi configuration > left column there is a list of devices....you should find them udsd nuprime > you have to activate it as audio output, to activate it first click on it when it turns blue go down, there is a wheel, open the drop-down window on the right and click on "use this device as audio output"

Have you already done this procedure?