Vista audio i84 usage as preamp?

george_k

Vista audio i84 usage as preamp?
« on: 5 Oct 2007, 01:03 pm »
I currently have a pair of B&W 703's and although the quoted manufacturer efficiency is 90dB an a reviewer noted otherwise:

"I would judge this speaker to be moderately difficult to drive. For that reason, I would conservatively rate its nominal impedance at 4ohms. The 703's sensitivity measured about 88dB/2.83V/m."

I use the speakers for both music and 2 ch HT. I like the sound of tubes but I need the grunt of a high power transistor amp to properly drive these speakers. Would it be possible/advisable to use the i84 as a preamp (can it be done)?

If not, does vista audio plan on producing a preamp in the near future?

Audiovista

Re: Vista audio i84 usage as preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2007, 01:29 am »
Hi George,

Thanks for "visitng"  :thumb:

The model i84 does not have preamp outputs so you would not be able to use it with an SS amplifier without making some cumbersome mods (such as adding a voltage divider at the output to reduce voltage to an acceptable level).

Right now Vista-Audio has only some prototypes of a tube preamp (as we currently sell only integrated amps, preamp is not on top of our priorities). But we also represent a Hong Kong company with an extremely fast (10Hz - 100kHz) remote controlled tube preamp. The preamp is priced at $960. Currently there are none in stock, but it can be preordered for $820.00. Lead time is currently ~8 weeks.

Thanks again,
Boris

RawB8figure

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2007, 01:57 am »
how much for a set of the 50W monoblocks

Audiovista

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2007, 01:30 am »
how much for a set of the 50W monoblocks

I guess you're asking about Radii monoblocks with 805 tubes....

Radii monoblocks are $2,700 (pair). However, I have none in stock, so there is a 20% discount for preorders ($2,160). I have one demo pair, will be available in a week for $1,700. Shipping is extra (two large boxes, 60lbs each).

Thanks,
Boris

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2007, 01:47 am »
Hey!

Got this pic off you site Boris. :D Man!  :drool:

I get turn on when I see high power SET amps  :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Audiovista

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2007, 12:21 am »
Thanks Buddy, took the picture myself.... 8)