Hypex UCD180 for active stup?

AlliumPorrum

Hypex UCD180 for active stup?
« on: 16 Apr 2013, 05:18 am »
Does anyone have any experience on "Hypex UcD180HG with HxR"- DIY kit on active setup?

I had a plan to drive highs and mids of my next fully active 3-way DIY system with Hypex NCores, but it seems that at this stage it is a bit too expensive solution for me. And, from the power point of view, I think that Maggie ribbons and NEO10's really would not need 400W in active setup. Since Hypex most likely is not going to offer lower power / lower price version of NCore, UCD seems to be my only option for lower price tag.

What's your opinion;
- Would 180W UCD be "enough" for 3a ribbons and a line of B&G NEO10's?
- Would it be a good solution from the sound quality point of view, compared to NCore or anything else on a similar price range?
- Are there any potential problems connecting UCD's directly to Maggie ribbons or NEO's?

Thanks!

AlliumPorrum

Re: Hypex UCD180 for active stup?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2013, 09:47 pm »
Any comments on this issue..?

Also; what is the benefit of HxR- unit from the sound quality point of view, vs. regular HG? Does it make a big difference for bass or tweeters in active setup?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2013, 11:30 pm »
What type of volume levels do you listen at?  If they're reasonable, you will be fine IMO.   I've heard the UcD and they're really really good.  If you never heard the NCore next to them, you would be happy for years.  If money is the issue, go with the UcD technology and don't look back. 

lowtech

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2013, 01:49 am »
Yes, 180w is more than enough power to fry your B&G driver.  Been using UcD modules for a long time and recommend them for use with active speakers.

Neo3 fried with a UcD 180 (due to up-stream equipment failure):

AlliumPorrum

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2013, 05:34 am »
Ok, thanks sounds good!

Any comments on this HxR- question? Is the cost worth it for highs & mids? I *think* that basses are not so critical anyway, so maybe 400HG without a HxR would be a good compromise for basses..?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2013, 11:26 am »
Ok, thanks sounds good!

Any comments on this HxR- question? Is the cost worth it for highs & mids? I *think* that basses are not so critical anyway, so maybe 400HG without a HxR would be a good compromise for basses..?

That sounds pretty reasonable. I'll be building the 180HG w/ HxR for my theater setup, but sticking to the 400HG for subs.

Good luck on your build and please post pics here!

Best,
Anand.

AlliumPorrum

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2013, 01:43 pm »
What type of volume levels do you listen at?  If they're reasonable, you will be fine IMO.   I've heard the UcD and they're really really good.  If you never heard the NCore next to them, you would be happy for years.  If money is the issue, go with the UcD technology and don't look back.

I don't need extremely high volume levels, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But I surely would not want to compromise the sound quality. B&G NEO8 + Magneplanar ribbon is quite revealing combo anyway. I have read that NCore is surely better, but compared to the price of UCD180 or even UCD400 the price different is quite large, since I need 6 of them. Maybe I really should go with UCD's, shouldn't be "bad" either ;=)

But I'm still wondering if HxR is worth the money or not..?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2013, 02:28 pm »
I don't need extremely high volume levels, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But I surely would not want to compromise the sound quality. B&G NEO8 + Magneplanar ribbon is quite revealing combo anyway. I have read that NCore is surely better, but compared to the price of UCD180 or even UCD400 the price different is quite large, since I need 6 of them. Maybe I really should go with UCD's, shouldn't be "bad" either ;=)

But I'm still wondering if HxR is worth the money or not..?
Go UcD but with HxR.

lowtech

« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2013, 02:44 pm »
I think you will be hard pressed to hear the benefits of the better regulator on the bass channels.  Also, the modules can be used with a lower secondary voltage transformer to produce less output wattage (if you believe 180W is overkill for your tweeter channels).

AlliumPorrum

« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2013, 03:49 pm »
I think you will be hard pressed to hear the benefits of the better regulator on the bass channels.

Ok, but how about on the mids & highs?

And just to be sure; with midbass I mean range ~80-400hz, which would be played by Maggie's driver.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2013, 05:09 pm by AlliumPorrum »

AlliumPorrum

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2013, 06:12 pm »
I also think that if I could afford just one NCore, it would give a largest benefit on B&G mids (~400-4000hz). And then cheaper UCD for basses and highs. Right?

this_is_vv

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2013, 06:40 pm »
I also think that if I could afford just one NCore, it would give a largest benefit on B&G mids (~400-4000hz). And then cheaper UCD for basses and highs. Right?

I dont have an experience with uCD, but i have active setup with  Ncore's....and for me the Ncore really shines in high and Mids , before this i had B&K again in active and i also had Marantz Ma500

But the combination or Raal , scanspeak and Ncore is amazing for me....just giving you my experience....

V

AlliumPorrum

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2013, 05:47 pm »
Ok, thank you very much for all of your answers! I think I'm going for 400HG for basses, 180 HxR for highs, and depending on the budget 180HxR or NCore for mids. Should be fine setup either way :=)