Veneer Question/ NX Ottica MTM-H Frame Servo Bass Build

ebag4

Re: Veneer Question/ NX Ottica MTM-H Frame Servo Bass Build
« Reply #200 on: 29 Jun 2017, 01:45 am »
Ed,
That came out really nice. Glad the Ultimate Polish worked for you. Now you can do your car with it  :)
Thanks Lacro, I decided to proceed with the ultimate wax.

I haven't made any progress but the wax arrived so I made time to wax the MTM and the middle section.  I mounted the drivers, this is what they will look like finished.

Best,
Ed

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #201 on: 29 Jun 2017, 02:03 am »
Suhweet! :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #202 on: 29 Jun 2017, 02:47 am »
Home run Ed  :thumb:

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #203 on: 29 Jun 2017, 05:37 am »
Ed,

Those look fantastic!!! If I were you I would be very proud of what you ended up with.

I hope you enjoy them!

Greg

ebag4

« Reply #204 on: 30 Jun 2017, 12:57 am »
Thanks guys, I hope to be listening to them this time next week.  I am happy with the way they turned out, but if doing it again I would definitely go with a veneer that has less character if working towards a high gloss finish. 

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #205 on: 30 Jun 2017, 04:29 pm »
Awsome man  :thumb: :thumb:

jay

ebag4

« Reply #206 on: 5 Jul 2017, 09:10 pm »
Awsome man  :thumb: :thumb:

jay
Thanks Jay, I am pretty happy with them, especially since they are now playing!! :thumb:

They are complete minus NoRez.  I just realized this morning I have less than half of what I need, I will do that when I can start and finish it.

I wanted to thank everyone who participated in this thread for sharing your experience and know how.  The support offered in this thread and on Audio Circle over the years is priceless.  This project was improved (imho) through the support and ideas offered in this thread.

Here are pics of them as they were being finished , this will be the end of the pics unless someone wants to see the NoRez , for that I would recommend going to Peter's Otica build, that's what I will be attempting.  These get heavy enough that I install drivers in them on the floor they will live, that is why I am working in the great room.

I will be commenting on sound once they have several hours on them.

They are sitting on 4 Herbies giant gliders ea., Herbies tenderfeet are between the bass base and the center crossover section, the MTM is sitting on some 1/8th inch thick sorbethane that is attached to the center section, the sorbethane is sticky and keeps the MTM from moving.

Best,
Ed

« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2017, 10:36 pm by ebag4 »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #207 on: 5 Jul 2017, 09:38 pm »
Ed,

Absolutely beautiful.

The No-Rez will make a big difference in the sound. The MTM's had a cavernous sound to them in my room before installing the No-Rez. I found putting a piece on the bottom in addition to the large wing was beneficial in taming that undesirable sound.

With the bottom piece you can try before you buy. Set them in place without peeling the backing off. If you like the sound, then peel and stick. If not, remove the piece of No-Rez and keep the bottom shiny.

No-Rez won't stick well to the finished lacquer. It will keep pulling loose. I scuff sanded the areas where I put the No-Rez with P600 sandpaper (~ANSI 400 grit). If you have applied wax, remove that with mineral spirits before sanding.

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #208 on: 5 Jul 2017, 10:24 pm »
Ed,

Absolutely beautiful.

The No-Rez will make a big difference in the sound. The MTM's had a cavernous sound to them in my room before installing the No-Rez. I found putting a piece on the bottom in addition to the large wing was beneficial in taming that undesirable sound.

With the bottom piece you can try before you buy. Set them in place without peeling the backing off. If you like the sound, then peel and stick. If not, remove the piece of No-Rez and keep the bottom shiny.

No-Rez won't stick well to the finished lacquer. It will keep pulling loose. I scuff sanded the areas where I put the No-Rez with P600 sandpaper (~ANSI 400 grit). If you have applied wax, remove that with mineral spirits before sanding.

Mike

Thanks Mike.  Yes, of course I waxed the interior side and bottom  :duh: :lol:

Best,
Ed

DeeJayBump

« Reply #209 on: 6 Jul 2017, 12:32 am »
Ed-

These came out amazing. Thanks for sharing the journey with us and happy listening.

Captainhemo

« Reply #210 on: 6 Jul 2017, 01:29 am »
Cool  8)  Happy listening   man. 
I've got   a  couple hundred hours on a pair of mztm's  up here now and they've really come around, think  you'll   really enjoy them Ed
Again,  enjoy !

jay

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #211 on: 6 Jul 2017, 02:47 am »
Awesome job Ed!!

There are quite a few speaker manufacturers that could learn a thing or two from you!!

George

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #212 on: 6 Jul 2017, 03:59 pm »
They're so shiny!

Well done, Ed. I'd be proud to have those in the house.

There is a downside though. Seeing these sparks a flame in me to build yet another pair of speakers...

I guess it never ends.

ebag4

« Reply #213 on: 6 Jul 2017, 06:25 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate you sticking with it throughout this entirely too long thread. :thumb:

Best,
Ed

Odal3

« Reply #214 on: 6 Jul 2017, 06:25 pm »
Wow - those look really really nice  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #215 on: 7 Jul 2017, 02:28 am »
Ed, I sincerely wish I would have had the pleasure of following this thread from day one. I'm sad I just now found it (through the "Let's see your OB thread").
Honestly, I just now skimmed the first page, then jumped to the last page to comment, I hope to find the time to catch up.

In the first post, you said the burl veneer was "this is a plane tree burl".
This looks a LOT like a Pelin Burl build I did. Is that what it is?

Anyway, I'd like to complement you on a beautiful build. Well done Sir!  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #216 on: 7 Jul 2017, 02:43 pm »
They're so shiny!

Well done, Ed. I'd be proud to have those in the house.

There is a downside though. Seeing these sparks a flame in me to build yet another pair of speakers...

I guess it never ends.

You're right Peter, it's terminal  :lol:

jay

ebag4

« Reply #217 on: 9 Jul 2017, 02:30 am »
Thanks guys.

I wanted to give a brief update on the sound.  I have them breaking in on the Folsom amp I built last year, great synergy here, really excellent pairing, makes me wonder if Danny voiced these speakers using his little chip amps.

Sometime after 50 hrs the speakers bloomed, they are sounding fantastic, similar to the Wedgie but more weight and more dynamic.  More later.

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #218 on: 9 Jul 2017, 02:33 am »
I use the little chip amps most of the time now.

Captainhemo

« Reply #219 on: 9 Jul 2017, 04:34 am »
Hey, not sure if you  guys flipped the wiring  in the netowrks  or not but,   the  tweeter should be wired   out of phase,   in the pics , it look s like you've got red to + ( if you flipped wiring inthe network, that's fine , but if not,    they need to be reversed).  Good catch Don :beer:

Also driving the pair here with a chip amp, one of the Folsom 7297/Antiopole  setups,  upgraded caps, wire,  and a Lundahl trans

jay