AVP-18

RickyDeg

Re: AVP-18
« Reply #40 on: 19 Sep 2013, 03:35 am »
Hi,
Yes, the latest Firmware, even though it's with support for calibrated mic superceeds the previous version, it can be used with the standard mic, just skip adding the calibrated mic data feature.

I'm confused by that last part in your reply - should I not transfer the entire data feature when I update my AVP-18? I think the instructions are pretty clear? But then again I might be missing something...

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 19 Sep 2013, 06:25 am »
Hi,
If not using the calibrated mic, there is no need to load the Mic Calibration data at all.  Just 'Open File' to load the new firmware, and run firmware update, click 'Start'.   

Ignore the Mic part.

RickyDeg

« Reply #42 on: 19 Sep 2013, 03:51 pm »
Hi,
If not using the calibrated mic, there is no need to load the Mic Calibration data at all.  Just 'Open File' to load the new firmware, and run firmware update, click 'Start'.   

Ignore the Mic part.

Hmm... so the firmware file in the folder for the microphone calibration is the only thing of interest as long as we have the standard microphone only? Kind of makes sense.

Its just this particular firmware code is the same as the one already released separately earlier last month, and so I already have firmware 1.52.02.45 installed inside my AVP-18. Therefor I'm not sure what good this'll do, unless I'm missing something again? Wish NuForce would get this information straightened out clearly on their website for all owners, but it's a tad lackluster. Perhaps FAQ will be updated?

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 19 Sep 2013, 11:00 pm »
Hi,
Yes, the fundamental 0820 firmware is 'repeated' in the 'calibrated mic' version.  So if you're not using calibrated mic, you may ignore this update.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:29 pm »
Hi,
I wish to inform that we updated all the firmware to the latest version in our USA warehouse, so there is no need to worry, if you recently ordered one or expecting a delivery of one.

ricardojoa

« Reply #45 on: 1 Nov 2013, 09:43 pm »
Just wanted to know the output voltage if possible.
I need to know to see how it will matches other equipments.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 5 Nov 2013, 07:24 pm »
Just wanted to know the output voltage if possible.
I need to know to see how it will matches other equipments.

Maximum output is >12.5Vpp.   

Rimbaud

« Reply #47 on: 23 Jan 2014, 06:04 am »
The manual mentions a headphone output - is there a headphone amp built in?  I don't see a jack in the photos.

Also, how would this unit work with an external headphone amp (or DAC/amp), while remaining hooked up to a multichanel amp for speakers?  The spec's mention a spdif output, but I don't see a digital output jack (other than HDMI).

Lastly in the headphone vein, what exactly is "HD Headphone Surround Sound'?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #48 on: 23 Jan 2014, 12:15 pm »
Has anyone tried using a higher quality power cable with an AVP-18?

I'm going to take possession of an AVP-18 before too long, and I'm contemplating using a better cable. Anyone have an opinion? I'm all eyes. :icon_lol:

John Casler

« Reply #49 on: 26 Jan 2014, 12:38 am »
The manual mentions a headphone output - is there a headphone amp built in?  I don't see a jack in the photos.

Also, how would this unit work with an external headphone amp (or DAC/amp), while remaining hooked up to a multichanel amp for speakers?  The spec's mention a spdif output, but I don't see a digital output jack (other than HDMI).

Lastly in the headphone vein, what exactly is "HD Headphone Surround Sound'?

The mention of a Headphone Output is in error and should be fixed soon.

The software HD Surround Sound process is also a remnant of the OEM's firmware, and not available since there is no Phones output.

Rimbaud

« Reply #50 on: 26 Jan 2014, 03:18 am »
The mention of a Headphone Output is in error and should be fixed soon.

The software HD Surround Sound process is also a remnant of the OEM's firmware, and not available since there is no Phones output.

Thanks John.  As for the spdif output, the photo on the Nuforce site doesn't show a jack but another photo I found online does show one.  What is the current configuration?

If there is a digital output, can the audio (from HDMI input) be switched between the analog outputs and the digital one?  That way, I could hook a DAC/headphone amp to the digital output for headphone use when watching movies or using the xbox.

John Casler

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jan 2014, 03:30 am »
Thanks John.  As for the spdif output, the photo on the Nuforce site doesn't show a jack but another photo I found online does show one.  What is the current configuration?

If there is a digital output, can the audio (from HDMI input) be switched between the analog outputs and the digital one?  That way, I could hook a DAC/headphone amp to the digital output for headphone use when watching movies or using the xbox.

Yes, the production model has the optical digital (toslink) output.

It is my understanding that the optical is hot all the time and carries only the L&R channel info.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #52 on: 28 Jan 2014, 03:50 am »
Rimbaud,

Good question!  :thumb:

John,

Thank you for answering.  :thumb:

I know I'll put that to good use.

John Casler

« Reply #54 on: 29 Jan 2014, 12:04 am »
Also make sure and pick up the FEB/MARCH issue Of Sound and Vision for a review/test of the AVP-18

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #55 on: 29 Jan 2014, 03:02 am »
Also make sure and pick up the FEB/MARCH issue Of Sound and Vision for a review/test of the AVP-18

John Casler

« Reply #56 on: 5 Feb 2014, 11:22 pm »
Posted not too long ago on the AV Revolution Website:

AVP-18 info and specs

For those interested in the latest REVIEW of the AVP-18 from Sound and Vision.

The SOUND and VISION Review of the AVP-18

ricardojoa

« Reply #57 on: 5 Mar 2014, 04:24 pm »
Got a few questions regarding the avp18.

What are the firmware that i see available to download on the nuforce website? Do i need firmware update, if i a buy a brand new unit from overseas (hong Kong)?
Also, what is lowest crossover point for the high pass filter?

Thank you.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 6 Mar 2014, 05:29 am »
The lowest HP crossover is 1kHz.  The latest Firmware is always better than the previous/earlier one.  Unfortunately due to warehousing, the unit always come with the last firmware when that AVP-18 was build in the factory, a couple month lag in terms of firmware.  If you have no issue, you may not need to update the firmware.

ricardojoa

« Reply #59 on: 6 Mar 2014, 05:46 am »
The lowest HP crossover is 1kHz.  The latest Firmware is always better than the previous/earlier one.  Unfortunately due to warehousing, the unit always come with the last firmware when that AVP-18 was build in the factory, a couple month lag in terms of firmware.  If you have no issue, you may not need to update the firmware.

Hi,
thanks for the response.
Im not getting the HP crossover though. The minimum is 1Khz? Im kinda lost, i thought it would go down to 50 or 40 HZ?