Sub questions

studley

Sub questions
« on: 6 Nov 2017, 10:51 am »
I have a couple of questions:
1. When using the 12-04 driver in a sealed box, what is the usable frequency range?   In particular what is the highest frequency you would not want to go beyond?
2. The plans suggest using 3/4 inch MDF.  Could I use 1 inch, or would that make the baffle too thick for properly seating the driver?

Danny Richie

Re: Sub questions
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2017, 03:21 pm »
I have a couple of questions:
1. When using the 12-04 driver in a sealed box, what is the usable frequency range?   In particular what is the highest frequency you would not want to go beyond?
2. The plans suggest using 3/4 inch MDF.  Could I use 1 inch, or would that make the baffle too thick for properly seating the driver?

Range is about 16Hz to 125Hz.

Thicker is good. We even have a version of the box called the sand box that is rock solid. The more solid it is the better it will sound.

cordobaman

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2018, 01:55 am »
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a GR SW-12-04 and servo amp.

As I plan my enclosure, would 2 cubic feet be an advantage over the recommended 1.5 cubic feet?
Would a layer of Owens Corning 703 on the back wall be of any benefit?

I also noticed that the specs/parameters differ between the GR Research site and the Rythmik site.
Should I assume the GR site's specs are correct, or is Rythmik offering a slightly different version?

Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2018, 01:39 pm »
1.5 to 1.8 cubic feet is ideal.

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2018, 04:24 pm »
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a GR SW-12-04 and servo amp.

As I plan my enclosure, would 2 cubic feet be an advantage over the recommended 1.5 cubic feet?
Would a layer of Owens Corning 703 on the back wall be of any benefit?

I also noticed that the specs/parameters differ between the GR Research site and the Rythmik site.
Should I assume the GR site's specs are correct, or is Rythmik offering a slightly different version?

Thanks!

Rythmik does offer  some different  drivers with different specs but if you  are talking about the  "g" version  specifically,  I don't  know why the  specs would be any different.
For the interior of your cabinet, I'd line all inner  walls (between bracing &  around rear cutout)  with  no-rez.  It's the  hard damping layer on the back that  will help  control resonence..    I don't  think the  OC703 is  going to  help  deal with it at all

jay 

cordobaman

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2018, 12:38 pm »
Thanks for the responses! I think I will use some of my extra internal volume and do a variation of the sand box.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2018, 02:20 pm »

Heres a pic of the bottom half of my Super V under construction....center dividers not in.
These are sand filled.......the best subs I've ever heard.

If your interested on how, heres a build link...... https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=111180.0