Anyone go from Thiel to Salk?

narkleptic

Anyone go from Thiel to Salk?
« on: 22 Feb 2010, 09:14 pm »
Hi,
I'm currently running a set of baby Thiels, CS 1.5, and I'm wondering whether something like the Songtowers would be an upgrade or more of a lateral move.

Though I bought the Thiels used, I know they originally sold 15 years ago for $2k, (bricks and mortar of course). Of course, good as the Thiels are, speaker tech has advanced in the last decade and a half.

So how would you compare the Salk sound to the Thiel sound? I know that Thiels are very polarizing, but I enjoy their detail and imaging. I'm willing to sacrifice a little of that for overall musicality however--and it wouldn't hurt to have something a bit easier to drive.

I'd be using a Kyocera A-710 vintage integrated with a sweet warm sound and a ton of current. (60 amps).

coke

Re: Anyone go from Thiel to Salk?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2010, 02:49 pm »
I demoed a pair of CS 2.4 with bel canto equipment.   They were near the top of my list while searching for speakers.  If i remember correctly they seemed to have a laid back sound, which was very pleasing.  They were a little bass shy though.

Shortly after I listened to those, I went and listened to a pair of Dynaudio Contour S 1.4.  I prefered these over the Thiel and other speakers I had heard, and ended up coming home with a pair.

After a month or two using the Dynaudio at home, I decided to sell them and give Salk a try.  I now own a pair of HT2-TLs and they are in a completely different league than both the Thiel and Dynaudio.  Without going into much detail, I'll just say that they sound more "right".

Although I haven't heard a pair, it's been said that the Songtowers have 80-90% of the sound as the HT2-TL.   Based upon that, I think the songtowers and Thiel CS 2.4 would be really close.   

narkleptic

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply. It seems that based on your experience then, if the Songtowers are about the same level as Thiel 2.4s, its safe to assume they're a step up from the 1.5s I currently own.

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2010, 09:09 pm »
Coke,
Those are beaatiful HT2TL speakers.  What is the finish/veneer?

I demoed a pair of CS 2.4 with bel canto equipment.   They were near the top of my list while searching for speakers.  If i remember correctly they seemed to have a laid back sound, which was very pleasing.  They were a little bass shy though.

Shortly after I listened to those, I went and listened to a pair of Dynaudio Contour S 1.4.  I prefered these over the Thiel and other speakers I had heard, and ended up coming home with a pair.

After a month or two using the Dynaudio at home, I decided to sell them and give Salk a try.  I now own a pair of HT2-TLs and they are in a completely different league than both the Thiel and Dynaudio.  Without going into much detail, I'll just say that they sound more "right".

Although I haven't heard a pair, it's been said that the Songtowers have 80-90% of the sound as the HT2-TL.   Based upon that, I think the songtowers and Thiel CS 2.4 would be really close.