Cheap and Cheerful PC

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Cheap and Cheerful PC
« on: 21 Mar 2023, 04:32 am »
Looking for a desktop personal computer. Something decent for only surfing the internet and responding to the occasional email.

The only requirements is that:
1. It's not an "all in one". It has to a able to be repaired using normal parts if it were ever to go bad. I will probably add another hard drive for storage.
2. We only need the computer. If we need a different monitor, we will worry that later.
3. It has to be a reputable brand (Dell, HP, etc.).
4. If it was local (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.), I could show it to the person wanting it.

Doublej

Re: Cheap and Cheerful PC
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2023, 12:36 pm »
If size is not a concern then I suggest checking out the Dell Refurbished Outlet. $400, perhaps less if you search for a deal code, will at the moment get you are full sized desktop with a current generation Intel i3 processor.

If you want small and cheap, consider something like this Beelink for under $200.

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Desktop-Computer-Support-Ethernet/dp/B0BVLPCDVW

You'll have a lot more C&C choices if you buy a laptop. You can use it like a desktop buy connecting a monitor and keyboard to it and configuring it to stay on when the lid is closed.

Whatever you buy I would make sure that it either has or can be upgraded to Window 11. Windows 10 is scheduled to go end of life in 2.5 years.

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2023, 03:00 pm »
i don't recommend beelink as i got one that died fairly quickly and it has loud fan that couldn't be modulated. 

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2023, 03:21 pm »
I have had good experiences with the Amazon Renewed store.

How about this?

Or this which offers an optical drive?

zoom25

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2023, 08:27 pm »
Intel NUC?

I have had the NUC7PJYH and its been perfect for those tasks and as HTPC for Plex and music streaming. Dual 4k, 60Hz outputs. Only thing missing is HDR. The newer NUCs are even better, but not sure how the stocks are nowadays.

Just add RAM and storage. Then the operating system. You can also get fully assembled NUCs with OS and hardware preinstalled.

jmc207

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2023, 09:14 pm »
I have had good experiences with the Amazon Renewed store.

How about this?

Or this which offers an optical drive?

I've also had good success with refurbished computers but the two Optiplex 9020 linked above are old and will not run Windows 11. These 9020s have 4th gen Intel processors and 8th gen is where Windows 11 support starts. Optiplex 8th gen processor models would include the 3060, 5060, and 7060. Other models that end with 70, 80, 90 would be even newer.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2023, 01:02 am »
Definitely need a new one. After replacing hard drive and loading Windows 7, has issue booting up.

Budget $500. Something new, not used nor repaired. The old one was used. Something easily upgradable and repairable.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2023, 01:31 am »
New Dell Inspiron - $499.99 - 1¢ under budget

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/sr/desktops/inspiron-desktops

Comes with a 256GB M.2 SSD

Manual says:
One SATA 2.0 slot for slim optical drive (not included)
One SATA 3.0 slot for 3.5-inch/2.5-inch hard drive

You would have to contact Dell to see if a 2nd SSD can be added and if extra mounting hardware is included.
Configurations change frequently.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2023, 06:04 am »
That Dell computer in the post above looks like a winner.  But may I ask why they just don't get a Chrome Book.  They are dirt cheap and are perfect for web browsing and email.  I understand that they want a desktop but it is overkill for the purposes listed plus they take up a lot of space unless they want to use a large computer monitor.

Also, check Costco and Sam's club for better deals.

Microcenter usually has good deals like this-

https://www.microcenter.com/product/647823/powerspec-b249-desktop-computer

The build of the above computer looks real clean.  It also comes with a 400 watt power supply instead of a paltry 180 watt of that Dell.  The SSD is also 500gb vs 256.

They also have good deals on refurbished computers.

Dell computers and be iffy to fix sometimes.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2023, 06:00 pm »
No refurbished ones.

That first one looks promising.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2023, 01:50 am »
No refurbished ones.

That first one looks promising.

Upgrade the ram to 3200 and an additional 8 gb and you have a relatively fast machine.  You could also add a decent video card and and it would be even better.  But for browsing it is not needed.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2023, 10:19 pm »
That Dell computer in the post above looks like a winner.  But may I ask why they just don't get a Chrome Book.  They are dirt cheap and are perfect for web browsing and email.  I understand that they want a desktop but it is overkill for the purposes listed plus they take up a lot of space unless they want to use a large computer monitor.

Also, check Costco and Sam's club for better deals.

Microcenter usually has good deals like this-

https://www.microcenter.com/product/647823/powerspec-b249-desktop-computer

The build of the above computer looks real clean.  It also comes with a 400 watt power supply instead of a paltry 180 watt of that Dell.  The SSD is also 500gb vs 256.

They also have good deals on refurbished computers.

Dell computers and be iffy to fix sometimes.

I bought two.

One for me, and one for the other person needing.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2023, 01:50 am »
I bought two.

One for me, and one for the other person needing.

Let us know how you like them.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2023, 05:30 am »
I hate Windows 11. I don't have a problem with the hardware. (yet)

Mine has two new sticks of upgraded memory. The other one has my orginal memory and and its orginal memory. Mine is working. The other one needs to be setup later.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2023, 06:07 pm »
Micro Center is sold out of that PC.

VinceT

« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2023, 06:37 pm »
I use this company and build mine to whatever spec I want. I have built several workstations for the office and they never let me down.

https://pcserverandparts.com/refurbished-workstations/refurbished-hp-workstations/

They have HP and Dell workstations

For 500.00 you can build something that really rips and has a very robust chassis if you go with the HP Z series