Newbie - Which is better???

jcoat007

« on: 7 Aug 2003, 03:59 pm »
I am a total newbie to gaming.  I have a 6 yr old girl and 3 yr old boy and was thinking about getting a PS2 or XBOX.

While I might play it occasionally, this is mainly for the kids.  :(

Any thoughts?

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2003, 06:17 pm »
Well, you raise an interesting point.  6-12 mos ago, I would have said for your children's ages, the PS2 would have won hands down.  But with the new games and the better dvd player and built in HD in the X-box, the xbox is the sure winner.  The PS2 is past its prime :|   The xbox is still getting better and better optimized games.  Plus it will have a karaoke and dancing media sold in the next few months.

LordCloud

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2003, 09:13 pm »
Get an XBox, pick up Halo, Splinter Cell, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, and something for the kids, and never look back. These three games will provide you wilth countless hours of absolute video gaming bliss, I absolutely promise you! :D

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2003, 11:02 pm »
I'd look at a 'cube more than either a P2 or 'box for kids of that age. Nintendo has always had games that were more "family friendly" than Sony, Sega, MS, etc.

Now, they still are producing what many consider to be "kiddie" games. Nintendo has always aimed at the younger crowd it seems, unlike SOny & MS how are definitely aiming for the older gamers. But Nintendo's got stuff for older audiences as well. Such as the Resident Evil stuff. :D

I find myself playing my 'cube more than my 'box. Mainly because I have more fun replay wise with a couple of 'cube games and haven't felt the need to play any 'box games after I've finished them.

Oh, and if you should end up getting a 'box for your kids, be sure to get the Controller S for them. The standard MS controller is huge (and I know no one that cares for it's large size), but MS's Controller S is much, much eaiser to use being the smaller sized MS controller.

The 'cube definitely has more games for the younger crowd, while the older players usually like 'box games better. If I was to rec' one of the current gen consoles for your purposes, it'd be the 'cube. But why not get both the 'cube & 'box?... :mrgreen:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2003, 03:00 am »
Well, just to be contrary, I love the large controller!  But it is for us he man types only! :P

I really don't care for the cube; the RE game I didn't really like (although I loved it on the PS & DC).  Still, Bubba is right about it having a lot of kiddie games.

I tend to think I'd pick the P2 over the box for kids games.  Most of the 'Box games are more adult oriented and the selection is much smaller than that for the P2.

However, if this is really for you and the kids are just an excuse  :wink: :lol:  , then I'd go for the Xbox.  It creams the other two for graphics and sound, and Halo is the killer app for console gaming.  Add to that games like Morrowind, the upcoming Halo2, KotOR, etc, and it's untouchable.

Until the P3... :lol:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2003, 10:45 pm »
I am not very familiar with the alternatives, but if you want to make it a part of your Home Theater experience, I would go for the X-Box. Lots of good features, and graphics and sound seem to be the best from what I hear.

Also for 6 and 3 year olds, won't an adult need to be there?

There are probably plenty of games on Xbox for that age group, and the amount of time they will play over the next couple of years. No need for thousands of games that are out for the PS-2.

Looking forward to having you in the cult of HALO   8)  (Haven't played it much lately myself)

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2003, 11:34 pm »
Quote from: LordCloud
Get an XBox, pick up Halo, Splinter Cell, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, and something for the kids, and never look back. These three games will provide you wilth countless hours of absolute video gaming bliss, I absolutely promise you! :D

I second what he said.

OF all the cross-platform games that come out, Xbox is hands down the one professional game reviewers choose as the best version of the game.

For some reason, Gamecube cross-platform games are lacking compared to the effort developers put into the Xbox and PS2 versions.

If you're a tweaker, the Xbox can also be transformed into a multimedia player.  A very flexible machine indeed!

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2003, 06:29 am »
If this is mainly a purchase for the kids, then I'd definitely recommend Gamecube.  As an owner of all 3 consoles, the Xbox is seriously lacking in games kids would enjoy and the PS2 has more, but the GCN is where it's at for children.  Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong are all franchises that kids love.  This is an absolute no brainer.  Besides, I still believe Nintendo makes the best 1st party games hands down and the lack of great third party versions of games should not matter to your kids.  In addition, it's the cheapest at $99.

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2003, 02:53 pm »
mcrespo71 has it right.

My son is 13 and has all 3.  In order of preference for kids, GameCube is easily #1, followed fairly closely by the PS2 with the 'box a distant third.  It's simply a function of their respective target markets and availability of games suitable for children the age of yours.

IMO, you'll be hard pressed to find X-Box games appropriate for 3-6 year-olds.

DU

Askar

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2003, 01:36 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
If this is mainly a purchase for the kids, then I'd definitely recommend Gamecube.  As an owner of all 3 consoles, the Xbox is seriously lacking in games kids would enjoy and the PS2 has more, but the GCN is where it's at for children.  Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong are all franchises that kids love.  This is an absolute no brainer.  Besides, I still believe Nintendo makes the best 1st party games hands down and the lack of great third party versions of games should not matter to your kids.  In addition, it's the cheapest at $99.

I seriously beg to differ.  I have 4 kids ranging from age 7 to 11.  Their favorite game is Halo.  They always want to play the Xbox even though I we also have the Dreamcast, Playstation, and PS2.   I think a lot of people underestimate kids gaming interests.  If you only give your kids the cartoony games, that's what they will like, but if you give them access to all games, they will love the cool games too.  If you only want one console and it's really for the kids only, then I would probably grudgingly recommend the Cube due to it's low price and a lot more games made specifically for kids, but the Xbox is the best console and I believe has not only the best first party games but also the best version of most if not all multiconsole games as well.  Of the current generation of games the Box is the most futureproof.  I really recommend just getting all of them so you can decide for yourself which is best.