Silent Hill for Xbox

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Silent Hill for Xbox
« on: 4 Mar 2003, 07:09 am »
My brother just picked up Silent Hill 2 & Reign of Fire for the 'box today.  Haven't had RoF in yet, but have been checking out SH2.  So far, no real improvement on the P2 version.  The graphics are basically the same, perhaps a little bit of edge to the 'box on lighting/shading effects.  The ever-present fog seems a little more natural looking on the 'box, too.  Unfortunately the same clumsy control and PITA 'camera' angles.

I have to admit, there are getting to be enough good games for the Xbox that I'm starting to consider ditching my P2 and all my games to buy another 'box.  I've got only 2 Xbox games versus maybe 6-7 for the P2, but I haven't turned on my P2 in nearly six months! :o

bubba966

Silent Hill for Xbox
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2003, 08:52 am »
I've not played Silent Hill 1 or 2. What would you say it's like?

I'm sure just as soon as you ditch your P2 you'll come across something you'll want to play on it.

But then again maybe not. I sold my P2 5 hours after I got it (on the system launch date) and haven't felt any need to replace it yet. And I've gotten much more use out of the rear speakers I bought with the $800 I got for my P2 than I woulda gotten out of the P2 if I'd kept it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Silent Hill for Xbox
« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2003, 09:00 am »
It's kinda derivative of Resident Evil.  However, there's not nearly so much fighting; your character is just a "normal guy" with no military training, nor any real fighting ability for that matter.  The game is very dark & dimly lit, and extremely spooky.  Creep lighting and eerie sound design injects a surprising amount of fear and dread into the game.  But it just moves a little slow for me, and there isn't enough action.

I liked SH1 enough to buy #2 when it came out for the P2, but I never finished the 2nd one.  It just didn't hold my interest.  I will admit to being very fickle when it comes to games.  Still, it has a lot of cool elements.  It's now available for the 'box @ $20.  Worth a look if you're a patient sort that values depth over hacking and slashing, 'cause there really isn't any hacking or slashing!