What's your impression on the Dulcet?

Chuckyboy

« on: 23 Jan 2004, 02:54 am »
I am looking at this speaker as my next upgrade plan. Can anybody share his listening notes on this speaker? btw, I plan to mate it with an 80wpc Unico hybrid amp. You think it's a good idea? or am I nuts :?

cyounkman

Re: What's your impression on the Dulcet?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2004, 03:10 pm »
It sounds like a great starting point to me... The Dulcet is supposed to be 88db, so 80 watts is probably a good place to start... To get the maximum dynamics and bass and such it might take even more power.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard it yet--it was just inroduced (for a second time) at CES.  Anthony was there, but apparently couldn't find the time to visit the Reference 3A / Divergent  room :nono:

Derek at NFAudio is getting a pair, and has offered a listening session to any r3a members in his area-- he's in the Vancouver area. I will see if I can get him to post his impressions here...

Let us know if you hear the Dulcets anywhere.  What's the rest of your system? What speakers have you owned in the past?

Quote from: Chuckyboy
I am looking at this speaker as my next upgrade plan. Can anybody share his listening notes on this speaker? btw, I plan to mate it with an 80wpc Unico hybrid amp. You think it's a good idea? or am I nuts :?

Jonathan

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2004, 06:15 pm »
I plan to mate it with an 80wpc Unico hybrid amp. You think it's a good idea? or am I nuts

I use the Unico with the De Capos and it's a really nice combination. I don't know how the sound of the Dulcet compares to the De Capo, but I would assume there are sonic similarities. I guess the question is whether 80 wpc is enough. It's certainly more than enough for the De Capos in my medium sized room, however they're more efficient than the Dulcets.  I would think you'll be fine.

Do bear in mind that the Unico is a tad bit lacking in the presentation of air between the instruments and a sense of space; nor does it have the deepest bass. That being said, it's still quite good sounding, and a bargain for the price. It has a wonderful midrange and plenty of slam. I've owned an Audio Analogue Puccini SE and a Musical Fidelity A 3.2, and the Unico is much better sounding than both of these amps in my system (although the Puccini SE was really nice if you're not looking to turn it up and rock on occassion).

Good luck...

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2004, 06:26 pm »
Why don't you just buy a used pair of MM De Capo's and upgrade the tweeter?  The price is right and there are lots of happy customers out there with this combo.

Michael

cyounkman

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2004, 09:33 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Why don't you just buy a used pair of MM De Capo's and upgrade the tweeter?  The price is right and there are lots of happy customers out there with this combo.

Michael

A pair of used DC's and a tweeter upgrade comes to roughly the same money as the projected Dulcet price, doesn't it? Upsides: more amp choices, more bass, better dynamics (presumably); downsides: that whole used thing, and possibly a less refined sound than the newer Dulcet. Of course size and appearance are based on your preference and living situation; the Dulcets are probably prettier and certainly smaller; the DC's have always struck people as a bit squat and square in a love-it/hate-it sort of way.

brucegel

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2004, 02:18 am »
The dulcets lesser efficiency is a puzzlement to me.If it is the same as the decapo i minus the lower frequency than I may use it as a nearfield monitor and my decapo as far fields in my studio.

Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2004, 03:36 am »
I may use it as a nearfield monitor and my decapo as far fields in my studio.

Not to steer this thread into a tangent, but I'm curious what kind of studio you have. Do you play or are you a technical guy? I've been a professional musician for most of my life, so I'm always curious to meet other musicians who are also into hi fi (I haven't met too many of them).

Thanks,

Jon

Chuckyboy

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2004, 01:28 pm »
Quote from: cyounkman
It sounds like a great starting point to me... The Dulcet is supposed to be 88db, so 80 watts is probably a good place to start... To get the maximum dynamics and bass and such it might take even more power.

I was told that Dulcet can boogie with 30-40 wpc (generally, by someone in Reference 3A) so I figured an 80wpc Unico can really make it sing. Plus giving me the chance for a valve amplification in the future once I get bored with the Unico (assuming it's an easy load for a good P/P tube amp). The sad part is that I have not heard it before as there are no dealers in my area. So I plan to get it direct from factory. I may have to rely on impressions/reviews on this speaker and that is the only reason I am delaying my purchase.

Btw, I am currently using audience 42  and tubed Heart CD5000 CDP. Analysis Plus on cabling and IC.

cyounkman

efficiency, studios, etc
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2004, 12:28 am »
Quote from: brucegel
The dulcets lesser efficiency is a puzzlement to me.If it is the same as the decapo i minus the lower frequency than I may use it as a nearfield monitor and my decapo as far fields in my studio.

Generally, speakers become less efficient as they get smaller. This isn't to say they can't be amp-friendly (in terms of impedance); and skipping the lowest frequencies will avoid problems, particularly with a lot of low-power amps. I'd love to hear them near-field--I've had some lovely results with the De Capos in the nearfield lately.

Quote from: Jonathan
I may use it as a nearfield monitor and my decapo as far fields in my studio.

Not to steer this thread into a tangent, but I'm curious what kind of studio you have. Do you play or are you a technical guy? I've been a professional musician for most of my life, so I'm always curious to meet other musicians who are also into hi fi (I haven't met too many of them).

Thanks,

Jon

Do I count? I'm a former, non-electronic musician (I studied piano performance). It is vexing to see how many musicians listen on crap systems. I have a list and I'm converting them one by one.

I'm also really interested in setting up a mobile studio based on my laptop and a usb/firewire ADC. Anyone done that? Do you mix/edit on a PC, Jonathan?

I was told that Dulcet can boogie with 30-40 wpc (generally, by someone in Reference 3A) so I figured an 80wpc Unico can really make it sing. Plus giving me the chance for a valve amplification in the future once I get bored with the Unico (assuming it's an easy load for a good P/P tube amp). The sad part is that I have not heard it before as there are no dealers in my area. So I plan to get it direct from factory. I may have to rely on impressions/reviews on this speaker and that is the only reason I am delaying my purchase.

Btw, I am currently using audience 42 and tubed Heart CD5000 CDP. Analysis Plus on cabling and IC.

No surprise that the Dulcet is designed to provide better efficiency than your average small monitor. If 30-40 watts really work well, it will provide a lot more amp options than your standard stand-mount.

Anyway, keep us posted.

brucegel

studio work and dulcets
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2004, 04:58 am »
I am setting up my home studio for my own projects.I primarily do keyboard based work but also play guitars and percussion.My work is in the same vein as eno,schulze,rypdal, and many others if I have to compare which I am loathe to do but necessary to give folks an idea.But my main rig is for location classical and world music.For the gear geeks...grace 801R eight channel pre,dangerous music eight channel mixer, benchmark ad into masterlink.royer mics and geffel mics and saving up for some schoeps and earthworks.

mcrespo71

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2004, 10:20 pm »
and possibly a less refined sound than the newer Dulcet.

I'd be surprised if the Dulcet had a more refined sound than the MM De Capo.  I own the "i" version of the MM De Capo and I don't think there is such a marked difference in refinement, if at all, over the older MM De Capo.  I doubt Reference 3a would purposely create a more refined speaker than the MM De Capo at $1K less.  I just don't think they have such a poorly thought out business plan.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2004, 10:05 pm »

I think you would do very well to mate those two units.  I have owned the UNICO and it is a brilliant little integrated amp with plenty of juice. Also I was able to hear the DULCETS with both solid state gear and tube gear at CES/T.H.E. SHOW this year and all the all tube amps were my favorite.  They were using ASL pre and the AQ1009 845 DT monoblocks.

If you can, I would say get a nice used Antique Sound Labs amp and you've got yourself a killer little system.  Maybe even look at trying one of the "baby" amps from Sophia Electronics.  There are a few used "baby" Sophias on Audiogon right now for under $600.

But look here for a really killer deal:
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1079152697

Snatch that amp up before someone else does (like me if you aren't careful).

CMM

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2004, 04:53 pm »
I will be able to tell you shortly if Dulcet and Unico match well, since I just purchased the Dulcets yesterday to be used with my Unico amp.  My initial reaction is very positive.  The speakers look very nice.  Fit and finish is first rate.  Out of the box the speakers sound quite revealing and soundstage is excellent.  Bass response is also excellent and they can play quite loud.  These are the first characteristics that I have noticed.  I have been using Spendor S3/5, which I still own.  The Spendors are excellent speakers but different from the Dulcets.  I also used Epos M12 with the Unico.  Again great speakers in my opinion, but the Dulcets appear to be a nice upgrade from the Epos.  After break in period, I will post my impressions.

cyounkman

« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2004, 06:43 am »
I'd be surprised if the Dulcet had a more refined sound than the MM De Capo...  I doubt Reference 3a would purposely create a more refined speaker than the MM De Capo at $1K less.  I just don't think they have such a poorly thought out business plan.

A valid point. Of course, divine inspiration answers to no accountant... (not that I would know.)

I own the "i" version of the MM De Capo and I don't think there is such a marked difference in refinement, if at all, over the older MM De Capo.

Am I the only person who heard a big, significant difference with the tweeter upgrade? (assuming the tweeter upgrade is the same difference as the i/non-i difference) For that matter, did we ever really post our full impressions? Anthony?

mcrespo71

« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2004, 07:03 am »
^^Well, I can only base my comparison on memories of the old MM De Capo vs. when my MM De Capo I finally arrived.  Thus, anyone who did the tweeter upgrade can make a more valid argument for the differences than I can.  However, the original MM De Capo is what I fell in love with, so I was just happy the I version sounded like what I remembered.  Regardless, the original MM De Capo is still one hell of a speaker and if I were given the choice between in and the Dulcet, there is no ? I'd take the MM De Capo.  I like the sensitivity and ability to choose basically any amp I want.^^